• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales vs Australia - Sunday 12 November - 4:15am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Only seen the second half admittedly, but saw no signs we have what it takes to beat England at Twickenham. I think aiming for 3/4 would be a good result overall.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Are you suggesting the ARU concede defeat in next weeks game right now and avoid the possibility of injury, or god forbid a win, and just prepare for Scotland the following week? I take it that you have not yet seen England-Argentina.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought the Welsh really fronted up well, their physicality in defence was impressive. Would like to see the stats- they barely missed a tackle.

All in all it was a pretty good win. Our discipline was atrocious, but our patience in attack was good to see. We took our chances well, and deserved the win.

Next week will be a much sterner test, and we’ll rightly start as underdogs. I’d like to see Hunt at 12, as I think we’re much better suited to a playmaker in that role.

Wales look to be building nicely, though the injury to Davies is a heartbreaker. He was probably the best player on the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tragic

John Solomon (38)
The scrum worries me.
Sio folded like an origami master against the English.
No coincidence after a scrum session with Eng the Welsh managed the same.
Whatever they're doing they've worked out how to expose him.
The English pack will be salivating after that outing.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tragic, you have a thing about Scott Sio, apparently. The Aussie scrum had dominance while both Sio and Kepu were on the field. And Sio's play in the open was first class.

Interestingly, in the first half particularly, Hodge played first receiver on a few occasions and I might add, the backline looked the better for it. Overall, the backs were outplayed while the forwards won their battle.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The scrum worries me.
Sio folded like an origami master against the English.
No coincidence after a scrum session with Eng the Welsh managed the same.
Whatever they're doing they've worked out how to expose him.
The English pack will be salivating after that outing.
Yeah I didn't see that Sio for the most part had the upper hand..and won a few penalties..

Great first half second not so great but we won. Hunt in for Kervi and get Valetini or Timu on the plane to play 6..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Tragic, you have a thing about Scott Sio, apparently. The Aussie scrum had dominance while both Sio and Kepu were on the field. And Sio's play in the open was first class.

No I rate Sio.
But he was exposed against England by whatever scrum skullduggery they managed. I recall some props on the forum suggesting they were getting him to overextend then hinging or backing off the pressure a bit causing him to fold.
It seems the Welsh were managing the same thing at times and I'm not sure it was a coincidence given the opposed scrum session with Eng recently. It seems they have worked out how to exploit a technical issue which interestingly isn't an issue against SH sides. He did give away a few penalties if I recall correctly.
It didn't seem to me we had scrum dominance. Parity sometimes, penalised sometimes. And a little lucky at times to get away with a collapsed scrum where the ball still made it out but where we appeared to be at fault.
He's the best LH we have at the moment - no issue.
But I'm just concerned the English will do it better and I have a sense of deja vous coming.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah I didn't see that Sio for the most part had the upper hand..and won a few penalties..

Great first half second not so great but we won. Hunt in for Kervi and get Valetini or Timu on the plane to play 6..

Lol. The old untried teenage debutante fix it trick.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Lol. The old untried teenage debutante fix it trick.

You mean instead of the untried teenager they currently have there at 6?. Or I'd select Big Dog. But Ned can't be our current best 6 in Oz with Dempsey out.. But hey they selected him with little to no game time this year into 6.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Next week will be a much sterner test, and we’ll rightly start as underdogs. I’d like to see Hunt at 12, as I think we’re much better suited to a playmaker in that role.

Good news is England looked pretty lacklustre against the Pumas (although Farrell and Itoje were out).

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Might not fix it but Valetini would be an improvement on Ned even as a 19 year old. Wouldn't mind seeing either Timu or Valetini over there for at least development purposes.
I don’t disagree with that but you can’t just chuck him in the cauldron based on NRC form. He’s next years project

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
You mean instead of the untried teenager they currently have there at 6?. Or I'd select Big Dog. But Ned can't be our current best 6 in Oz with Dempsey out.. But hey they selected him with little to no game time this year into 6.

I’m not advocating Ned. Don’t even think he will be in the squad next year

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I don’t disagree with that but you can’t just chuck him in the cauldron based on NRC form. He’s next years project

Yeah I'm not asking for him to be in the side against England but I still think that there is enough time for him to gain some useful experience just being around the squad. It would set a good precedent for the NRC by saying that consistently good performances don't go unrecognised by the national selectors.I would hope that the NRC standard in the coming years continues to improve so that we can move past good performances being written off as "oh it's only the NRC though."

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought the Welsh really fronted up well, their physicality in defence was impressive. Would like to see the stats- they barely missed a tackle.

All in all it was a pretty good win. Our discipline was atrocious, but our patience in attack was good to see. We took our chances well, and deserved the win.

Wales look to be building nicely, though the injury to Davies is a heartbreaker. He was probably the best player on the park.

Wales made 150 tackles and missed 3!!!!! We made 136 and missed 20.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
A nice win and decent game of rugby to watch. It pretty much went as expected.
The usual suspects were our biggest weakness:
Scrum: Looked shaky to me, worries me for the poms match.
Foley: I thought his kicking was good for his standards, which is still average, his bombs just needed that little extra hang time that he can't get.
Hanigan: Slowed our momentum every time he went into contact, let's hope McCalman will take his spot.He was clearly weakest on field.
Simmons: Does his usual few penalties, don't really notice him much otherwise.

Then there was something that surprised me. Kerevi wasn't a liability on defence but was pretty ineffective in attack. Is there much point in selecting him if he can't do his damaging runs? I'm thinking Hunt would be the better option.

Wales made plenty of opportunities but just weren't clinical enough to make that 'last pass'. They reminded me of us most of the time we play the All Blacks.

Genia had a great game and boy isn't TPN playing great. I can't believe he couldn't secure a club, he's by far the best Hooker in Aus right now. I think he could last another 2 years till RWC too!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Wales made 150 tackles and missed 3!!!!! We made 136 and missed 20.

That's an epic performance by Wales. Will anyone beat 98% completion rate this year (this century)? They sure dealt well with our midfield threats. Beale's pickpocket job was IMO the turning point in that game, I thought up till then the Welsh were going to overrun us.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That's an epic performance by Wales. Will anyone beat 98% completion rate this year (this century)? They sure dealt well with our midfield threats. Beale's pickpocket job was IMO the turning point in that game, I thought up till then the Welsh were going to overrun us.

Welsh defence was immense, but I disagree about the Welsh running over us. They have struggled for some time to finish off chances, and again so today. They almost stuffed their first try with a 3 on 1 overlap. Our cover defence was actually pretty good and I would have backed our finishers to nullify them again, even moreso had we had 15 on 15. I thought it was a good Wallaby performance. England will be a big step up, and rightly so, given their current standing and record over the past few years. And , not addressed to you, Hawko, but anyone who "expects" us to beat England, or sees a loss as a failure (rather than just annoying!!) at Twickenham is living in the past. I think we can, but it will take a very, very good game to do it.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I hope so, I love Kerevi but he seems to be a bit of a flat track bully. Against Tier 1 opposition he just doesn't have the impact he does against lower teams or in Super Rugby. He got caught high in contact a fair few times tonight and got held up or turned over as a result. This is fixable by a good coach, but I'm not convinced it will be fixed in the next 7 days.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I spent plenty of comment prior to kick off concerned about our ability to adapt strategy with Kerevi in the 12 slot. Thought it an unnecessary risk. I was wrong. The team adapted adequately, even with Wales really targeting that 10-12 corridor in attack and defense. It was buy no means flawless, but again the issue is NOT Kerevi it is the adaptation to changing strategy. We coped adequately. Loved Genia's defense in that sweep role, and actually Foley doubled up helping Genia defend in that channel AND was able to get back to defuse charged kicks. As predicted Wales successfully took time from Hodge at least once to create the charge down. Still, the team adapted and deserved their win, even with a worrying 10 mins down to 14. \ Don't mind me. I'm just eating my hat. Mm, tasty.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

98% completion rate doesn't mean much if you lose.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
98% completion rate doesn't mean much if you lose.

They say good teams find a way to win and we did. The NZ team used to do it in the McCaw days too against us, to my endless disappointment. That Wales lost does not take away from the fact they defended really well, better than most of our opposition all season. Completion rates don't guarantee you'll win, they are just part of the overall picture. The fact Wales lost just says that parts of their game were not good enough or that the bounce of the ball didn't go their way. Its why coaches of all persuasions go on endlessly about the process, not about the result.

I thought that Koroibete's failure to stop the try in the corner was almost miraculously good, even though the try was scored. Should we drop Koro because Wales scored? I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.