• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Is there a backup No 9 in the squad. I thought the SydUni halfback was excellent against Japan, but can't see his name on the sheet.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't have the definitive previous squad, but names not there include?

Oliver Barden (P/HK)
Max Douglas (L)
Tom Kibble (BR)
Nathan Lawson (BR)
Isaak Lucas (FH/FB)
Byron Ralston (C/W)
Henry Robertson (C/W)
Egan Siggs (P/HK)
Liam Usher (P)

Is there a backup No 9 in the squad. I thought the SydUni halfback was excellent against Japan, but can't see his name on the sheet.

Henry Robertson made the squad. He is the second halfback. https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/05/07/world-u20-championships-junior-wallabies-squad

Rhys Van Nek from Qld also made the squad despite not being in the Oceania squad (although was involved in all the camps beforehand).

Just shows you how these coaches don’t have a heart.

I want the best squad picked possible. They're playing for their country. If they're eligible and the selectors think they're the best, they should be picked.

So out of these 27 players, 2 players and one who played no club rugby in 2018 (only played league) is good enough to make the squad. What are we doing wrong in Queensland club union?

A bunch of the players were involved in the NRC rather than the under 19 version.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thanks BH. I note that Henry wasn't listed in the squad above and Kiap had him identified as a centre/wing in his list of omissions. That tossed me. He does look like a player of some talent.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Totally agree with you Rugby Reg, our Boys just won the
Oceania Champs and beat NZ Junior All Blacks(Wow). Lets all congratulate them and try not to di-sect them on their selections. Well done boys all the best in Argentina, you make us all Australians proud.

Yes by winning the Oceania Cup and best NZ for first time in that competition is fantastic achievement by not just the players but the selectors so on that record I reckon us armchair critics should cut them a bit of slack. Really looking forward to the world cup in Argentina.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Thanks BH. I note that Henry wasn't listed in the squad above and Kiap had him identified as a centre/wing in his list of omissions. That tossed me. He does look like a player of some talent.
Good point. The pitfalls of not vetting sources. Reg's list missed a few. Mine from the RA's page had an extra centre/wing. :)

Robertson.jpg

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Congratulations to not only a great win but also the boys selected for Argentina. Massive honour.

One issue I do see is still in the centres. Won’t be able to play same style of game as we did vs NZ all tournament. ( 10 man ) Outside Chanel is vunerable to jamming in d. Any attack that can bounce out will find holes and space. Still think we are a little unbalanced ie a lot of 10s and wingers with no real centres.

Saying that last years 18s beat this years 6 nation champions so I would expect this team to go deep in the tournament.

All the best junior wallabies

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Not only is he from Perth, but he's from my old club of University! He's the son of Mitch Hardy, former Wallaby and also a University man (after his did all that stuff with the Brumbies of course ;-)