• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Michael Wood is also highly rated up here, and is signed to the Reds in a development capacity (along with Nasser, Kibble, Lucas).

A Gilmore favourite. Brothers club, late draft last year.

Got a red card for foul play last year vs Italy.

Can be hot head, plays with aggression. Some rate that attribute.

I haven't seen him play this year, was surprised when he made the Reds squad.

B

Bobby Sands

Thought Tizzano was good. Wish more Australians played as desperately as him.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Just noticed on the NZ team list Kohan Herbert was the starting 7 against Japan .
He was an Australian Schoolboy in 2017 from Dowmlands College Toowoomba, not a big kid back then but played well above his weight and genuine on ball threat . Anyone get a look at the game ?

B

Bobby Sands

Just noticed on the NZ team list Kohan Herbert was the starting 7 against Japan .
He was an Australian Schoolboy in 2017 from Dowmlands College Toowoomba, not a big kid back then but played well above his weight and genuine on ball threat . Anyone get a look at the game ?

Kohan went to Downlands, a non-GPS school that plays the GPS teams as the "bye."

I beleive he is from NZ, and went back immediately after leaving school.

I have followed him closely as his year 12 season was as dominant as it gets.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I make a point of providing a positive assessment of a game or the players wherever I can. It is just the right thing to do when you know players and parents jump on these sites; BUT!!!! WT@ is going on with our up and coming talent? Someone really needs to be held accountable. The questions need to be asked.

LetsbeReasonable

Allen Oxlade (6)
I make a point of providing a positive assessment of a game or the players wherever I can. It is just the right thing to do when you know players and parents jump on these sites; BUT!!!! WT@ is going on with our up and coming talent? Someone really needs to be held accountable. The questions need to be asked.

Well, I have some theories. Boys make the Aussie schoolboys teams and their names are permanently out there. Boys who may have been injured or just didn't make the schoolboys teams have to work twice as hard to get noticed, and even then, they don't seem to get the go ahead for positions, regardless of whether or not they are better than those who have played in green and gold before. Then they bring boys back from league, or over from 7s and put them in the side because they went to such a lot of trouble to get them to union.

I was under the impression that the URC was supposed to filter into these selections but clearly their minds were somewhat made up before this comp.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Well, I have some theories. Boys make the Aussie schoolboys teams and their names are permanently out there. Boys who may have been injured or just didn't make the schoolboys teams have to work twice as hard to get noticed, and even then, they don't seem to get the go ahead for positions, regardless of whether or not they are better than those who have played in green and gold before. Then they bring boys back from league, or over from 7s and put them in the side because they went to such a lot of trouble to get them to union.

I was under the impression that the URC was supposed to filter into these selections but clearly their minds were somewhat made up
before this comp.

Not sure I understand the problem with the sevens players?? Still union. Not all players were able to attend URC last year. Touring injury etc. should anyone not able to play not be considered?
URC standard was not great. It is a National Team just pick the best

LetsbeReasonable

Allen Oxlade (6)
Not sure I understand the problem with the sevens players?? Still union. Not all players were able to attend URC last year. Touring injury etc. should anyone not able to play not be considered?
URC standard was not great. It is a National Team just pick the best

7s is a different game, although I do get your point. I think everybody should have an equal opportunity to get selected, regardless of their connections, schoolboy history etc. Obviously a quality player that was injured during URC should still be considered. However, there are players who have been selected who were at URC who I think are a little bit over rated. I don't think they have picked the best 28 we have. I think they should watch players at club etc. leading up to Argentina to get a real insight into who should go.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

I was under the impression that the URC was supposed to filter into these selections but clearly their minds were somewhat made up before this comp.
Get what you’re saying and agree in part. However, an outstanding player will get noticed. I do see great potential in some players who are on the fringe and if these players were taken on in an elite training program I believe these players will go from good to great. Unfortunately such a program is non existent.
There are a couple of QLD names that were in the original squad that should be starting, who are both playing premier rugby for Wests, but feel that this would have tipped the scales on the ‘even’ state selection. Pretty sure both eligible for next year. Let’s not rush these lads through the system. Not all Wallabies played in the U20s team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
7s is a different game, although I do get your point. I think everybody should have an equal opportunity to get selected, regardless of their connections, schoolboy history etc. Obviously a quality player that was injured during URC should still be considered. However, there are players who have been selected who were at URC who I think are a little bit over rated. I don't think they have picked the best 28 we have. I think they should watch players at club etc. leading up to Argentina to get a real insight into who should go.

Selection is always going to be an issue when the programme runs on the smell of an oily rag and players are participating in matches around the country that generally aren't televised.

In my opinion it's a better option to spend more of the budget on having the chosen shortlist of players in training camps and giving them the opportunity to play matches than on coaches and scouts dedicating more time to selecting those players. It's an inexact science and largely the best players do get selected. There will always be differences of opinion and some who are unlucky to miss out.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So what do we think is the strongest team for the kiws?

15 Isaac Lucas
14 Sione Tui
13 Semisi Tupou
12 Noah Lolesio
11 Mark Nawanqanitwaswe
10 Ben Donaldson
9 Henry Robertson
8 Pat Tafa
7 Fraser McReight
6 Harry Wilson
5 Trevor Hosea
4 Esei Ha'angana
3 Josh Nasser
2 Lachlan Lonergan
1 Angus Bell

No point trying to pick the other 13 bench players.

- half is a tough one. McDonald looked a better organiser in my eyes but I thought his delivery was very poor.
- locks is tight. The two Rebels players probably are most likely but I was actually impressed by the work of Wood and Douglas last night.
- THP probably the other question mark as neither scrum did exceptionally. How was the kiwis scrum? I know they've struggled there in the past.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think you're pretty close to the mark there.

I thought Lucas was pretty disappointing yesterday but he is clearly one of our best players. He tried to run round players too often as if it was going to be easy for him at this level. He looks more likely to break the line at Super Rugby level. I think the availability of solid fly half options in Donaldson and Harrison means he should stay at 15.

Based on yesterday it definitely looks like more of the likely best XV were chosen against Japan than Fiji.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
So what do we think is the strongest team for the kiws?

15 Isaac Lucas
14 Sione Tui
13 Semisi Tupou
12 Noah Lolesio
11 Mark Nawanqanitwaswe
10 Ben Donaldson
9 Henry Robertson
8 Pat Tafa
7 Fraser McReight
6 Harry Wilson
5 Trevor Hosea
4 Esei Ha'angana
3 Josh Nasser
2 Lachlan Lonergan
1 Angus Bell

No point trying to pick the other 13 bench players.

- half is a tough one. McDonald looked a better organiser in my eyes but I thought his delivery was very poor.
- locks is tight. The two Rebels players probably are most likely but I was actually impressed by the work of Wood and Douglas last night.
- THP probably the other question mark as neither scrum did exceptionally. How was the kiwis scrum? I know they've struggled there in the past.

Would definitely replace the locks and 8 with Douglas, Wood, Harris who have done enough, have watched the others for some time and think there are better cattle around who will put in for the whole team (including work at the breakdown). Don't really care if they are contracted players, we need the best available despite their background.
Kibble is an interesting one, very strong over the ball and will be in a battle with Wilson for the 6 jersey.
Unfortunately Nathan Lawson has not been given much of an opportunity as yet, he is highly skilled and competing very well in Shute Shield from all reports.
Thought Mcdonald was good and would like to see him get a go behind the better forward pack.
I hope they keep Donaldson otherwise it wont matter who you have outside the 10, will be either go alone or kicked, same happened in Aus schools and hasn't appeared to have changed.
Should be an interesting game to watch certainly intend getting there

B

Bobby Sands

I agree; Wood and Douglas were much better. I am not sure who should play 8, I'd even be open to Wilson playing 8 with Kibble/Tizzano at 6. Who knows.

I think McDonald at 9 is best.

Not certain on any of our 10s tbh.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
From my viewing, Harris was the standout over both games and should lock down the No 8 spot.

I am also impressed with Tafa, and have seen him play lock for Northern Suburbs. He could well come in for Ha'angana who I thought was a bit disappointing in game 1.

I would have Robertson over McDonald every day of the week after watching their respective performances.

A poster commented before the Fiji game that Donaldson would ensure the outside backs got more ball that they did against Japan. I recognise the weather intervened, but that just did not eventuate in the second game. The ball got to the wingers very sparingly, and when it did, Tui in particular was very impressive. I think the weather might just be an excuse. Stay with Harrison.

I am more concerned, though, with how ineffectual the scrum was in both games. None of the props seemed to get on par with their opposites. So out of character at this level from previous years. Where are the Lomaxes, Falelai Siones, Shambeckler Vuis etc? Could well be in for a thrashing from the Baby Blacks if the scrum continues to fold.

B

Bobby Sands

Whoever they pick, and I genuinely don't mind, I hope we at the very least take it them in the forwards and see what comes of that in the backs. I think we have the pack to do that, scrum issues aside.