• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TYS Wallaby Player of the Year v FRA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Le Scarf said:
It's sad to say, but Brownie is unco. He's almost as unco as Al Baxter. He always looks like his studs are too long.

That's my analysis of why he's not as effective as he should be.

Because his studs are too long or he's unco?

He isnt unco, he is lightweight though. That is ok, but he needs to understand his limitations and his strengths. He cant truck it up directly into Botha and Matfield. He could do it just to the side of them and put on a step, use his speed etc.

If Elsom or another strong running 6 were playing, Brown would be ok as an 8. As it is, the backrow doesnt have balance.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Elsom has a similar issue though. He uses his speed a bit wide of the ruck to make meters, he doesn't generally make anything straight into the teeth of the forwards like Palu, Moore, Horwill and TPN can.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Scotty said:
Elsom has a similar issue though. He uses his speed a bit wide of the ruck to make meters, he doesn't generally make anything straight into the teeth of the forwards like Palu, Moore, Horwill and TPN can.

Correct - he's a seagull. Its not easy for tall blokes with a high centre of gravity though.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If we had some decent hooker reserves, I'd love to see TPN at 8. He is one of the most skilled forwards we have, and has some toe for a nuggety bloke.

S

Spook

Rocky made plenty of metres up the guts for Leinster this year. Very effective with pick and driving. Big question is, how good or bad were the opposition? Elsom did look stronger but we won't know until he starts playing test rugby....

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think anyone can make meters up the middle with a pick and drive of fast ball, in fact the faster the player the more metres they will make. I think we will find he will struggle when the pill comes out a bit slower.

S

Spook

Scotty said:
I think anyone can make meters up the middle with a pick and drive of fast ball, in fact the faster the player the more metres they will make. I think we will find he will struggle when the pill comes out a bit slower.

The ball is slower in the mud of Ireland.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Mud controls the speed of the ball much less than the defense and pressure at the breakdown of the opposition.

S

Spook

You seen the mud here? :) I agree with you but they play the game pretty tight up here.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Spook said:
You seen the mud here? :) I agree with you but they play the game pretty tight up here.
We have mud in NZ too, and it doesn't slow the Kiwi game down. That's just an old NH excuse for being shit at rucks and going into a spontaneous masty over 5 minute mauls.

Status
Not open for further replies.