• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My take on some of the players and aspects of the game.

Scrum and lineout aside, Hockings is a powder puff, almost waste of a spot in the team for his lack of involvement in open play.

Lucas is a ball hog. Sure, he can step but 9 times out of ten dies with the ball, even when he has support. Learn to distribute or go away.

Lack of smarts again on show. NZ take a quick 22m restart while not one of the Aussie players was awake or aware of what was going on. NZ score at the other end of the field. Some minutes later, Aussie side presented with a similar opportunity but straggle back to the 22m line to restart according to their drilled in structure for the game. No vision and no awareness of threats and opportunities.

No 7 was our best (McTaggert?).

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
My take on some of the players and aspects of the game.

Scrum and lineout aside, Hockings is a powder puff, almost waste of a spot in the team for his lack of involvement in open play.

Lucas is a ball hog. Sure, he can step but 9 times out of ten dies with the ball, even when he has support. Learn to distribute or go away.

Lack of smarts again on show. NZ take a quick 22m restart while not one of the Aussie players was awake or aware of what was going on. NZ score at the other end of the field. Some minutes later, Aussie side presented with a similar opportunity but straggle back to the 22m line to restart according to their drilled in structure for the game. No vision and no awareness of threats and opportunities.

No 7 was our best (McTaggert?).
McReight

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
Losing margin went from 37 to 15.

Let's agree that is a significant improvement at this level.

We weren't beaten at the set piece, we were beaten in open play and broken play.

Were we beaten by a more mobile pack? Just seems NZ always had numbers to stretch the defence, and their back row are ball runners running into space. When NZ had the ball, speed at the breakdown and putting it through the hands was the difference.

Australia has to be better with the kicking game. Kicks have to go out or be contestable and put pressure on the other side.

Hi HB....my take on the back row was the 7 was brilliant, 6 got injured and should have been replaced as he looked in a lot of pain. The 8 had a horror with dropped balls and seems to have difficulty with his defence. A lot of pressure on the night.
Why didn't George Francis start......geez he made a huge difference.
Hopefully the 13s hand heals he had a great tournament.
Lots of injuries and hopefully all recover well including the 4 from NZ..

Joe James

Stan Wickham (3)
Hi HB..my take on the back row was the 7 was brilliant, 6 got injured and should have been replaced as he looked in a lot of pain. The 8 had a horror with dropped balls and seems to have difficulty with his defence. A lot of pressure on the night.
Why didn't George Francis start..geez he made a huge difference.
Hopefully the 13s hand heals he had a great tournament.
Lots of injuries and hopefully all recover well including the 4 from NZ..
The 8 is a good player but unfortunately has been injured and sick all year. Hard to get into good form when youre not playing games. Again selection stupidity

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Also, I noticed an apparent penchant for NZ players to lie on the ground dying whenever the Aussie side looked like getting on a roll. A couple were injured and were replaced but some were up and into the game again after a period that seemed designed to give their team a breather before continuing. And I do mean they looked to be dying, lying there spreadeagled on their backs with heads either bent backwards in a sign of pain or otherwise being held in their hands again to show the pain was excruciating. It was not a good look, and is something I thought we'd see only in soccer or with certain players in the Jaguares side.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
The 8 is a good player but unfortunately has been injured and sick all year. Hard to get into good form when youre not playing games. Again selection stupidity
8 is a great player.

Yes retuning from an injury from an earlier camp, but played vs Tonga.

And played out of his skin in that game and well earned selection for NZ game.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
8 is a great player.

Yes retuning from an injury from an earlier camp, but played vs Tonga.

And played out of his skin in that game and well earned selection for NZ game.

We must have been watching a different game then, stats on the wallabies website showed 5 tackles for 2 missed in the entire game against Tonga and all up 9 tackles successful and 4 missed (over 2 games)...... guess defence doesnt matter which was my point :)

Anyways move on , the game is over and all lads did their best.
Onward and upward to the world cup

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
As per The Honey Badgers request.. a new JWC thread for 2018 and onwards
We must have been watching a different game then, stats on the wallabies website showed 5 tackles for 2 missed in the entire game against Tonga and all up 9 tackles successful and 4 missed (over 2 games).. guess defence doesnt matter which was my point :)

Anyways move on , the game is over and all lads did their best.
Onward and upward to the world cup
Lies, damn lies and statistics.

OK, agree he didn't have his best game against NZ. And against Tonga I don't think anyone would have had a very high tackle count as possession would have greatly favoured Australia.

He is in extremely rare company in being 1 of 3 NSW players in that team. IMO well deserving of a place in this team.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Losing margin went from 37 to 15.

Let's agree that is a significant improvement at this level.

We weren't beaten at the set piece, we were beaten in open play and broken play.

Were we beaten by a more mobile pack? Just seems NZ always had numbers to stretch the defence, and their back row are ball runners running into space. When NZ had the ball, speed at the breakdown and putting it through the hands was the difference.

Australia has to be better with the kicking game. Kicks have to go out or be contestable and put pressure on the other side.

I think if we can learn the simple skill of draw and pass, we could be just as good in broken play. We always pass way too soon (easy for the defence), or too late (more chance of a mistake). If the player with ball thinks to draw in the defence and then pass, it creates that little bit of extra space for his support players. At the same time, other teammates need to be ready in support. This further puts the defence in two mids. It's just such a simple skill that NZ do so well.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Congratulations to all boys named.

2018 Junior Wallabies Squad, World Rugby U20s Championship
Forwards
Angus Blyth, Bond University
Matt Faessler, Brothers
George Francis, Eastwood
Esei Ha'angana, Melbourne Unicorns
Harry Hockings, University of Queensland
Josh Kemeny, Sydney University
Harry Hoopert, Brothers
Trevor Hosea, Harlequins
Efi Ma’afu, Wests
Sama Malolo, Endeavour Hills
Fraser McReight, Brothers
Josh Nasser, University of Queensland
Tom Ross, Gungahlin
Rory Suttor, Sydney University
Patrick Tafa, Norths (Sydney),
Rob Valentini, Wests

Backs
Lawson Creighton, Brothers
Mack Hansen, Gungahlin
Tony Hunt, Norths
Len Ikitau, Vikings
Bayley Kuenzle, Southern Districts
Isiah Latu, Queanbeyan
Ryan Lonergan, Vikings
Isaac Lucas, Sunnybank
Tate McDermott, University of Queensland
Matt McTaggert, Easts
Jordan Petaia, Wests
Semisi Tupou, Box Hill

2018 World Rugby U20s Championship Pool A Fixtures*:
Thursday 31 May
Australia v Wales, 5.00am AEST, Stade de la Mediterranee, Bézier

Sunday 3 June
Australia v Japan, 10.00pm AEST, Stade de la Mediterranee, Bézier

Friday 8 June
Australia v New Zealand, 5.00am AEST, Stade Aime-Giral, Perpignan
*Dates and times have been named as AEST

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely, would be unlikely for the Brumbies to release Valetini when they are so short of backrowers atm due injury.

They'll have Pocock and McCaffery back by then though so my guess is they'll release him.

In terms of the overall squad, 12 Queensland, 6 NSW, 6 ACT and 4 Victoria based players selected.

With a January birthday, Isaia Toeava narrowly missed out on being eligible for selection by 12 years.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Although the Brumbies selectors rate Valentini very highly, picking him over McCaffery in the Sunwolves game but obviously McCaffery had a very good string of games after that. I’d probably say it’s 50/50 whether they release him or not.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Although the Brumbies selectors rate Valentini very highly, picking him over McCaffery in the Sunwolves game but obviously McCaffery had a very good string of games after that. I’d probably say it’s 50/50 whether they release him or not.
He has been named,

He has been released.

Rebel with a cause

Bob McCowan (2)
Congratulations to all boys named.

2018 Junior Wallabies Squad, World Rugby U20s Championship
Forwards
Angus Blyth, Bond University
Matt Faessler, Brothers
George Francis, Eastwood
Harry Hockings, University of Queensland
Harry Hoopert, Brothers
Trevor Hosea, Harlequins
Efi Ma’afu, Wests
Fraser McReight, Brothers
Josh Nasser, University of Queensland
Tom Ross, Gungahlin
Patrick Tafa, Norths (Sydney),
Rob Valentini, Wests

Backs
Lawson Creighton, Brothers
Mack Hansen, Gungahlin
Tony Hunt, Norths
Len Ikitau, Vikings
Isiah Latu, Queanbeyan
Ryan Lonergan, Vikings
Isaac Lucas, Sunnybank
Tate McDermott, University of Queensland
Matt McTaggert, Easts
Jordan Petaia, Wests
Semisi Tupou, Box Hill

2018 World Rugby U20s Championship Pool A Fixtures*:
Thursday 31 May
Australia v Wales, 5.00am AEST, Stade de la Mediterranee, Bézier

Sunday 3 June
Australia v Japan, 10.00pm AEST, Stade de la Mediterranee, Bézier

Friday 8 June
Australia v New Zealand, 5.00am AEST, Stade Aime-Giral, Perpignan
*Dates and times have been named as AEST

ARUs Recipe for Mediocrity
Ben Whitaker, entrusted the U20s Australian selection process to a Queensland selector and coach, and to nobody’s surprise was duped, resulting in a National team dominated by past Queensland schoolboys. For Queensland to have equal numbers with the rest of the country would be questionable , for them to have 16 players to the rest of the country’s 12 is beyond ludicrous.
– And it’s not as if the Queensland results for this year group have been even close to being special. Two years agowhen these boys were 18 after their Qld teams came 5th and 6th in the National schoolboy tournament the same selector chose these Qld boys to dominate selections in the Aus schoolboys side. This side was beaten by the NZ “A” and “B” team
Did the results this year in the U20s Oceania championships with all the same Qlders in this side indicate that things had turned around? Being soundly beaten once again by New Zealand suggests a resounding NO!
But a lot of these players are Super Rugby players for the Reds, I here you say, and therefore are automatic selections. Why??? Are the Reds on top of the Australian Conference or are they in a rebuilding phase and including a lot of young boys in their sides. Its certainly not happening in Waratah land where players like Swinton and Macauley from last years Aus 20s can’t even get a guernsey let alone talented Waratah 20s players. And None of these Reds boys would be making the Waratahs super rugby side.
It is a National disgrace that selections at this level can be anything else but transparent. These selections were based on the opinions of two Qlders who asked for no feedback from State coaches on the form of these players. And it’s not as if these selectors have done their research and were picking form players from other states. – Two of the players from NSW that were selected have been injured all year and didn’t play until the Oceania championships – and then one of these boys was admonished on social media for poor performance in the NZ loss. Selection stupidity or negligence??
How do NSW players that made the team last year not get a guernsey this year. Harrison Goddard, Dan Mathews, James Ramm were good enough to make the team last year but not under this Queensland regime - Goddard is playing Super Rugby and starred in the U20s Aus team last year. (The reply will be that Super Rugby wouldn’t let him go due to Genia’s injury but he was not selected way before that- Giving Tate and Lonergan captaincy in successive games spoke volumes)
So what happens to the talented players from other states that have had their pathway to National selection blocked by this Qld coach and selector? Super rugby franchises will look to cherry pick from the selected Aus National side. These talented players that were overlooked will have to be content with training their guts out battling for recognition in their own state squads. Some talented boys however like Jaffer-Williams, disillusioned with a corrupt and political selection system will toss in the towel and be lost to Rugby possibly for good.
The ARU has a responsibility to provide a pathway for all the boys from all the states not just Qld. The ARU has been negligent in their duty to ensure that the best in-form players are chosen from an even playing field. As a result we have ended up with a state side masquerading as a National side that is once again destined for mediocrity. The ARU needs to ensure that these boys from NSW, Vic and Brumbies end up in NRC teams this year so that they can follow a pathway to professionalism and not be lost to the politics and officials with agendas that are destroying the sport.
The team breakdown to travel to the World Championships in France is below
16 QLD, 7 NSW, 5 ACT
Queensland 16
Angus Blyth, Bond University Lock QLD Southport School Qld
Matt Faessler, Brothers Hooker QLD Toowoomba Grammar QLD
Harry Hockings, University of Queensland Lock QLD Anglican Church Grammar QLD
Harry Hoopert, Brothers Prop QLD Toowoomba Grammar School QLD
Trevor Hosea, Harlequins Lock QLD Brisbane Boys College QLD
Efi Ma’afu, Wests Hooker QLD Ipswich Grammer QLD
Fraser McReight, Brothers Back Row QLD Brisbane Grammar School QLD
Josh Nasser, University of Queensland Prop QLD St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace QLDPatrick Tafa, Norths (Sydney), No 8 QLD Brisbane State High School QLD
Lawson Creighton, Brothers Fullback QLD Padua College QLD
Tony Hunt, Norths Centre QLD St Joseph’s College Nudgee QLD
Len Ikitau, Vikings Centre QLD Brisbane Boys College QLD
Isaac Lucas, Sunnybank Fly half QLD St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace QLD
Tate McDermott, University of Queensland ScrumHalf QLD Toowoomba Grammar QLD
Jordan Petaia, Wests Centre QLD Brisbane State High School Qld
Semisi Tupou, Box Hill Fullback QLD St Joseph’s College Nudgee Qld

NSW 7
George Francis, Eastwood

Matt McTaggert, Easts

ACT 5
Rob Valentini, Wests
Ryan Lonergan, Vikings
Mack Hansen, Gungahlin
Tom Ross, Gungahlin
Isiah Latu, Queanbeyan

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
^^^
mate did you just cut and paste Joe James long-winded posts ?? Thats called plagiarism :D . Its a broken record already fullas. . . Why don't you be brave and name the Qld boys in the U/20's you believe are not good enough to represent their country??

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
^^^
mate did you just cut and paste Joe James long-winded posts ?? Thats called plagiarism :D . Its a broken record already fullas. Why don't you be brave and name the Qld boys in the U/20's you believe are not good enough to represent their country??

And name players who have been part of the selected squad at the start of the year who actually fill the exact positions you're questioning. The whole selection bias is absolute rubbish.

Top Bottom