• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought he would be unavailable for the 2019 Super Rugby season but potentially play for the Wallabies on the 2018 Spring Tour as it is during the international window and then for the Wallabies in 2019.

If his new Leicester deal was 1 year plus a 1 year option which gets announced as two years (same as Beale had at Wasps) then it wouldn't require leaving the contract early.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I doubt there will be any issue with his quality. It will depend upon how Cheika wants to play, and how players fit together. I would not think that a Foley - To'omua combo with Beale 15 and Folau wing or some such arrangement would be a problem.
Which winger do you drop if Beale moves to 15 and Folau to 14? Do you play a hybrid fullback/wing at 11 or stick with Koroibete? I’m not sure moving To'omua into 12 and dropping a winger necessarily improves our attack too much but does strengthen our defence although that doesn’t seem to be as dire an issue as it was last year. Also thought Beale was worse at 15 last year than he was at 12 but it’s not a bad selection headache to have.

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
T
I thought he would be unavailable for the 2019 Super Rugby season but potentially play for the Wallabies on the 2018 Spring Tour as it is during the international window and then for the Wallabies in 2019.

If his new Leicester deal was 1 year plus a 1 year option which gets announced as two years (same as Beale had at Wasps) then it wouldn't require leaving the contract early.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He signed for 3 seasons orginally
So 2016-2019

He then signed a 1 year extension on top of that which would take it to the end of the 2020 season in Novemeber.

From what I gather he will play for Australia this season but will still be at tigers till end of NH 2020 season.
Anything else is going to require him being brought out and from a Tigers POV we are one of the more secure clubs money wise in the prem so we can afford to play hardball if needs be.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Which winger do you drop if Beale moves to 15 and Folau to 14? Do you play a hybrid fullback/wing at 11 or stick with Koroibete? I’m not sure moving To'omua into 12 and dropping a winger necessarily improves our attack too much but does strengthen our defence although that doesn’t seem to be as dire an issue as it was last year. Also thought Beale was worse at 15 last year than he was at 12 but it’s not a bad selection headache to have.

As I said, it will depend on how they want to play in attack, primarily. Good players will miss out, and we have a few in the mid-field and wings who fit that bill. Nice to have another really good option in To'omua.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
The current system with a 6/2 split seems to be working fine with Hodges utility value. I wouldn't be shoehorning in To'omua just yet.

If you went with a 5/3 split, you would probably get To'omua in 22 and either Naivalu or Maddocks in 23.

Seems To'omua wanted to come home - will get to play for the Wallabies, and Cheika has a proper backup 10 and an established, international quality 12. (IMO Hodge has done nothing to suggest he is of starting International quality in any position, but is a very useful utility)

Might see Foley or Beale get rested and To'omua play during a game or 2 in RC

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I agree that To'omua won't walk back into the Wallaby 15. He might not even be in the 23.

But coming into a World Cup, depth is key. We've got injury cover, a more competitive squad environment, another experienced head to call on if needed.

In a position where our depth is paper thin, this can only be a good thing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Absolutely. The Wallabies need to be in a position where very good players can't make the 23.

Currently that only tends to happen in a couple of positions when everyone is healthy. We need it happening with more regularity in a lot more positions.

We were able to field a very strong side in June with a very large percentage of our best players healthy. Out of that you'd probably say that the only players that it was disappointing not to find space for were Alan Ala'alatoa and Rory Arnold.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The current system with a 6/2 split seems to be working fine with Hodges utility value. I wouldn't be shoehorning in To'omua just yet.

If you went with a 5/3 split, you would probably get To'omua in 22 and either Naivalu or Maddocks in 23.

Seems To'omua wanted to come home - will get to play for the Wallabies, and Cheika has a proper backup 10 and an established, international quality 12. (IMO Hodge has done nothing to suggest he is of starting International quality in any position, but is a very useful utility)

Might see Foley or Beale get rested and To'omua play during a game or 2 in RC
Isn't it just a straight swap, To'omua for Hodge? Or are you concerned about cover for outside backs?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
T

So 2016-2019

He then signed a 1 year extension on top of that which would take it to the end of the 2020 season in Novemeber.

From what I gather he will play for Australia this season but will still be at tigers till end of NH 2020 season.
Anything else is going to require him being brought out and from a Tigers POV we are one of the more secure clubs money wise in the prem so we can afford to play hardball if needs be.

T'man, did the original contract start in and include 2016? If so, the duration would have been 2016, 2017, and 2018. Maybe a 1 year extension would expire at the end of the 2019 season? Would really like to get some clarification on it all.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
T

So 2016-2019

Interesting, something funny is going on then. Surely, signing a contract for a Super club that starts in 2021 won't make you eligible for your nation in 2019.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
T'man, did the original contract start in and include 2016? If so, the duration would have been 2016, 2017, and 2018. Maybe a 1 year extension would expire at the end of the 2019 season? Would really like to get some clarification on it all.
Contract covered the 16/17, 17/18 and 18/19 years, and he re-signed earlier this year for 19/20 - by reports anyway.

As others have said, they may just be options for the 19/20 years

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Absolutely. The Wallabies need to be in a position where very good players can't make the 23.

Currently that only tends to happen in a couple of positions when everyone is healthy. We need it happening with more regularity in a lot more positions.

We were able to field a very strong side in June with a very large percentage of our best players healthy. Out of that you'd probably say that the only players that it was disappointing not to find space for were Alan Ala'alatoa and Rory Arnold.
Yep probably the greatest statement of the strength of NZ sides over the last decade has not been the quality of the team but the quality of the players that have missed out. We don’t have that sort of depth yet but a couple of years ago guys like Matt Philip, Tom Banks, Curtis Rona, Folau F. would have easily made the Wallbies 23 so I think we’ve come a good way.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Contract covered the 16/17, 17/18 and 18/19 years, and he re-signed earlier this year for 19/20 - by reports anyway.

As others have said, they may just be options for the 19/20 years

Given there is still a full season to play before that season I wouldn't be surprised if To'omua can get out of that contract with little or no compensation required.

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)

No his first contract goes
2016/17
2017/18
2018/19
With the extension
2019/20
Out of contract.

TBH I don't see him joining Rebels till after this season, and with the compensation and the free marquee the post RWC market would most likely be the best time to pick up a replacement.

Interesting, something funny is going on then. Surely, signing a contract for a Super club that starts in 2021 won't make you eligible for your nation in 2019.

That's if the rebels and ARU are not planning to buy him out.
As I said above the season after the world cup will be the best time to erm "Poach" SH players who will now want to top up their pension.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Given there is still a full season to play before that season I wouldn't be surprised if To'omua can get out of that contract with little or no compensation required.
Who knows at this point.

Leicester might play hardball given the money they've had to shell out in th past to get hte players they want
http://intheloose.com/2017/02/15/fords-transfer-fee-record-breaker/
It was announced today to The Times that Ford’s transfer fee is a sum of £500,000; this being a new record transfer fee for a player moving between 2 British clubs.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not sure how you work that out?

Because it seems these days that too often players can get out of contracts too easily. Not so much because it's right. Given the parlous state of funding here, any large sums paid for an early contract release would want to be pretty clearly documented, especially as far as the Rebels are concerned.

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Because it seems these days that too often players can get out of contracts too easily. Not so much because it's right. Given the parlous state of funding here, any large sums paid for an early contract release would want to be pretty clearly documented, especially as far as the Rebels are concerned.

You’d be surprised it can seem a lot easier than it actually is.
From Tigers POV
George Ford - Cost us 300k and Freddie Burns was going to cost around £500k
Jonny May - Gloucester was wanting around £250-300k settles for Slater
Mike Fitzgerald - Had to pay release from his provincial team in NZ
Brendan O’Connor - His provincial team wouldn’t even release him early for us!
And that just Tigers

Even the the Samu contract situation with NZ this year.

Unless they have specific clauses it’s pretty hard to get a release without something in exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.