• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial - Reds V Chiefs @ Toowoomba Sat 8th Feb 7:40pm (AEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
How was Toua defensively? My biggest question marks about him after last year had to do with his ability to do the custodial duties at 15. He looks slick as on attack in that video, I want this to be his year!

The clips where the Chiefs scored on us were a bit alarming but without the rest of the game as context, and especially without seeing the leadup phases it's hard to take too much away from that.

We looked slick on attack, with Quade on song there is no reason we can't be the top scoring team in Australia, or at least tied with the 'Tahs.

The tempo the boys played with on attack was great to see again. It's a model that worked very well for us in 2011 and I'm happy to see it back.

Daley stood out as a much improved ball-carrier.

Taps and Ships showing good strength in contact a few times there and kept play alive instead of giving a turnover. I'd still rather see Taps at 12 though.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The build up to the Harris try was impressive. Good continuity and plenty of quick ball. The pigs look fit and strong.
as USARugger said the Chiefs tries were a bit of a worry but I think a bit of tinkering with the defensive systems should iron out many of those issues.
At the end of the day it's only a trial but I'm liking what I'm seeing.
Coming out of that news article, the biggest worry for me was the apparent lack of discipline. We really should be making our discipline a big focus. It's so easy to undo all the good work building pressure and points with silly penalties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thanks for the video. Quade looks to be spot on with his goal kicking again.

Couldn't help noticing that in the first half clip one or two Reds forwards went off their feet at their own breakdown on probably every occasion. Will need to get that out of their game or will be heavily penalised imo.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Note that the same caveat applies as with the Tahs, as the Chiefs apparently had about one third of their first choice team out.

Messam, Retallick, Anscombe, Latimer, Elliott all missing, along with Horrell and Aki who were on the bench a lot of last year.

Chiefs team was apparently:
1. Manu 2. Marshall 3. Afeaki 4. Symons 5. Fitzgerald 6. Crosswell 7. Cane 8. Axtens 9. Kerr-Barlow 10. West (Cruden was named to start) 11. Tikoirotuma 12. Ngatai 13. Fruean 14. Lowe 15. Nanai-Williams

Res: Harris, Firth, Allardice, Tietjens, Weber, Cruden (swapped with West), Pulu, Barrett, Lienert-Brown, Tyrell, Payne, Ware, Macintosh

Rebels target Ihaia West apparently went quite well, with Cruden not being much of an improvement.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
All i have to say about this photo. is "fucken kiwis"

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-frc1/t1/1898149_10152183086055236_470028935_n.jpg

Its a shame.... given Australian rugby now has a distinct kiwi flavour at all levels... love em or hate em... Its the reason why your competitive at all...

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Its a shame.. given Australian rugby now has a distinct kiwi flavour at all levels. love em or hate em. Its the reason why your competitive at all.
I think he was referring to the cuzz in the New Zealand jersey texting on his phone. Right side of the photo.

And if Kiwis want to live in a country that's not a couple of shitty little islands in the south pacific how is that our fault.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

armatt

Fred Wood (13)
I was at the game and had an ordinary view of it all, but a few observations:

- Our set piece was very, very good. Don't remember losing any of our own, and we took a number of their lineouts, and at least one scrum. Also mauled well a few times.

- Toua was very impressive in all facets, not just the out-and-out attack in the video. At one stage in D he killed a 5 on 2 with aplomb. Starting 15 jersey is his to lose.

- We weren't committing huge numbers at all to the breakdown, and were after quick ball. That also gave the Chiefs quick ball, but our defence was smothering. We switched off a little for the tries we leaked but they were aberrations. Structures seemed very good. I can't see D being an issue after Richard Graham's success with us there last year.

- Our back row again stood up. Schatz in particular was everywhere. Made a few good hits in defence too.

All in all, very happy. Drove back to BNE feeling pretty confident.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
I think he was referring to the cuzz in the New Zealand jersey texting on his phone. Right side of the photo.

And if Kiwis want to live in a country that's not a couple of shitty little islands in the south pacific how is that our fault.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Haha... inferior complex - doesnt mean my statement is any less true - And if the colonial powers want to settle in one of the islands in the pacific - rape and pillage the locals, take away their land and resources and install their own laws... Its the queens fault

T

TOCC

It was a dig at the bloke in the All Blacks jersey playing with his mobile whilst there is a try been scored 5m in front of him..

I actually love kiwis, but when it comes to cross-Tasman sports all pleasantries are put aside..

From what I've seen, kiwis from across the dutch carry the same mentality.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Haha. inferior complex - doesnt mean my statement is any less true
No the fact that your statement isn't true means that your statement isn't true.
Take the Tongans, Samoans and even Aussies out of the ABs squad and it will be looking a little meh too bro. Same can be said for pretty much any nation these days. The world is a small place. Pity some folks minds are smaller still.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Haha. inferior complex - doesnt mean my statement is any less true - And if the colonial powers want to settle in one of the islands in the pacific - rape and pillage the locals, take away their land and resources and install their own laws. Its the queens fault

What makes this funny is you really think it's true.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Big Kerevi is injured. Forget what, but was on crutches today. Could be out for 6-10 apparently.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
That sucks!! Need a dislike button for that one Reg. Was really looking forward to seeing what he can do!

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
It was a dig at the bloke in the All Blacks jersey playing with his mobile whilst there is a try been scored 5m in front of him..

I actually love kiwis, but when it comes to cross-Tasman sports all pleasantries are put aside..

From what I've seen, kiwis from across the dutch carry the same mentality.

Yeah I know, theres many ways to interpret this scene and I chose to take it another way, to broaden discussion :)

No the fact that your statement isn't true means that your statement isn't true.
Take the Tongans, Samoans and even Aussies out of the ABs squad and it will be looking a little meh too bro. Same can be said for pretty much any nation these days. The world is a small place. Pity some folks minds are smaller still.

I support Manu Samoa, we're bottom of the heap and that fine - not any of the colonial powers - so infact your observations dont really apply in this situation... And its a real stretch of ur imagination to claim any Aussie of note has played any significant role in the current ABs than the reverse (with the Wobblies)... So I'd keep some of that pity in the hope it may inspire a credible retort...haha

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
From the highlights the Reds looked good, plenty of structure, skills looked good and they played at a good pace.

Obviously the video was cherry picked but that's how I saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.