• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This whole discussion is a little weird, IMO. Unless someone here has actually been on the field at Super/Wallaby level in the recent past, realistically they are just guessing, aren't they?

I don't know who calls the lineout, who they consult, whether they consider the larger ramifications of the game. Unless you were on the field, you don't either.

Really my only experience is running a lineout in Subbies. Which is light years away from what Rob Simmons, Rory Arnold etc do. So what do I know? What does anyone know? Why are we all even here? Isn't this world just a series of pre-determined simulations in the back recesses of a celestial supercomputer?

So anyway, Tahs rule.

As you were.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This whole discussion is a little weird, IMO. Unless someone here has actually been on the field at Super/Wallaby level in the recent past, realistically they are just guessing, aren't they?

I don't know who calls the lineout, who they consult, whether they consider the larger ramifications of the game. Unless you were on the field, you don't either.

Really my only experience is running a lineout in Subbies. Which is light years away from what Rob Simmons, Rory Arnold etc do. So what do I know? What does anyone know? Why are we all even here? Isn't this world just a series of pre-determined simulations in the back recesses of a celestial supercomputer?

So anyway, Tahs rule.

As you were.
I bet you ran one hell of a subbies lineout though, right?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wallabies line out has been running pretty decent without been shocking for a good 18months now. Not even sure why the line out is been discussed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Will be interesting to see how he fits into the Wallaby setup in our best 23.

Does he start at 10 or 12?

Does he take Reece Hodge's spot on the bench? Does he take the 22 jersey and Hodge plays 23 as the reserve outside back?

Certainly there will be cries of Cheika being underhanded if he was nothing more than a RWC squad member and not in our best 23.

It's good to see him wanting to return and have a tilt at the 2019 RWC. He was in our best 23 when he left and there's no reason to think he won't still be.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bittersweet. Never loved another flyhalf more. Wish him three Super Rugby runners up medals.

Now we have a legit backup option at 10 if Foley underperforms.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Will be interesting to see how he fits into the Wallaby setup in our best 23.

Does he start at 10 or 12?

Does he take Reece Hodge's spot on the bench? Does he take the 22 jersey and Hodge plays 23 as the reserve outside back?

Certainly there will be cries of Cheika being underhanded if he was nothing more than a RWC squad member and not in our best 23.

It's good to see him wanting to return and have a tilt at the 2019 RWC. He was in our best 23 when he left and there's no reason to think he won't still be.
He's better than Hodge, almost as good as Beale and if Foley keeps up his patchy form a real possibility at 10.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Will be good to see Matt To'omua back. Whether he plays 10 or 12, his impact on any game is more than just his ability to organise, take on the line or set up a support. His defense if it's back to his best, can absolutely demolish the attacking structures of the opposition side.Only takes a hit or two for the opposing No 10 or No 12 to start to look for him coming and that often results in poor execution of their backline play. None of our current inside back options have this capability in their play-books.

For a good example of his impact through hard hitting defense, have a look at the game between the Brumbies and the B&I Lions in 2013. Matt put terror into Billy Twelvetrees that I'm sure took a couple of seasons for Billy to recover from. I have heard that in preparation for the game, Matt would go out into one of the local forests each day for a week and pick out twleve trees to batter down as tackling practice.;)

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Another Oz rugby player showing their true colours. How can he sign a rebels deal if he just signed up for 2 years with Leicester?

Can Leicester play hardball?

Brad Thorn doesn't need to go round getting everyone's hair cut, he needs to go round explaining what signing a contract means

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Let’s see how he adjusts back to super rugby before we’re picking him in the wallabies. Hopefully he comes back from the UK more Kurtley Beale rather everyone other player that has come home over-hyped.
Yeah but usually it's the case where they leave average, seem good and come back average.

To'omua should have been our starting 12 when he left.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Another Oz rugby player showing their true colours. How can he sign a rebels deal if he just signed up for 2 years with Leicester?

Can Leicester play hardball?

Brad Thorn doesn't need to go round getting everyone's hair cut, he needs to go round explaining what signing a contract means

Pretty sure the contract with the Rebels won't start until his Leicester gig is up right? So he won't run out for the Rebels before the RWC. That thing where if you sign a future contract you are still eligible.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah but usually it's the case where they leave average, seem good and come back average.

To'omua should have been our starting 12 when he left.

I doubt there will be any issue with his quality. It will depend upon how Cheika wants to play, and how players fit together. I would not think that a Foley - To'omua combo with Beale 15 and Folau wing or some such arrangement would be a problem. To'omua's versatility would be a massive bonus, able to slot in 10 or 12; defending there is a plus; players can move about in attack as they do now.
Hopefully too his goal-kicking stays at the level he's been hitting over there ( apparently, I must confess to not seeing much rugby from there).
Any which way you cut it, having To'omua back in Oz is a very good thing.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Pretty sure the contract with the Rebels won't start until his Leicester gig is up right? So he won't run out for the Rebels before the RWC. That thing where if you sign a future contract you are still eligible.
Always tricky to tell but the reports at the time were that To'omua signed an additional two years past this season until 2020

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/...errer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

The report above is saying he would be back for the rebels in 2019 - something doesn't add up.

One way or another he's not getting much of an offseason for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.