• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

VRU 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Box Hill are well off the pace aren't they.

They're such a good community club but I think their juniors aren't as strong as they once were (so they can't feed their seniors) and their lack of cash can't make up for it. Also, I think a heap of their players used to come from Endeavour in their pre-Prems days, so that can't help.

Hopefully they find something that will help them get back to premier standard.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Box Hill are well off the pace aren't they.

They're such a good community club but I think their juniors aren't as strong as they once were (so they can't feed their seniors) and their lack of cash can't make up for it. Also, I think a heap of their players used to come from Endeavour in their pre-Prems days, so that can't help.

Hopefully they find something that will help them get back to premier standard.

There also used to be some feeding from Croydon (myself included). Not sure how much this happens anymore.

A lot of the inner-city teams like Melbourne and Quins are fed well from the private schools in the area (St Kevins, Xavier, Scotch etc...), however Box Hills don't seem to have this. When I played there were some links to schools, but at that time they had a very strong juniors presence (even a few of the state coaches) and didn't have to rely on the schools that much. Now all those kids have grown up and moved on, but the junior players have necessarily been replaced and without any feed-in links they have to rely on the ex-pat community to fill the void.

I don't really know the solution here; linking schools to clubs won't work because of the VSRU commitments on weekends, however it might help for colts and seniors. Promoting and recruiting directly from schools without Rugby team may help, but you're up against the AFL monster (which is particularly strong in the eastern suburbs). Old players like me might try to entice their kids to play, but then again it might not be for them.

The link between soup/national success and grassroots popularity still remains, but it might take some time to filter through. I remember a few new faces turning up after our near-success at the 2003 RWC; never played a game in their life but just wanted to have a crack at this game they call Rugby. That is by the exception, not the rule.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
There also used to be some feeding from Croydon (myself included). Not sure how much this happens anymore.

A lot of the inner-city teams like Melbourne and Quins are fed well from the private schools in the area (St Kevins, Xavier, Scotch etc.), however Box Hills don't seem to have this. When I played there were some links to schools, but at that time they had a very strong juniors presence (even a few of the state coaches) and didn't have to rely on the schools that much. Now all those kids have grown up and moved on, but the junior players have necessarily been replaced and without any feed-in links they have to rely on the ex-pat community to fill the void.

I don't really know the solution here; linking schools to clubs won't work because of the VSRU commitments on weekends, however it might help for colts and seniors. Promoting and recruiting directly from schools without Rugby team may help, but you're up against the AFL monster (which is particularly strong in the eastern suburbs). Old players like me might try to entice their kids to play, but then again it might not be for them.

The link between soup/national success and grassroots popularity still remains, but it might take some time to filter through. I remember a few new faces turning up after our near-success at the 2003 RWC; never played a game in their life but just wanted to have a crack at this game they call Rugby. That is by the exception, not the rule.

A lot is made of "links" to schools and clubs but it's largely bs, there's equal share of Skevies at Melb and Quins for example.

It's all about individuals. If you attract a leader or strong personality to your club by asking them to play for you (duh) then they will bring mates. Melb and Quins are largely the only club doing this.

Have you guys pursued this angle?

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
Was it a good game? What happened to Quins, they've been smashing teams all season, Melbourne included.did they just fold on the dance floor?

A different Melbourne turned up for this one. I saw the first game at Prahran and Quins dusted Melbourne in every facet. This time it was the total opposite. Melbourne ran Quins off their feet in attack, producing excellent tries across the park and suffocated them out of the game in defence. Quins had no potency in attack and the main reason was they played LLoyd J at 10. He is built like a Sherman tank and running over people is what he does best. That's what he did against Melbourne in the first round. This time he wouldn't have run 5 feet the entire game. At least now we have a competition on our hands. For a while there it looked like no one would give Quins a decent run.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Was it a good game? What happened to Quins, they've been smashing teams all season, Melbourne included.did they just fold on the dance floor?

From what I saw it never really got started, there were passages of the game which were good but it didn't live up to what I expected it to.

Colts semi finals this weekend.
Quins Maroon v Melbourne (1v4)
Southern v Uni (2v3)

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
A lot is made of "links" to schools and clubs but it's largely bs, there's equal share of Skevies at Melb and Quins for example.

It's all about individuals. If you attract a leader or strong personality to your club by asking them to play for you (duh) then they will bring mates. Melb and Quins are largely the only club doing this.

Have you guys pursued this angle?

Not really sure, I haven't been associated wit the club for a few years now (sadly). Agree that a figurehead does help and it was evident in some circles back in the glory days of 99-01. The 1st coach at the time was a very galvanizing figure too, but players wanted to play for the guy. He knew how to get the best out of people.

Might be a similar problem for smaller clubs, I don't think the problem is just confined to Box Hill.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
MOORABBIN v MELBOURNE UNI Keys Rd Reserve 90A Keys Rd Cheltenham North
The match of the day is Moorabbin v Melbourne Uni to be played at Keys rd Reserve 3:10pm. The match of the day will be televised on CH. 31 on Wednesday 10 July at 9:00pm. Both teams had comfortable wins in Round 10 and will be looking to continue the momentum in to Round 11. Melbourne Uni is just four points out of the top five. Moorabbin are currently sitting third on the Dewar Shield ladder.
MOORABBIN
1. Nathaniel Iona, 2. Phillip Harrington, 3. Lepani Naituku, 4. Motusaga Ese, 5. Jordan Fowles, 6. Filli Leatu, 7. Fa’asau Sasulu, 8. Simon Brown, 9. Lualua Vailoaloa, 10. Neli Sasulu, 11. Ioane Perenise, 12. Frank Va’aua, 13. Brendan Todd, 14. Joe Kamana, 15. Malo Young-Yen
MELBOURNE UNI
1. Matthew Onesemo, 2. Reg Stowers, 3. James Pakoti, 4. Mitch Dean, 5. Netani Quicatabua, 6. Edwin Lusala, 7. Joel Djosevic, 8. Sam Vereker- Bindon, 9. Jake Groughan, 10. Byron Crieghton, 11. Vernon Van Schwaylk, 12. James Yates, 13. Lee Evans, 14. Justin Berry, 15. Daniel Kingan
REFEREE Ashley Badcock

FOOTSCRAY v HARLEQUIN Henry Turner South Reserve Cnr Farnsworth Ave & Myers Rd Footscray
Footscray will host Harlequin in Round 11 of the Dewar Shield. Footscray survived a close 3 point win against Power House in round 10, while Harlequin will look to bounce back after their first loss of the season in the Harold Mitchell Cup to Melbourne.
FOOTSCRAY
1. Ina Filipo, 2. Siosua Ngauamo, 3. Alan Imo, 4. Isaac Lilo, 5. Perenise Nikolao, 6. Melbourne Lesa, 7. Cameron Iviiti, 8. Tuipine Apineru, 9. Keisuke Yamada, 10. Martin Naufahu, 11. Isaako Tuifea, 12. Leon Tufuga, 13. Tonu Filipo, 14. Lui Sealuga, 15. Michael Toetu,
HARLEQUIN
1. Dale Stevenson, 2. James Api, 3. Junior Manase, 4. Angus Hamilton, 5. Paul Graham, 6. OJ Noa, 7. Jack De Guingand, 8. Niko Luaina, 9. Reuben Boss, 10. Kemu Valetini, 11. Larry Manu, 12. Justin Tavea, 13. Basil Api,14. Leo Owade, 15. Justin Marsters
REFEREE Matthew Hall

BOX HILL v MELBOURNE RHL Sparks Reserve Cnr Middleborough & Canterbury Rd Box Hill
Box Hill will host Melbourne in Round 11 of the Dewar Shield. Melbourne is edging closer to Harlequin and first position on the Dewar shield ladder after a convincing win in the Harold Mitchell Cup. Box Hill will have home ground advantage and will look to bounce back after a disappointing loss to Moorabbin in Round 10. Rebels’ Kimani Sitauti and Pat Leafa will start for Box Hill.
BOX HILL
1. George Manuoketoa, 2. Pat Leafa, 3. Ben Williams, 4. Ui Tuitaviki, 5. Sean Saunders, 6. Chris Moran, 7. James Vea, 8. Ged Logan, 9. Rory Featherstone, 10. Sam Williams, 11. Jo Quoro, 12. Tim Finau, 13. Kimami Sitauti, 14. Inia Ratu Mekerusa, 15. Ben Woolnough
MELBOURNE
1. Dan Corcoran, 2. Mitch Andrews, 3. Killian O'Neill, 4. Fred Austin, 5. Craig Charters, 6. Tim Emery (C), 7. Maika Tuinasavusava, 8. Ian Pahoulu, 9. Mika Kalolo, 10. Ben Jones, 11. Karl Balemi, 12. James Slattery, 13. Tim Le Nevez, 14. Chris Ling, 15. David Palu
REFEREE Daniel Coelho

SOUTHERN DISTRICTS v ENDEAVOUR HILLS Riviera Park Eel Race Rd Seaford
Southern Districts will host Endeavour Hills in Round 11 of the Dewar Shield. Southern Districts are coming off the bye, whilst Endeavour Hills suffered a 19 points loss to Melbourne Uni in Round 10. Southern Districts are just one point out of the top 5.
SOUTHERN DISTRICTS
1 Israel Lord, 2 Glen Salter, 3 Alex Lawson, 4 Leatuolo Tuala, 5 Teariki Daymond, 6 Sakaria Noa, 7 Rawiri Garmonsway ©, 8 Chris Episala, 9 Barry Te Hiko, 10 Wayne Mataiti, 11 Tom Kei, 12 Mike Tahitua, 13 Gasa Tiatia, 14 Alipate Ratubuli, 15 Jarrod Dowie
ENDEAVOUR HILLS
1. David Savea, 2. Bert Montgomer, 3. Mathew Logofiiti, 4. David Jennings, 5. Poieva Sita, 6. Sam Knight, 7. Laumoli Faaio, 8. Manni T’eo, 9. Fineka Amataga, 10. Milfi Taileipu, 11. Lemi Faimona, 12. John Leiataua, 13. Quinten Williams, 14. Samson Bandi, 15. Junio Paila,
REFEREE Caleb Hamilton

DEWAR SHIELD LADDER​
Club
P​
W​
D​
L​
F​
A​
BP 4t​
BP <7p​
Pts​
%​
Harlequin
9​
8​
0​
1​
344​
154​
6​
0​
42​
223.38%​
Melbourne
9​
7​
0​
2​
315​
190​
7​
0​
39​
165.79%​
Moorabbin
9​
6​
0​
3​
303​
208​
7​
1​
36​
145.67%​
Footscray
9​
6​
0​
3​
247​
155​
3​
1​
32​
159.35%​
Power House
9​
5​
0​
4​
239​
192​
4​
2​
30​
124.48%​
Sth Districts
8​
3​
1​
4​
265​
237​
5​
2​
29​
111.81%​
Melbourne Uni
9​
3​
1​
5​
230​
262​
5​
3​
26​
87.79%​
Endeavour Hills
9​
1​
0​
8​
146​
361​
2​
1​
11​
40.44%​
Box Hill
9​
0​
0​
9​
134​
464​
1​
0​
5​
28.88%​

doleq

Allen Oxlade (6)
Quins totally rolled the doggies in the second half on Saturday. LJ came on at 10, pushing Valentini out wider and together they just cut holes in the defence. Probably the best half of attacking footy I have seen in the comp this year. Bulldogs had no answers. Halfback Yamada was Footscray's best again.

Was surprised to hear the Uni result, their defence had been much improved this season.

Quins v Southern in the colts final on Friday night at AAMI

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Yamada is the small Asian bloke right? He is a hell of a player, even more impressive when you take into account his size.

doleq

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah he would have to be the best half in the comp. Added to the fact that the pack on the weekend was getting dusted for all eighty minutes

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Melbourne 13 V Moorabbin 21
Harlequin 72 V Box Hill 12
Endeavour Hills 14 V Power House 31
Melbourne Uni 22 V Southern Districts 58
Footscray BYE

Quins won the colts final on Friday night 27-13.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Some good rugby coming up in the next few weeks, 4th and 5th spot on the line with House, Souths and Footscray battling hard for it, one is going to miss out.....might come down to bonus points for the loss!

Souths have: Moorabbin (a), Footscray (a), Quins (h) Box Hill (h) and Melbourne (h)
House have: Box Hill (h), Quins (a), Moorabbin (h), Melbourne (a) and Uni (a)
Footscray have: End Hills (a), Souths (h), Melbourne (a), Uni (h), Moorabbin (a)

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Footscray v Souths in 2 rounds time will decide it IMO. All 3 teams should have an easy win against either BH or EH. House and Footscray might get pushed by Uni and if either of them can pick up a BP in that game then it will go a long way.

Assuming they will all lose against Moorabbin (they are looking strong from what I have seen over the past 3 weeks) then whoever can get a losing BP might edge it.

Souths probably have the hardest run into the finals out of the 3 teams.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
So all results went the way you would predict yesterday.

Looking at the whole system a bit closer the finals format is a complete and utter joke. Seeing the VRU wanted a 9 team comp they really should have a 4 teams finals format. Having more teams make finals than mis out just devalues the season and the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.