• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
From my viewing, Harris was the standout over both games and should lock down the No 8 spot.

I am also impressed with Tafa, and have seen him play lock for Northern Suburbs. He could well come in for Ha'angana who I thought was a bit disappointing in game 1.

I would have Robertson over McDonald every day of the week after watching their respective performances.

A poster commented before the Fiji game that Donaldson would ensure the outside backs got more ball that they did against Japan. I recognise the weather intervened, but that just did not eventuate in the second game. The ball got to the wingers very sparingly, and when it did, Tui in particular was very impressive. I think the weather might just be an excuse. Stay with Harrison.

I am more concerned, though, with how ineffectual the scrum was in both games. None of the props seemed to get on par with their opposites. So out of character at this level from previous years. Where are the Lomaxes, Falelai Siones, Shambeckler Vuis etc? Could well be in for a thrashing from the Baby Blacks if the scrum continues to fold.
I think the Perth 9 will start. They seem to rate him very high. Tui is strong but needs to learn to stay in field. I don’t think he will start. The other wingers are quick on there feet and they work hard of the ball. They can also kick. Watching harrison he needs to shift the ball quicker and let the outside backs do there thing. I’m not convinced with Tupou as his lines are very predictable. TBH I think that’s where we will struggle. Tupou plays on the wing for Rebels and has not had much game time at all as he doesn’t play club rugby. Will be some interesting selections that of course will not please everyone as well as the final squad to go to the WC. Go Australia.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Capture.JPG
I make a point of providing a positive assessment of a game or the players wherever I can. It is just the right thing to do when you know players and parents jump on these sites; BUT!!!! WT@ is going on with our up and coming talent? Someone really needs to be held accountable. The questions need to be asked.

So, for the ones that think they know it all regarding Aus win over Fiji and playing it down that Aus team not up to standard, well firstly, put the Fiji v New Zealand into perspective and give Fiji some credit. The Fijians matched it with the All Blacks for in 1st half…… Then they had a player given the red card at very start of 2nd half. New Zealand played 15 players on 14 for an entire second half in very good weather. Fiji seem to drop their head and All Blacks ran riot on the score sheet.

Fiji play Aus and the score is 0 - 7 to Australia 1st half in crap weather and played on darkness. Also an entire different Aus team to the one that played Japan.

So for me taking into consideration of first half with full strength team -

Fiji 7 to 8 to New Zealand and then 0 to 7 against Aus indicates where the 3 teams are at. Give some credit to Fiji and stop bagging Aus coaches and players.....

With team selection - there were over 85 players selected last October 2018 who had potential to make the final cut. With that, there are a lot of variables as to why some players did not make the final cut and players were dropped as the camps progressed.

For instance a 2017 schoolboy who played the house down in NRC comes into the first camp overweight and no way could match cohort for fitness.. That player was given opportunity to get their fitness up but again returns overweight and unfit so how could the selectors pick him???

How many other spent too much time eating and drinking over xmas and did not take the opportunity with full desire and commitment like players that had been selected ?

You can have all the talent and name behind you but you cannot play at this level on talent alone. I am certain there were other talented players got dropped also due to fitness reasons. So we can all write up about players missing out but unless you close to the coaching and selection you don't really know the reasons. I can assume the Aus coach wants to reach senior levels and I am sure he would select the best players available to make his resume look good for the next job application.

Capture.JPG

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
View attachment 10619

So, for the ones that think they know it all regarding Aus win over Fiji and playing it down that Aus team not up to standard, well firstly, put the Fiji v New Zealand into perspective and give Fiji some credit. The Fijians matched it with the All Blacks for in 1st half…… Then they had a player given the red card at very start of 2nd half. New Zealand played 15 players on 14 for an entire second half in very good weather. Fiji seem to drop their head and All Blacks ran riot on the score sheet.

Fiji play Aus and the score is 0 - 7 to Australia 1st half in crap weather and played on darkness. Also an entire different Aus team to the one that played Japan.

So for me taking into consideration of first half with full strength team -

Fiji 7 to 8 to New Zealand and then 0 to 7 against Aus indicates where the 3 teams are at. Give some credit to Fiji and stop bagging Aus coaches and players...

With team selection - there were over 85 players selected last October 2018 who had potential to make the final cut. With that, there are a lot of variables as to why some players did not make the final cut and players were dropped as the camps progressed.

For instance a 2017 schoolboy who played the house down in NRC comes into the first camp overweight and no way could match cohort for fitness.. That player was given opportunity to get their fitness up but again returns overweight and unfit so how could the selectors pick him???

How many other spent too much time eating and drinking over xmas and did not take the opportunity with full desire and commitment like players that had been selected ?

You can have all the talent and name behind you but you cannot play at this level on talent alone. I am certain there were other talented players got dropped also due to fitness reasons. So we can all write up about players missing out but unless you close to the coaching and selection you don't really know the reasons. I can assume the Aus coach wants to reach senior levels and I am sure he would select the best players available to make his resume look good for the next job application.

View attachment 10619[/quote)

Yep lack of respect being given to Fiji as only after the red card did the all black run riot. Oz u20s doing us proud at the moment and criticism unwarranted here

Highway 54

Frank Row (1)
Well said Rachet and yes all true. The young man you mention was given alot of support to make this squad. The final 28 selected to go to Argentina will be all starters depending on style of game their opposition plays. I have been watching the oceanic tournament for a few years now and this Australian squad is one of the strongest I have seen assembled and by far the best prepared. Love or hate his style Gilmore and his team of support staff are on the money for a better than coming 5th at this years World Cup. One thing for sure the team announced to play NZL on Saturday night - either starting or bench we will be STRONG! Go Australia

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Gilmore is a top rate coach. My comments are not a criticism directed at Gilmore by any means. Gilmore is an employee of RA and will have a criteria to conform with.
Let’s hope we see cohesion and smarter play against NZ.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Junior Wallabies to face New Zealand:

1. Angus Bell, University of Sydney
2. Lachlan Lonergan, Tuggeranong Vikings
3. Josh Nasser, University of Queensland
4. Michael Wood, Brothers
5. Trevor Hosea, Harlequins Rugby Club
6. Harry Wilson, Brothers
7. Fraser McReight ©, Brothers
8. Will Harris, Eastern Suburbs
9. Michael McDonald, Palmyra
10. Will Harrison, Randwick
11. Mark Nawaqanitawase, Eastwood
12. Noah Lolesio, Tuggeranong Vikings
13. Semisi Tupou, Box Hill
14. Triston Reilly, Randwick
15. Isaac Lucas, Sunnybank

Reserves
16. Bo Abra, Eastern Suburbs
17. Joe Cotton, Wests Bulldogs
18. Darcy Breen, Sydney University
19. Esei Ha’angana, Melbourne Unicorns
20. Carlo Tizzano, University of Western Australia
21. Henry Robertson, Sydney University
22. Ben Donaldson, Randwick
23. Sione Tui, Melbourne Unicorns
24. Egan Siggs, University of Queensland
25. Pat Tafa, Northern Suburbs
26. Nathan Lawson, Southern Districts
27. Kye Oates, University of Queensland
28. Joey Walton, Gordon

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Anyone got the ARU link for the stream to today's matches starting soon - assuming it is still being streamed?

I've continued the U20 matches thread HERE

Fiji vs Japan
s2wihpqpa6

F5 to refresh timer

Aus vs NZ
ha61u9oan0

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So - what are the thoughts from the people on the ground. Very happy with a win, and anytime you keep an opposition to nil in a big match suggests to me there is a bit of grit to your team. Based on the write up it sounds like this is a very promising group. It even sounds a bit to me like we are getting our junior development piece right.

Obviously there is another big test coming very soon - but interested in the view of those who get to see a lot more of these kids then me. (Actually - I see none of these kids). Did they pull out something special in a big game or is this the sort of performance we will see consistently from this group of young men.

I know there are some that think the current coaching (selection) group are sub par - is this enough to cause a rethink?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Outstanding performance by the forwards, the back 3 and Michael McDonald. The best game of rugby I have seen in U20 for years. Congratulations to the team and the coaching staff. Well done Gilmore! Looking forward to seeing majority of these names in the next few years for the Wallabies. Gilmore for Wallabies coach!!!!!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Lonergan, Hosea, Woods, Wilson, McReight and Harris were all outstanding. The backrow really worked well together and seemed to hunt as a pack. Harris is a monster at this level. Many sore bodies in the Junior ABs this morning I'll warrant.

I wasn't impressed with McDonald in the Fiji game, but he was in everything against the JABs. A very high quality game from him.

The backs did all they had to do with the opportunities that came their way. Good luck in the JRWC.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
And it’s worth watching. Developed into a bit of an arm wrestle in the second half, but generally a good game

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Lonergan, Hosea, Woods, Wilson, McReight and Harris were all outstanding. The backrow really worked well together and seemed to hunt as a pack. Harris is a monster at this level. Many sore bodies in the Junior ABs this morning I'll warrant.

I wasn't impressed with McDonald in the Fiji game, but he was in everything against the JABs. A very high quality game from him.

The backs did all they had to do with the opportunities that came their way. Good luck in the JRWC.

The 6 forwards and Michael McDonald you mentioned were phenomenal. All deserve MOM. I haven’t felt this good about Australian rugby for years. After the game I went home and watched it again, then again this morning. Just magic.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Just watched the highlights - both the 6 and the 8 look like real competitors, and should be snatched up by Super clubs ASAP.

The 6 had a real Maro Itoje type aggression around him. Constantly annoying anyone in black. Putting on big shots, and letting the opposition know when they'd stuffed up.

Wouldn't mind him in Sky Blue.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Just watched the highlights - both the 6 and the 8 look like real competitors, and should be snatched up by Super clubs ASAP.

The 6 had a real Maro Itoje type aggression around him. Constantly annoying anyone in black. Putting on big shots, and letting the opposition know when they'd stuffed up.

Sorry Michael. The Reds like him in Maroon.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Yeah a proper confrontational player like Sam Scott-Young. That bloke absolutely gave it to his opposition most of the time. Hard but legal.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
It was good viewing.

Thought some of the ref decisions were strange could have gone the other way. Helped build AU a nice lead.

On the other hand, The Harris carding seemed very harsh.

For mine 6 & 8 were standouts in the forwards (McReight and Wood & Lonergan not far behind)

9 & 10 in the backs

But good game all round, everyone played their part. Just hope they can continue that form in Argentina.