• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales vs Australia - Sunday 12 November - 4:15am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
They say good teams find a way to win and we did. The NZ team used to do it in the McCaw days too against us, to my endless disappointment. That Wales lost does not take away from the fact they defended really well, better than most of our opposition all season. Completion rates don't guarantee you'll win, they are just part of the overall picture. The fact Wales lost just says that parts of their game were not good enough or that the bounce of the ball didn't go their way. Its why coaches of all persuasions go on endlessly about the process, not about the result.

I thought that Koroibete's failure to stop the try in the corner was almost miraculously good, even though the try was scored. Should we drop Koro because Wales scored? I don't think so.

That's what's so good about this win, we are now starting to find a way to win (although historically we have a habit of doing this against Wales - for some reason). It's ironic the defence of Wales seemed so good, as it was their attack that threatened us so many times. I actually think it looked better then ours, but let down by execution. If only they were more clinical and could stick that last pass then they'd have both sides of the game covered. I think Wales will build to RWC with a strong team if they continue to improve. This is why I love rugby, so much potential from teams all over the world, makes for great competition. (unlike the current mungo ball world cup).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Didn't we score 2 tries pretty much because of his chip kicks into the opp 22? What has the guy gotta do seriously?

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

His clearance kicks were short (as usual), and his many bombs were ineffective. He didn't exactly put in any bad kicks but apart from those 2-3 attacking kicks, the rest were neutral kicks at best. So that gets him around a 3/10 ratio for good kicks (kicks that put opposition under pressure). Certainly not bad but not good either. The disappointing thing is, that's Foley's ceiling, he can't do better then that..

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Glen Jackson you upset mate ? Favoured Wales last night a fair bit. Good thing we didn't need him to win. Not only was Liam Williams held but it was a fucking ruck with Beale over it. Probably should of been a yellow card. I've had enough of players just getting up after being tackled. It's a joke. Wales were offside a fair bit but didn't get pinged once.

Wales were impressive though. Get rid of the handling errors and they probably win that game

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Are you suggesting the ARU concede defeat in next weeks game right now and avoid the possibility of injury, or god forbid a win, and just prepare for Scotland the following week? I take it that you have not yet seen England-Argentina.
Not at all. Im suggesting England are strong favourites and we should not be unhappy if we come away with 3 wins from 4.

England are going to go to town on the breakdown and scrum (again based only on the second half)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
That's an epic performance by Wales. Will anyone beat 98% completion rate this year (this century)? They sure dealt well with our midfield threats. Beale's pickpocket job was IMO the turning point in that game, I thought up till then the Welsh were going to overrun us.
Yeh it was great but if they got pinged when they were offside it would or sorted it out. Their line speed was amazing but still offside a handful of times.
Plus we scored 29 points against some of the best line speed and defence I've seen this year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Glen Jackson you upset mate ? Favoured Wales last night a fair bit. Good thing we didn't need him to win. Not only was Liam Williams held but it was a fucking ruck with Beale over it. Probably should of been a yellow card. I've had enough of players just getting up after being tackled. It's a joke. Wales were offside a fair bit but didn't get pinged once.

Wales were impressive though. Get rid of the handling errors and they probably win that game

Yeah i noticed that. Didn't stop to see if he let it go before jumping up and bolting.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah i noticed that. Didn't stop to see if he let it go before jumping up and bolting.

Yeh mate. He was tackled. Beale got over the ball. He should of released it for Beale but just got up and fan off. Beal was fucking over him! After he had been tackled and koreabeti was still holding on

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I saw somewhere that the penalty count went against us 13 - 3. Of those three against Wales, one was for Biggar with his tackle without using his arms, and two I think were for scrum infringements.

That must mean that Wales played the perfect game so far as being off-side was concerned and never infringed at the ruck area. C'mon Jacko, pull the other one.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pretty professional win IMHO

We got defended hard and in our faces, we kept our structures and found a way

We are starting to work harder off the ball as well. Look at Colemen's try, it was made by the line Kuridrani ran to suck in two defenders

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tragic, you have a thing about Scott Sio, apparently. The Aussie scrum had dominance while both Sio and Kepu were on the field. And Sio's play in the open was first class.

Interestingly, in the first half particularly, Hodge played first receiver on a few occasions and I might add, the backline looked the better for it. Overall, the backs were outplayed while the forwards won their battle.

Sio was having issues keeping the THP square and he played a lot of the scrums on his knees, other refs would not have been as tolerant.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty professional win IMHO

We got defended hard and in our faces, we kept our structures and found a way

We are starting to work harder off the ball as well. Look at Colemen's try, it was made by the line Kuridrani ran to suck in two defenders

Kuridrani is such an under-rated player. Great example of what seems like a quiet game at first glace but still having an impact off the ball and always a linch-pin in defence.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Just before half time Genia twice kicked the ball back into a ruck because he wasn’t ready for it. Am I correct in my understanding that this is actually illegal?

The second time it may not have actually cleared the ruck, but I definitely thought the first one was.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Just before half time Genia twice kicked the ball back into a ruck because he wasn’t ready for it. Am I correct in my understanding that this is actually illegal?

The second time it may not have actually cleared the ruck, but I definitely thought the first one was.

It does happen a fair bit. I would have thought that it would put all the players in front of the ball off-side.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
His clearance kicks were short (as usual), and his many bombs were ineffective. He didn't exactly put in any bad kicks but apart from those 2-3 attacking kicks, the rest were neutral kicks at best. So that gets him around a 3/10 ratio for good kicks (kicks that put opposition under pressure). Certainly not bad but not good either. The disappointing thing is, that's Foley's ceiling, he can't do better then that..
Well we would not have won the game without those 3 perfectly placed kicks. Don't know how many flyhalves kick 10 game winning kicks per game. 3 will do me.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought those couple of little kicks were a significant improvement on our normal modus operandi. Our attack has improved markedly this year, but those little kicks add something else for defences to worry about. They are a great foil to a fast moving defence tackling at 98%.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought the Welsh really fronted up well, their physicality in defence was impressive. Would like to see the stats- they barely missed a tackle.

All in all it was a pretty good win. Our discipline was atrocious, but our patience in attack was good to see. We took our chances well, and deserved the win.

Next week will be a much sterner test, and we’ll rightly start as underdogs. I’d like to see Hunt at 12, as I think we’re much better suited to a playmaker in that role.

Wales look to be building nicely, though the injury to Davies is a heartbreaker. He was probably the best player on the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you're committed to hunt starting and you wish for a playmaker at 12, why wouldn't you use KB (Kurtley Beale) at 12 and Hunt at 15 instead? That way it's just the same as what worked pretty well throughout the quad nations thing, just with a swap for Folau?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Well we would not have won the game without those 3 perfectly placed kicks. Don't know how many flyhalves kick 10 game winning kicks per game. 3 will do me.

That's a poor point as I could easily say 'how many games have we lost because of his poor kicking?' I don't know the exact number bu it's certainly more then he has won us from his kicking that's for sure. It's really all about consistency and he's got to at least replicate this form next week against England if we have any hope of winning. Anyways, I don't want to get into some Foley bashing argument, he was solid enough. Let's hope it continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.