• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Bold move to drop Hooper out of the squad completely. Your desperation to ditch as many Waratahs as possible is becoming a bit unhinged.

Sorry, Cyclo, but I assumed Hooper wouldn't be fit for the initial squad. If I'm wrong about that, then he replaces Miller.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm keen to see Tupou start. I get the whole 'impact off the bench thing'. But fuck, how about impact in the first 50 minutes and Kepu can see out the match. Just makes more sense to have the younger legs doing more minutes.

It's obviously inevitable he will start Tests soon enough. I like the way they have brought him along though. It's what the Kiwis would do too. Especially with propping, where they mature later, keeping experienced players (who are still playing well) in the squad in a part-mentoring role is a huge benefit also. the good thing is there is depth developing nicely, so injuries are less of an "oh, shit" moment. Plus, some of his other skills are probably even better in looser, less structured play later in the game. He should be a fixture for a long time.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Same with Kepu. Can't fathom you're eagerness to ditch him. Bloke is our greatest ever prop, who held up our scrum (again) against Ireland.

Kepu has been a shadow of his former self this year and certainly was not a standout against the Irish. He is still a test quality THP, but appears to me to be on the slide, albeit quite slowly. At a time when Aus seems to be at the summit of world class props, I think both Ala'alatoa and Tupou have overtaken him for the test spots.

Tupou has greater strength and impact, and Ala'alatoa has greater endurance and workload.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I like his attitude and aggression BH. Did you notice, for instance, the chase he put on Naholo last week when Naholo scored his try. It was Cottrell and nobody else who chased him 50m to the try line and just never gave up, and incidentally lost very little in pace against the flying winger. He invariably makes the gain line and sometime over it when carrying the ball. His tackling hurts, if occasionally over the top, hence the penalties. For impact, I would have him over the likes of Hanigan any day.

So he's an average player with a good attitude? I don't see him being close to the Wallaby squad.

I don't really see him as having much impact at Super Rugby level. I wouldn't have had him starting nearly as many games as he did this season for the Rebels.

His career might have gone further without a couple of serious injuries but at 28 I really can't see him leapfrogging a number of significantly younger players that he hasn't shown himself to be any better than.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
LHP : Sio, Robertson
Hooker : TPN, Latu, Fainga'a
THP : Ala'alatoa Kepu, Tupou
Extra prop : Kepu Ala'alatoa

Lock (LHS) : Coleman; Arnold
Lock (THS) : Rodda, Tui
Extra Lock: Phillip?

No 6/8 : Samu, Cottrell Hanigan, Timu, ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
No 7 : Pocock, Miller Hooper

No 9 : Genia, Phipps, Powell, Gordon
No 10 : Foley, To'omua

No 12 : Beale, Hodge, Paia'aua
No 13 : Kuridrani, Rona

No 11 : DHP, Maddocks
No 14 : Koriobete, Petaia, Naivalu
No 15 : Folau, Banks

Most significant omissions are Simmons, Hanigan, and Phipps. I accept that Cheika won't see things the same way I do.

A shadow list to provide injury cover would then include :

BPA, Johnson-Holmes, Makin, Philip, Simmons, Hanigan, Wright, Phipps, Leali'ifano, Paia'aua, Naivalu.

My changes to your list. Reckon we'd pick the same starting lineup, though ;)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I still rate Gordon over Phipps, but i think Cheika has demonstrated Phipps will be second choice in the RWC. Don't rate Powell at all.

Tui will be a 6 option, and i doubt Simmons will get dropped because he's a great caller.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
My starting point for a squad would be two teams of 15 for opposed training purposes complemented with an additional player in each of the hooker, prop and half back positions. That would be 33 in the squad. Is this likely or is it too many?

Accounting for current injuries and form in the Irish tests and later Super rounds, and to allow for TPN and To'omua to return, I'd go with:

LHP : Sio, Robertson
Hooker : TPN, Latu, Fainga'a
THP : Ala'alatoa, Tupou
Extra prop : Kepu

Lock (LHS) : Coleman; Arnold
Lock (THS) : Rodda, Tui

No 6 : Samu, Cottrell
No 7 : Pocock, Miller
No 8 : Timu, ASY (Angus Scott-Young)

No 9 : Genia, Powell, Gordon
No 10 : Foley, To'omua

No 12 : Beale, Hodge
No 13 : Kuridrani, Rona

No 11 : DHP, Maddocks
No 13 : Koriobete, Petaia
No 15 : Folau, Banks

Most significant omissions are Simmons, Hanigan, and Phipps. I accept that Cheika won't see things the same way I do.

A shadow list to provide injury cover would then include :

BPA, Johnson-Holmes, Makin, Philip, Simmons, Hanigan, Wright, Phipps, Leali'ifano, Paia'aua, Naivalu.
No Hooper lol Jesus.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Roffy, from your amendments, I'd say we'd differ with the starting THP. I'd have AAT where I think you are indicating you'd start with Kepu. Probably, the same otherwise.

I note you have 34 in the squad. Is that the likely number? If so, I'd agree with Philip coming in. If he does, he can presumably cover the 6/8 spot for opposed training. Otherwise, still one 6/8 spot vacant.

I have already conceded to Cyclopath that Hooper replaces Miller.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Petaia are two development players with huge potential I'd be keen to see included in the squad.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So he's an average player with a good attitude? I don't see him being close to the Wallaby squad.

I don't really see him as having much impact at Super Rugby level. I wouldn't have had him starting nearly as many games as he did this season for the Rebels.

His career might have gone further without a couple of serious injuries but at 28 I really can't see him leapfrogging a number of significantly younger players that he hasn't shown himself to be any better than.

And I don't see an average player with no attitude being a test quality player. Cottrell over Hanigan any day.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I still rate Gordon over Phipps, but i think Cheika has demonstrated Phipps will be second choice in the RWC. Don't rate Powell at all.

Tui will be a 6 option, and i doubt Simmons will get dropped because he's a great caller.

As I said Derpus, Cheika won't see Simmons, Hanigan and Phipps in the same light as I do. Those are my selections, not what I think Cheika will do.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't dispute Hanigan has good work rate, and in that sense his attitude is good, but I don't see him playing with "attitude" which was my reference to the way Cottrell plays the game.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Roffy, from your amendments, I'd say we'd differ with the starting THP. I'd have AAT where I think you are indicating you'd start with Kepu. Probably, the same otherwise.

I note you have 34 in the squad. Is that the likely number? If so, I'd agree with Philip coming in. If he does, he can presumably cover the 6/8 spot for opposed training. Otherwise, still one 6/8 spot vacant.

I have already conceded to Cyclopath that Hooper replaces Miller.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Petaia are two development players with huge potential I'd be keen to see included in the squad.

Kepu is class, I'm trusting him until he hits the Stephen Moore form collapse.

I think it will be 35 players (gut feeling that we'll have two sets of 15, then an extra prop, hooker, lock, scrumhalf, and outside back), but who knows?

I have a lot of belief in ASY (Angus Scott-Young), but I'm also pretty sure we won't be sending development guys to the world cup.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Kepu has been a shadow of his former self this year and certainly was not a standout against the Irish. .

We're blessed by depth at the moment and I see the argument that Tupou and even AAA may be edging closer - they are both great players.

But let's have a look at Kepu's stats for the Ireland series. Keep in mind he's 32 so not super old by prop standards.

He made only seven runs, but while he was on (first 50-60 minutes) we struggled for possession.

He made 35 tackles, and missed just three for a success rate of 92%.

He didn't lose a single scrum, and conceded two penalties in general play through the series.

If that's a 'shadow of his former self' then he must have been pretty fkn good beforehand.

And yes I know stats aren't everything, but to me those are the numbers of a bloody good THP - a focus on his core responsibilities (the scrum first, the scrum second and tight defence third) and a pretty decent workrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.