• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Un-Australian Activities 2019

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Didn't really notice the second one you mention but on the first i was thinking PT as soon as it happened & when it wasn't awarded assumed that the guy who was offside wasn't the tackler 'cos otherwise it has to be PT.

Anyhoo we scraped in with a BP draw & got a wake-up call ahead of the SA trip so it's not all bad.
just had another look.

Ref penalised 14 white for being offside, and he was the one who made the tackle so don't really know why it wasn't considered. One for the refs thread

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ so we WERE robbed! :)

You'd think that between the four sets of official eyes watching it someone woulda thought "hang on a minute........."

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I also think some reality needs to be brought to the fore. The Crusaders rested quite a few world class players. It does make a difference.

I am pleased the Sharks, and increasingly SA teams have embraced playing like South African teams of the past. Not necessarily the most tries, but certainly pleasing in a different way.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ yep & that contrasting style is one of the reasons NZR & old-school NZ rugby-heads such as myself value the SA connection so highly. If nothing else it's good prep for Ringinland, Oirland & sometimes France.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ yep & that contrasting style is one of the reasons NZR & old-school NZ rugby-heads such as myself value the SA connection so highly. If nothing else it's good prep for Ringinland, Oirland & sometimes France.
Amen WOB!!!! I cannot believe everyone cannot see it, NZ, Aus and SA teams all seem to have their own styles and it bloody good for everyone to get that mixture!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hasn't been France in a while.

Boy the Crusaders sure are a different team without Richie.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
We honestly do not feel the same. At least I do not think so. We just want to beat NZ because we love and hate you at the same time. We care for no other country.

England is the only other nation that comes close but those are for former political reasons. NZ has always been purely about rugby for us. We love you - or do we?

You can't prepare for France. You can only pretend you do.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Everyone hates England
Would not say I hate England. I am grateful for their influence in South Africa actually. They brought along a lot of knowledge and infrastructure to name some.

My sis lives in Auckland, married to a "Rhodesian" (currently Zimbabwe) who has British heritage (and passport) and is even aligned to a clan in Scotland with quilt and all. They married as such.

They moved to NZ after 5 years in England.

Anyway, since she has been there she has never had anything bad to say about NZ or its people, unlike in England.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Would not say I hate England. I am grateful for their influence in South Africa actually. They brought along a lot of knowledge and infrastructure to name some.

My sis lives in Auckland, married to a "Rhodesian" (currently Zimbabwe) who has British heritage (and passport) and is even aligned to a clan in Scotland with quilt and all. They married as such.

They moved to NZ after 5 years in England.

Anyway, since she has been there she has never had anything bad to say about NZ or its people, unlike in England.
I meant in a sporting sense, my GF is English.

Nothing better than beating England in cricket or rugby.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I can put it succinctly:

England invented the game thus we should all strive to beat them and a lot if not most of the western world are former colonies of theirs.

Aus - they play RU because they were taught it by the same England

Wales - they seem to have chosen the game for them so kudos.

France - they are French, certainly we have to respect them although they love other footballing codes too.

NZ - they chose rugby for themselves and made it their own.

SA - we made rugby our own as some sort of outlet for men against Eng but also for boys in schools as a method of teaching them about manhood.

Thus SA - NZ have similar philosophies. Wales too, but they have never been such a great rival on the field until recently.

SA v Aus has been difficult in recent times because of time zones. Before that it was not so much of a contest as it is today. Rivalries take years to develop and it sometimes never does as is the case even today with SA and France. Both respect one another but it is not a typical rivalry as with MU & Liverpool or Brazil and Argentina for example.

The only rugby equivalent of Brazil v Argentina is SA v NZ.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well the Clan/Tribes get a draw, f*** me that is what I call a game of rugby! I know a few in here would of missed it being a NZ derby, but you missed a bloody beauty!
Geez all we need is Ben from accounts with a stuffed knee!!

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Well the Clan/Tribes get a draw, f*** me that is what I call a game of rugby! I know a few in here would of missed it being a NZ derby, but you missed a bloody beauty!
Geez all we need is Ben from accounts with a stuffed knee!!

Might be nice for a neutral but fuck me. I'm done with the Highlanders bullshit. I can't handle the levels of stupidity that team brings week in week out.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
We honestly do not feel the same. At least I do not think so. We just want to beat NZ because we love and hate you at the same time. We care for no other country.

England is the only other nation that comes close but those are for former political reasons. NZ has always been purely about rugby for us. We love you - or do we?

You can't prepare for France. You can only pretend you do.
Ulrich I can't like that post enough, it is so hard to explain to people outside our countries ( and perhaps some young ones in our countries) just what the relationship/rivalry is between Boks/ABs, it is no way downplaying Australia etc, just with SA there so much history of great tests etc.