• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

U20s WC

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
France 16-7 NZ totally outplayed & some dumb footy esp in the first half when we had a big wind at our backs but seldom used it to get field position: won a penalty on halfway late in the half & down 0-3 & we ran it FFS.

England 32-31 in the other semi so Final will be a repeat of the 6N U20 decider that England won by ~20 points (but I'd expect France to at least get much closer with a big home crowd behind them).

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
England have been quite dominant in U20 WC over recent years - think they won it 2013, 14 and 16 (NZ won in 2015 and 17) and were runners up most years that they didn't win. That dominance doesn't seem to have transferred to senior rugby, not sure why that is.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
France 16-7 NZ totally outplayed & some dumb footy esp in the first half when we had a big wind at our backs but seldom used it to get field position: won a penalty on halfway late in the half & down 0-3 & we ran it FFS.

England 32-31 in the other semi so Final will be a repeat of the 6N U20 decider that England won by ~20 points (but I'd expect France to at least get much closer with a big home crowd behind them).

Great play by France, at least the last 30 mins I saw.

They played out of their skins.

Can't see England beating that team.

And how The F England almost lost a a game they were so totally in control of in the first half, I do not know.

I saw SA come back in the second half v Ireland, and demolish them after being behind. Seems they must have done the same to England.

They must have some good tactical coaches, to do that twice.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Oh well. Would've been nice to win, but a close semifinal is good enough to suggest that the development is still chugging along, which is most important at this level.

Though I read that England has won every final they've played against not-NZ opposition (3-0), but lost every final against NZ (0-5). Here's hoping le Frenchies can blemish that record.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="fr" dir="ltr">Superbe stamping à 20 m du ballon. Par contre c&#39;est pas sur la tête, mais bien le bras. Après le français, ça fait deux fois qu&#39;il est du mauvais coté. Il a rien à foutre là. <a href="https://t.co/wlQOhmZZFc">pic.twitter.com/wlQOhmZZFc</a></p>&mdash; greub (@greub1) <a href="">June 12, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seems the TMO downgraded it to just a penalty because it was on the arm. Though I'm pretty sure stamping is a red, regardless.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Think you’ve read that wrong. He praised the forwards and wants to see continued development on those positions at the professional level.
That's the size of it. No offense to any of the current players. Hamish Stewart looks great. My point was that we had a prop problem and now we have high quality young props coming out the wazoo. At senior level we have position problems- behind Foley, Genia, at 6 etc. Can we do the same thing we did to fix the prop problem with those positions (I know it is not that simple).

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
That's the size of it. No offense to any of the current players. Hamish Stewart looks great. My point was that we had a prop problem and now we have high quality young props coming out the wazoo. At senior level we have position problems- behind Foley, Genia, at 6 etc. Can we do the same thing we did to fix the prop problem with those positions (I know it is not that simple).
There are 3 quality 9's in this age group. Lonergan, McDermot (both captains) and Goodard who many on this site believe to be the best, but stayed home on Rebels duty.

Stewart looks the goods at 10. Also, we have seen very little of Harrison who is young and is a huge talent also coming through.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
Bayley Kuenzle was certainly a massive upgrade at 12. Lucas may well be a good 10 but he was not showing capability at 12 which was a big problem in the NZ game. Full of energy but limited effectiveness. The side today was the most balanced it has looked and well served by all. 13 was very impactful, 10 was solid and the forwards were outstanding.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
There are 3 quality 9's in this age group. Lonergan, McDermot (both captains) and Goodard who many on this site believe to be the best, but stayed home on Rebels duty.

Stewart looks the goods at 10. Also, we have seen very little of Harrison who is young and is a huge talent also coming through.

And maybe the tide is turning. As I said, my comment was not about the current crop, more that I'd like to see gaps in our senior side plugged and that previous U20 hopefuls in some positions haven't cracked on like we hoped. On the other hand we have depth in spades with props. Take tighthead: Kepu, AAA, Tupou, Vui, Ainsley. Three test standard. Two very promising up-and-comers (with no pressure to mature too soon)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bayley Kuenzle was certainly a massive upgrade at 12. Lucas may well be a good 10 but he was not showing capability at 12 which was a big problem in the NZ game. Full of energy but limited effectiveness. The side today was the most balanced it has looked and well served by all. 13 was very impactful, 10 was solid and the forwards were outstanding.

c'mon big fellah...you can do it..I'm sure you're able to bring yourself to name a QLDer in a positive manner. Give it a shot.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
c'mon big fellah.you can do it..I'm sure you're able to bring yourself to name a QLDer in a positive manner. Give it a shot.

You seem to have that well covered champ. I will leave it to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Stewart was terrific and diverse and you get the sense he has far more potential in him. A handful of things he tried were creative but didn't quite work. You get the feeling he will learn with him when some of those things will/won't work and how to be slightly better at them.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
McTaggart is the weak link. He let in 3 tries against the Italian winger, 2 were very soft tries from extremely lazy defensive efforts. It's time to start Latu. We need someone who can tackle and makes the effort to chase back hard when you miss a tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.