• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Just finished listening to Eggchasers for the week, interesting to hear they believe TPN might be on his way back to Aus. No mention of where

Had a listen to it, not much more in it than what has already been reported.
Cheika was quite vocal earlier on in the year/last year saying he wanted him back in Super Rugby, TPN said he was sitting out Ireland tour to rest, and previously said he'd be available for TRC.
It didn't sound like they thought TPN was coming back to Aus for good.
Who know's what will happen!

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
How many Aussie overseas could potentially make the starting 15 for the Wallabies. Outside of TPN, McMahon, To'omua or Toby Smith. JOC (James O'Connor) is overseas perpetually injured and probably not wanted

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
WSR could put out a pretty competitive representative side if they snaffled all of those otherwise ineligible Wallabies, even just during the official test window. I'm sure, of course, RA and WR (World Rugby) would not bend over to allow WSR to obtain their services.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
How about we try to keep it realistic, instead of going down the fantasy pathway. Players who are eligible.
The question was asked who could realstically make it if they returned i asnwered...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The question was asked who could realstically make it if they returned i asnwered.

We have no indication they are returning so they remain in the realm of fantasy. Let's stick to those we know are eligible.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
Potential injury cover for positions in the RWC Squad? A few injuries will definately play a part moving forward, any names who should be considered for selection?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
My take on injury cover/next cab off the rank - Ala'alatoa, Fainga'a (may well leapfrog Paenga-Amosa), Arnold & then Philip, Backrow is already pretty well covered, Gordon then Ruru, Hodge then absolutely NFI, Meakes at IC, TK in for Kerevi then Rona, Banks then Maddocks

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fainga'a should get a gig his been outstanding since the break. His got some real class about him in ball playing running and his lineout and scrum work has gone too another level..

agree. I think Tolu Latu leaped over BPA in that last test, and I think Fainga'a has probably done the same since the test series. So my three for the RC would be TPN, Latu and Folau.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
My starting point for a squad would be two teams of 15 for opposed training purposes complemented with an additional player in each of the hooker, prop and half back positions. That would be 33 in the squad. Is this likely or is it too many?

Accounting for current injuries and form in the Irish tests and later Super rounds, and to allow for TPN and To'omua to return, I'd go with:

LHP : Sio, Robertson
Hooker : TPN, Latu, Fainga'a
THP : Ala'alatoa, Tupou
Extra prop : Kepu

Lock (LHS) : Coleman; Arnold
Lock (THS) : Rodda, Tui

No 6 : Samu, Cottrell
No 7 : Pocock, Miller
No 8 : Timu, ASY (Angus Scott-Young)

No 9 : Genia, Powell, Gordon
No 10 : Foley, To'omua

No 12 : Beale, Hodge
No 13 : Kuridrani, Rona

No 11 : DHP, Maddocks
No 13 : Koriobete, Petaia
No 15 : Folau, Banks

Most significant omissions are Simmons, Hanigan, and Phipps. I accept that Cheika won't see things the same way I do.

A shadow list to provide injury cover would then include :

BPA, Johnson-Holmes, Makin, Philip, Simmons, Hanigan, Wright, Phipps, Leali'ifano, Paia'aua, Naivalu.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't really get what you see in Cottrell. He's fine but he is rarely a standout at Super Rugby level and makes too many mistakes.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
My starting point for a squad would be two teams of 15 for opposed training purposes complemented with an additional player in each of the hooker, prop and half back positions. That would be 33 in the squad. Is this likely or is it too many?

Accounting for current injuries and form in the Irish tests and later Super rounds, and to allow for TPN and To'omua to return, I'd go with:

LHP : Sio, Robertson
Hooker : TPN, Latu, Fainga'a
THP : Ala'alatoa, Tupou
Extra prop : Kepu

Lock (LHS) : Coleman; Arnold
Lock (THS) : Rodda, Tui

No 6 : Samu, Cottrell
No 7 : Pocock, Miller
No 8 : Timu, ASY (Angus Scott-Young)

No 9 : Genia, Powell, Gordon
No 10 : Foley, To'omua

No 12 : Beale, Hodge
No 13 : Kuridrani, Rona

No 11 : DHP, Maddocks
No 13 : Koriobete, Petaia
No 15 : Folau, Banks

Most significant omissions are Simmons, Hanigan, and Phipps. I accept that Cheika won't see things the same way I do.

A shadow list to provideiInjury cover would then include :

BPA, Johnson-Holmes, Makin, Philip, Simmons, Hanigan, Wright, Phipps, Leali'ifano, Paia'aua, Naivalu.

Bold move to drop Hooper out of the squad completely. Your desperation to ditch as many Waratahs as possible is becoming a bit unhinged.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Same with Kepu. Can't fathom you're eagerness to ditch him. Bloke is our greatest ever prop, who held up our scrum (again) against Ireland.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Same with Kepu. Can't fathom you're eagerness to ditch him. Bloke is our greatest ever prop, who held up our scrum (again) against Ireland.
I'm keen to see Tupou start. I get the whole 'impact off the bench thing'. But fuck, how about impact in the first 50 minutes and Kepu can see out the match. Just makes more sense to have the younger legs doing more minutes.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I don't really get what you see in Cottrell. He's fine but he is rarely a standout at Super Rugby level and makes too many mistakes.

I like his attitude and aggression BH. Did you notice, for instance, the chase he put on Naholo last week when Naholo scored his try. It was Cottrell and nobody else who chased him 50m to the try line and just never gave up, and incidentally lost very little in pace against the flying winger. He invariably makes the gain line and sometime over it when carrying the ball. His tackling hurts, if occasionally over the top, hence the penalties. For impact, I would have him over the likes of Hanigan any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.