• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
I’m sure Kibble isn’t too happy if he has to leave pre-season and Roach stays. QLD have four promising 7s on the books - which does not compute medium term.

Kibble was in a 'no-contact' training bib a couple of weeks ago, so maybe he's not right to play in the trial, but would benefit from the U20 camp ? Dunno - just guessing.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
"
Yes bit odd that Tizzano who is a genuine #7 and was the back up to McReight last year at the junior RWC is playing trial games for the Tahs , but Kibble is going . Maybe the back row talent after Hooper is a little thin for the Tahs ?

It looks like there were a number of players that weren't considered for the squad due to Super Rugby trials. From the Tahs Carlo Tizzano, Mark Nawaqanitawase and Angus Bell were all in Canberra over the weekend despite not being named in the team.

Although not named, I suspect Reesjan Pasitoa, Carter Gordon, Will Harris, Joey Walton and a few others also fall into this category.

link - https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/01/11/junior-wallabies-camp-one-squad-2020

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tough pool.

Attachments

• 7797A63A-1933-4C56-9F7A-8E54B002163F.jpeg
    7797A63A-1933-4C56-9F7A-8E54B002163F.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 320

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
That is odd.

Usually the pool seeding go differently and the 3rd and 4th placed teams share a pool (i.e. South Africa, Argentina). Doesn't affect us though either way.

Yep. Suddenly the format changes :

The teams taking part in the premier age-grade tournament have been divided into three pools of four with the medallists from 2019 the top seeds in France, runners-up Australia and bronze medallists South Africa.​
Then, in order to ensure a split of two northern and two southern hemisphere teams in each pool, the remaining teams have been seeded and placed accordingly in a snake format. The team promoted from the World Rugby U20 Trophy (JAPAN) is considered a southern hemisphere team.​
The pool matches will be played in Verona’s brand new Payanini Center, Viadana’s Stadio Sergio Zaffanella and Peroni Stadium in Calvisano, home of the reigning Italian national champions.​
While Verona will host matches for the first time, Viadana, Parma and Calvisano did so when Italy last hosted the U20 Championship in 2015 and all three will stage the play-off rounds.​
The 3-pool format has always been an abomination but now they're doing seedings on a whim.

Someone put their thumb on the scale. Usual rugby shenanigans.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Angus Bell(prop) is another strong candidate for captain, his probably my favourite to fill the role at this stage and has experience captaining the National age teams as well.

Josh Flook is a smoky, but I think they’ll go with one of the returning players.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Angus Bell(prop) is another strong candidate for captain, his probably my favourite to fill the role at this stage and has experience captaining the National age teams as well.

Josh Flook is a smoky, but I think they’ll go with one of the returning players.
Angus Bell or Kibble for Captain. Vice I would choose a back and looking at options I would say Carter Gordon as a shot.
Lots of praise for Josh Flook but looking at the outside centre and wing options I think he might struggle for a starting position.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Gilmore may look to use Kibble at 6 , think Tizzano if fit will get first crack at 7 , he was McReight’s back up last year and played well when he got some game time.

The #8 from last year , Sydney lad , who’s name escapes me , I think is still eligible. He was one of the four non schoolboys added to the 2018 UK tour .

All up makes for a very good back row.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From last year's squad, the following players look like they are still eligible:

Angus Bell
Will Harris
Mark Nawaqanitawase
Kye Oates
Carlo Tizzano

A few players who just missed out last year who are still eligible include:

Tom Kibble
Byron Ralston
Max Douglas