• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We're blessed by depth at the moment and I see the argument that Tupou and even AAA may be edging closer - they are both great players.

But let's have a look at Kepu's stats for the Ireland series. Keep in mind he's 32 so not super old by prop standards.

He made only seven runs, but while he was on (first 50-60 minutes) we struggled for possession.

He made 35 tackles, and missed just three for a success rate of 92%.

He didn't lose a single scrum, and conceded two penalties in general play through the series.

If that's a 'shadow of his former self' then he must have been pretty fkn good beforehand.

And yes I know stats aren't everything, but to me those are the numbers of a bloody good THP - a focus on his core responsibilities (the scrum first, the scrum second and tight defence third) and a pretty decent workrate.
One of which was complete bullshit.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'll have a turn at this.........

Last RWC Cheika went with 2 XV's (plus one) due to the tight turnaround between the Uruguay and England matches.

I'm not sure if we'll go with the same strategy again - it will depend on the draw.

PROPS: Sio, Kepu, Tupou, Robertson, Ala'alatoa - this is pretty much a lock, barring injury.

HOOKERS: TPN, Uelese, Fainga'a - Fainga'a is obviously rated by the Wobs' coaching staff, and I feel like his form trajectory will see him overtake BPA (whose lineout throwing has been gash), and Latu, who would be next cab off the rank and a strong possibility depending on Uelese's return to form

LOCKS: Coleman, Arnold, Rodda, Simmons

BACKROW: Pocock Hooper, Tui, Samu, Naisarani - I wouldn't be surprised to see Hanigan there, but I don't rate him as he lacks effectiveness. If Dempsey returns to form could take the place of Samu or Timu. And I've left out McMahon as Reg seems to believe he's unlikely to return.

SCRUMHALVES: Genia, Phipps, Powell - Just like our props this is pretty much locked in. But we might only opt for 2 scrumhalves and take an extra outside back.

FLYHALVES: Foley, To'omua - granted the rumours about To'omua are true. There's really no one else.

CENTRES: Beale, Kuridrani, Kerevi, Rona

WINGS/FULLBACKS: Folau, DHP, Korobeite, Hodge, Banks - That last spot will come down to Banks or Maddocks, but I think Banks is ahead of him at this stage.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Last RWC Cheika went with 2 XV's (plus one) due to the tight turnaround between the Uruguay and England matches.

I'm not sure if we'll go with the same strategy again - it will depend on the draw.

Our schedule is:

Saturday 21 September vs Fiji
Sunday 29 September vs Wales
Saturday 5 October vs Uruguay
Friday 11 October vs Georgia

So there's no tight turnarounds and our two six day turnarounds are before our easiest two matches.

Could definitely see that as changing Cheika's selection strategy from having two distinct XVs.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So based on that we'll go with our best XV for the first two games, field our B team against Uruguay and mix it up for Georgia.............

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We're blessed by depth at the moment and I see the argument that Tupou and even AAA may be edging closer - they are both great players.

But let's have a look at Kepu's stats for the Ireland series. Keep in mind he's 32 so not super old by prop standards.

He made only seven runs, but while he was on (first 50-60 minutes) we struggled for possession.

He made 35 tackles, and missed just three for a success rate of 92%.

He didn't lose a single scrum, and conceded two penalties in general play through the series.

If that's a 'shadow of his former self' then he must have been pretty fkn good beforehand.

And yes I know stats aren't everything, but to me those are the numbers of a bloody good THP - a focus on his core responsibilities (the scrum first, the scrum second and tight defence third) and a pretty decent workrate.
Precisely, he was. As well as being rated the best scrumaging THP at least in Super Rugby, and maybe across the world, he was always threatening with ball in hand. Clean line breaks and many metres gained were hallmarks of his game.

In 2018, he has had few of those barnstorming runs, and his workrate in attack looks to have dropped off. In comparing the three options at THP, I would rate Tupou now as the most threatening runner of the ball, and Ala'alatoa as having the highest and most effective workrate. Against the accepted wisdom on these forums, I reckon the TH side of the Tahs' scrum has been the weaker side most of the season, since Tom Robertson found form, and Kepu has lost that immovable presence that he previously had. Both TT and AA are in my opinion better scrum Practitioners than Kepu at the moment, and are likely to get even better by RWC time.

It is simply a matter of the other two overtaking Kepu.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Taniela Tupou &#39;forced 34 scrum penalties - second only to Wilco Louw of the Stormers (36). Equal leading try scorer (4) among props...also led props in tackle busts (32), try assists (2), and finished with the equal second most ruck and maul turnovers (3).&#39; <a href="https://t.co/F0BZ9coAQG">https://t.co/F0BZ9coAQG</a></p>&mdash; Russ Petty (@rpetty80) <a href="">July 18, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Horrendous injury news for the Wallabies. Kuridrani out with a torn pectoral muscle for the Rugby Championship.

Looks like Rona will be playing 13 or maybe Hodge will be trialled there.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/wallabies-centre-crisis-tevita-kuridrani-ruled-out-for-three-months/news-story/f9f495684342afcf70ef9bc0160b02b8
crap - I would probably put Hodge at 13 ahead of Rona despite Hodge not playing 13 all season....just not convinced Rona offers enough at Wallaby level this stage to seriously consider..

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
crap - I would probably put Hodge at 13 ahead of Rona despite Hodge not playing 13 all season..just not convinced Rona offers enough at Wallaby level this stage to seriously consider..
Exactly. If the Brumbies could put Rona off his game as much as they did, I’d hate to see what the AB’s could do.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
crap - I would probably put Hodge at 13 ahead of Rona despite Hodge not playing 13 all season..just not convinced Rona offers enough at Wallaby level this stage to seriously consider..

Rona had a shocker, but has been better this season. It's a tough one - Hodge is a good player, but really not proven at 13 at all, which most acknowledge is a pretty tricky position, particularly with defensive organisation.
I suspect Rona might get the gig simply because he has played more 13 than other options. But it is a bit of a worry.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sad news for TK as he was coming in to some really good form.

Isn't McMahon coming back next year to have a tilt at the RWC? I would have him ahead of both Timu and Naisarani.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sad news for TK as he was coming in to some really good form.

Isn't McMahon coming back next year to have a tilt at the RWC? I would have him ahead of both Timu and Naisarani.

Well he has to play for a Super Rugby franchise in 2019 & at the moment it seems he won’t be returning to any of the Aus franchises

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well he has to play for a Super Rugby franchise in 2019 & at the moment it seems he won’t be returning to any of the Aus franchises

I think he just needs to contracted for 2020 to an Oz Super side. To'omua will be eligible the same way?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would have Hodge at 13 now TK is out. He has experience with the Wallabies and has not let the side down in any of his appearances. He is a good tackler, and I'm sure the coaching staff have sufficient time available to ensure he's across the demands of the 13 spot. And his long kicking game, for touch and goal, is a major weapon.

Rona, on the other hand, is comparatively unknown at test level, and has struggled in his last two Super games. I know the excuses will come out about his new family and the absence of sleep etc, but in this case better the devil you know (more about) than the one you don't.

I actually think if and when Hodge comes to terms with the 13 spot, he will make a very good fist of it, and eventually will make it his go to position.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
There has been talk that korobeati defends better with a Fijian inside him as TK makes defencive calls to him in fijian im guessing Kervi does too. Not that we have a choice now but might be why he defends better in the wallabies then at the rebels..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I would have Hodge at 13 now TK is out. He has experience with the Wallabies and has not let the side down in any of his appearances. He is a good tackler, and I'm sure the coaching staff have sufficient time available to ensure he's across the demands of the 13 spot. And his long kicking game, for touch and goal, is a major weapon.

Rona, on the other hand, plays for the Waratahs.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
There has been talk that korobeati defends better with a Fijian inside him as TK makes defencive calls to him in fijian im guessing Kervi does too. Not that we have a choice now but might be why he defends better in the wallabies then at the rebels..
I'd be picking Rona, but I'd be excited to see Koroibete at 13 for the Argie game or something. Banks at fullback, Hodge and Naivalu on the wings. Not that I think it'd be the best, but I'd be excited.

11. Hodge
12. Paia'aua
13. Koroibete
14. Naivalu
15. Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.