• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TYS Wallaby Player of the Year v FRA

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah Mumm seems to have forgotten the lines for a 6, he was great at lock last week, but he seems lost at 6 at the moment.

G

GC

Just watched the match finally - hard to avoid media reports all day to see who won.

3. Smith
2. Moore
1. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Barnes, Gits, Burgess, Brown, Robinson also good.

Morty, Mumm average.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Mumm and Barnes were hardly shit. Shit was O'Gara for the Lions. Mumm is never spectacular, and just does solid work. I must have missed all his howling errors last night. What did he do that was "shit"? Barnes stuffed some kicks, but defended well, and dished a beautiful ball for Giteau's try. I accept neither were candidates for MOM, but shit?? More to the point, what did Pocock do that was notably champion-like in comparison?

After watching the game again on fox, Barnes wasn't that bad but Mumm was crud.

Whenever Mumm ran the ball he ran to high & away from support & bacisally turned over ball everytime.

I just feel safe whenever Pocock is covering the inside ball runner & drifting behind players like JOC (James O'Connor) & Drew Mitchell that he is going to make the tackle & hopefully get the turnover or at least slow down the ball.

I have a high regard for great defenders that's why I thrashwank whenever Pocock get's a run.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
3-smith
2-turner
1-burgo

i cant wait for rocky and palu to get back, the point made earlier about mumm running to high was spot on, but i want to ad brown to that list. i thought he had some shocking moments, he only gets over the advantage line by speed, time and time again in traffic he was pushed backwards before going to ground.

he put on a few good hits to make up for it though.

i think mumm is a better 6 option than hodgo at the moment though.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Scotty said:
Mumm really needs to drop back to the bench as 6/lock cover.

Then again Cockbain, Finegan & Elsom all took a while to find their feet at blindside.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
naza said:
Scotty said:
Mumm really needs to drop back to the bench as 6/lock cover.

Then again Cockbain, Finegan & Elsom all took a while to find their feet at blindside.

Indeed. I can't quite work out why Mumm hasn't gone so well for the Wallabies at 6, while doing exceptionally well at lock. He went very well at 6 for the Tahs last year when Rocky was injured and then again all this year. He is clearly a test-standard player, which makes his less than exciting form at 6 for the Wallabies a little puzzling. Maybe, like so many others, he just needs time, as you write.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
3 Robinson (scrum, lineout, ruck, and two turnovers that I counted)
2 Smith (freak)
1 Burgess (starting to look really dangerous and even more so once he figures out the 100% option to take)

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
3 - George Smith (he can't be 2 and 1 as well can he?)
2 - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
1 - Benn Robinson :robinson:

Interestingly Gits doesn't make it despite racking up all 22 points...

Spot on about Mumm having a talent for getting isolated. I'm telling you he just isn't built to be a 6.
As they say in biomechanics, he's got "dorky legs"

PS - Doesn't it suck when you have to defend the guy in your avatar? ;D

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm yet to see the game but Smith obviously played a blinder which is even more meritorious given that Mumm was The Invisible Man and he was matched against Dussatoir (who is world class) and Ouedraogo (pretty damn good). I think Smith is the greatest Wallaby since Eales. That might be harsh on Larkham, but Smith's durability and consistency are astounding given his position, the way he plays and the way the game has evolved since he started playing.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Interesting "interview" between Robbo and Smith before the Italy game. Robbo was sledging Smith for being a fatty in his earlier playing days while Smith said his extra padding could be thanked for him having so few injuries.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
the gambler said:
Interesting "interview" between Robbo and Smith before the Italy game. Robbo was sledging Smith for being a fatty in his earlier playing days while Smith said his extra padding could be thanked for him having so few injuries.

Hasn't worked for Matt Dunning.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
3. Smith
2. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
1. Burgess

Honourable mentions for Brown, Giteau, Moore and Robinson.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i didnt think brown was effective. he put on some good shots in defence but his runnin game needs work at test level.
i know his high work rate is what got him there, but i would be happier for him to touch the ball less if he could be more effective when he does.

he got pushed backwards every second run and kept getting trapped alone.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
It's sad to say, but Brownie is unco. He's almost as unco as Al Baxter. He always looks like his studs are too long.

That's my analysis of why he's not as effective as he should be.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Le Scarf said:
That's my analysis of why he's not as effective as he should be.

Like Hoiles and Scotty Fava, he's an openside trying to play #8. Its not his fault he's a lightweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.