• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Un-Australian Activities 2019

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez it must be the rugby season on G&GR and the whinges about refs have started already! I thught the Red card was tough, but as Brodie said, they have been told time and time again about contact to head with shoulders etc!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I did pick the Clan to win, but was wrong about the reason, I thought Leger would come unstuck, but he wasn't too bad, Chiefs seemed to have ALP mainly doing the damage in backline, but not a lot else, thought Manu at centre looked like a bloody good ITM cup player, not real sure he going to do too much damage at this level. Big Bad Brodie was pretty bloody good I thought. The Clan did it with their bench, mind you with A Smith on bench it going to make a difference when he comes on, geez he puts the ball to players in space so bloody fast, the whole backline starts running onto ball with pace, Ben S came into game a lot more after Aaron came on. have to like the work Whitelock and Hemopo played well, and Frizzel looked not too bad when he came on too.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Wouldn’t be rugby season without you getting up on the high horse about the ref always being right, Dan.

Not about the ref always being right UTG, because they not, it's about the stupid comments about the refs, and not much about the actual game!!
Still I guess it shows the mentality of some posters?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So the year kicks off well with a ridiculous red card in the chiefs v highlanders match

As I've posted a few times, a player going into contact with his head lowered has to take some responsibility if it ends badly. Not sure what part of Lurch the tackler was supposed to wrap his arms around 'cos you can't tackle someone around the neck & if you go low you likely cop a knee or other body part to the head.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway it Saturday, so really looking forward to Blues/Crusaders tonight. Both teams look pretty well top line (allowing for AB rests etc), though not sure where Goodhue is in Saders backline(hurt?). Regardless both teams got impressive 23, Blues have got 3-4 ABs on bench, so shouldn't get hurt when replacements come on. I am most interested to see how they go with Black at 10, and having Nonu's experience in midfield will certainly help. With Crusaders will be interesting to see Ennor at centre, because we know how good the rest of them generally are.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
As I've posted a few times, a player going into contact with his head lowered has to take some responsibility if it ends badly. Not sure what part of Lurch the tackler was supposed to wrap his arms around 'cos you can't tackle someone around the neck & if you go low you likely cop a knee or other body part to the head.
They can be seen to be doing something about high tackles and head knocks without it being a practical or workable solution. The nipple line would have been the same if implemented. Impossible to play rugby that way.

Couple of games ruined but some political gains.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
lol soup season is 2 MINUTES old before the game grinds to a trytime stiffy-killing halt and we spend the next 8 minutes watching 800 replays while being subjected to Justine Marshite waxing omniscient that this one will be given and so, of course, once he's said that you just KNOW the exact fucken opposite would happen. Which it did. Rogered call really but the poor TMO is not there to guess. If the cross-eyed alkie can't find a definitive angle then he7s not paid to imaginatively extrapolate.

Fun game though. ALB looked CLASSY.

As usual, everyone writes off the Chiefs preseason but they just slot some new pricks in and still look dangerous

That fucktard benchclot that smashed BBBR's head in during a world cup year should be shot out of a goddamn cannon in the general direction of the Pitcairns. GTFO

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They can be seen to be doing something about high tackles and head knocks without it being a practical or workable solution. The nipple line would have been the same if implemented. Impossible to play rugby that way.

Couple of games ruined but some political gains.

Yeah, World U20's could become a real mess if they insist on tacklers having to bend at the waist. I'm all for protecting players heads but ffs WR (World Rugby)'s own research shows that it's the tackler most at risk of head injury yet they keep adding greater & greater sanctions on the tackler if things go wrong while the ball carrier can pretty much do whatever the fuck he wants. Hopefully nobody has to die before responsibility for the outcome of a tackle / collision is shared say 60% tackler 40% carrier 'cos right now it seems more like 80/20.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Either way, the offending individual should have fully read the 2019 NZ Rugby lawbook during preseason.

Law 812 sub-clause 67b:

Any player striking the head of one Brodie Retallick (also known as "Lurch", "Nosferatu", "Guzzler", "Death On Stilts", "Big Bad Brodie Retallick" and "Armageddon on Stilts") shall be immediately red-carded from the field of play.

The guilty party is then to be promptly and summarily ejected into the nearest ocean by means of a hastily-erected cannon and/or catapult device.

Once the coast guard have retrieved the offending individual's corpse from the ocean he is to be given a VERY stern talking to from the New Zealand Prime Minister centring on "exactly what is at stake this year.

Following this public reprimand the guilty party is then to be recatapulted back into the bloody ocean.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Geez it must be the rugby season on G&GR and the whinges about refs have started already! I thught the Red card was tough, but as Brodie said, they have been told time and time again about contact to head with shoulders etc!!
It was a joke Dan.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, World U20's could become a real mess if they insist on tacklers having to bend at the waist. I'm all for protecting players heads but ffs WR (World Rugby)'s own research shows that it's the tackler most at risk of head injury yet they keep adding greater & greater sanctions on the tackler if things go wrong while the ball carrier can pretty much do whatever the fuck he wants. Hopefully nobody has to die before responsibility for the outcome of a tackle / collision is shared say 60% tackler 40% carrier 'cos right now it seems more like 80/20.
The research shows that the most at risk player is an upright tackler. The technique on show for the red card is exactly what they want to discourage. The threat of the red card there is actually protecting the tackler

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I can see why the player currently most at risk is an upright tackler but I'm pretty sure that will change if tacklers are required to bend at the waist thereby putting their head into the same general area as the ball carriers knees & other damaging bits.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
^ I can see why the player currently most at risk is an upright tackler but I'm pretty sure that will change if tacklers are required to bend at the waist thereby putting their head into the same general area as the ball carriers knees & other damaging bits.
Sure, but the research shows that's far less dangerous. The risk is there but it's seen as a better result both because head injuries happen less and are less severe when the tackler is bent at the waist

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Ross Tucker (who was part of the big concussion trial) goes into the findings regularly on Twitter and elsewhere

@Scienceofsport: @ChristypDoran @JT_Sports123 @FOXSportsNews @steve_l15 For the tackler, Head to head, head to elbow, head to knee, head to hip - logically, the riskiest (in order from highest to lowest. Head 6x more risky than hip, for example). Head to torso and upper leg were least likely to cause injury, yes. Torso the lowest & safest place head

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know it frustrating when players are carded for hitting high, and bugger me when I played I would of got red carded most games, unless of course I realised that I wasn't allowed to do it, and hence learnt not too! I not too sure what the answer is, but rugby can't afford the publicity of head injuries ,so has to do something. I recall the hoohaa when scrumming rules were changed to stop neck injuries early 80s, the same argument, players will still get neck injuries in other ways, really rightly or wrongly rugby had to try and stop as many as they could. Much the same scenario I think.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Got to say that technically a red card I feel for the dude. Brodie is a head taller than him but still manage to hit him in the shoulder with his head. Retallick was as culpable as anyone for his head knock.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
DP's secret wish has come true, TJ's in the comm box :). As is Marshy :) :) :) EDIT: shame it's still cricket season so there's no Smithy to complete the CruSadist fanboy triumvirate.