• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not sure how you work that out?

It's pure speculation so to is it to suggest that a large payment will be required for a year of a contract that hasn't commenced yet (i.e. he is still on his original contract).

He wants out of his contract partly for family reasons.

It's rarely a good situation to play hardball with someone who doesn't want to be there.

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
It's pure speculation so to is it to suggest that a large payment will be required for a year of a contract that hasn't commenced yet (i.e. he is still on his original contract).

He wants out of his contract partly for family reasons.

It's rarely a good situation to play hardball with someone who doesn't want to be there.

The fact that the second contract hasn’t commenced is pretty irrelevant now it signed.

I also didn’t suggest Tigers will be looking for a large payout.
I just stated that Tigers are one of the very few prem clubs that is financially sound and in terms of positions to be in that could play hardball if they wanted

I don’t know what Peter Tom (Chairman) and Simon cohen (CEO) will try to do.

BTW what’s the family reasons I’ve seen the RWC stuff in the press which makes sense but only seen the family stuff being speculated by people here and elsewhere.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BTW what’s the family reasons I’ve seen the RWC stuff in the press which makes sense but only seen the family stuff being speculated by people here and elsewhere.

His wife is most likely going to sign a deal to play cricket in Melbourne. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You’d be surprised it can seem a lot easier than it actually is.
From Tigers POV
George Ford - Cost us 300k and Freddie Burns was going to cost around £500k
Jonny May - Gloucester was wanting around £250-300k settles for Slater
Mike Fitzgerald - Had to pay release from his provincial team in NZ
Brendan O’Connor - His provincial team wouldn’t even release him early for us!
And that just Tigers

Even the the Samu contract situation with NZ this year.

Unless they have specific clauses it’s pretty hard to get a release without something in exchange.

I certainly don't think it should be easy for anyone. But we've seen a few players "released"from contracts in UK / Europe in recent years for what seems like change of heart to some degree. I'd be surprised and somewhat concerned if the Rebels and / or RA were going to pay a "large"amount, given the current climate here, although I appreciate you were not stating that would definitely be the case. To'omua seems to be a player that the Tigers would not want to let go if they could avoid it, and some of the those previously coming back here have perhaps been less tightly held! ;)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Because it seems these days that too often players can get out of contracts too easily. Not so much because it's right. Given the parlous state of funding here, any large sums paid for an early contract release would want to be pretty clearly documented, especially as far as the Rebels are concerned.
Yeah, perhaps they shouldn't sign contracts they don't intend to see out eh.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Isn't it just a straight swap, To'omua for Hodge? Or are you concerned about cover for outside backs?

In a 6/2 split - you need to cover the outside backs - hodge is probably a better outside back then he is an inside back. In a 5/3 split I would pick To'omua in a heartbeat. I think To'omua is a better inside back than Hodge hands down, BUT I do think that the 6/2 split is the go for the Wallabies so To'omua stands more as a straight swap for a Foley or Beale if/when required, rather than a bench player.

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
I certainly don't think it should be easy for anyone. But we've seen a few players "released"from contracts in UK / Europe in recent years for what seems like change of heart to some degree. I'd be surprised and somewhat concerned if the Rebels and / or RA were going to pay a "large"amount, given the current climate here, although I appreciate you were not stating that would definitely be the case. To'omua seems to be a player that the Tigers would not want to let go if they could avoid it, and some of the those previously coming back here have perhaps been less tightly held! ;)

Yeh the transfer market in Europe has had a huge increase a lot of it is down to players having change of hearts in middle of contract but all require a lot of work behind the scenes. (I'm being slightly biased about the work as i'm friends with someone who works with a agency and the work to gets these deals through is pretty tough).

The Goosen saga just shows what can happen if a club decides to try and play real "hardball", and no one won from it.

His wife is most likely going to sign a deal to play cricket in Melbourne. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

But the situation with his wife hasn't changed that much, I mean if he wanted to be with his wife in Aus anyway then why sign the contract.
I'm pretty sure To'omua will be off, but I just think the reason for the timing of it is 100% down to the world cup which is completely understandable considering at 29 next season it is most likely his last time to play in one potentially.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just finished listening to Eggchasers for the week, interesting to hear they believe TPN might be on his way back to Aus. No mention of where

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeh the transfer market in Europe has had a huge increase a lot of it is down to players having change of hearts in middle of contract but all require a lot of work behind the scenes. (I'm being slightly biased about the work as i'm friends with someone who works with a agency and the work to gets these deals through is pretty tough).
This is completely understandable. I don't think people down here really appreciate just how tough European winters can be. The lifestyle over all is pretty different as well (despite our perception that all is extremely similar). It's harder than you think to move your whole life north. Particularly if you are family oriented.

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
This is completely understandable. I don't think people down here really appreciate just how tough European winters can be. The lifestyle over all is pretty different as well (despite our perception that all is extremely similar). It's harder than you think to move your whole life north. Particularly if you are family oriented.

It's one of the main reason why a lot of European clubs tend to have a decent sized PI contingent to help counter the home sickness.
Just finished listening to Eggchasers for the week, interesting to hear they believe TPN might be on his way back to Aus. No mention of where

That would be more of a surprise than To'omua IMO eggchasers mentioned he might have his head turned so he can play in the world cup, but pretty sure he can play for them already due to the caps and I don't see the logic in buying out a 32 year olds contract really. (Maybe if he was OOC end of next season but he isn;t).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Apparently RA and USA Rugby are in talks about playing a game in the Bay area prior to the RWC next year. Some suggestion of using the now abandoned Oakland stadium though it may be a little too big. Though California has the largest player znd Rugby supporter base in the country so may be. Either way, it's a good business initiative from RA (which does seem odd) looking to engage a rapidly developing market.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Apparently RA and USA Rugby are in talks about playing a game in the Bay area prior to the RWC next year. Some suggestion of using the now abandoned Oakland stadium though it may be a little too big. Though California has the largest player znd Rugby supporter base in the country so may be. Either way, it's a good business initiative from RA (which does seem odd) looking to engage a rapidly developing market.

We did the same thing on the way to the last RWC.

Good way to make some extra money with a largely second string team (which gives the B team for our Uruguay game (and possibly somewhat vs Georgia)) a practice run.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
In a 6/2 split - you need to cover the outside backs - hodge is probably a better outside back then he is an inside back. In a 5/3 split I would pick To'omua in a heartbeat. I think To'omua is a better inside back than Hodge hands down, BUT I do think that the 6/2 split is the go for the Wallabies so To'omua stands more as a straight swap for a Foley or Beale if/when required, rather than a bench player.

To'omua as a straight swap for Foley makes the most sense for me if the form of both players warrants it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
We did the same thing on the way to the last RWC.

Good way to make some extra money with a largely second string team (which gives the B team for our Uruguay game (and possibly somewhat vs Georgia)) a practice run.

True. But in 2015 it was sort of on the way. They have to travel out to SF and then back to Japan this time. Also, the Eagles are on a distinct upward trajectory.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
True. But in 2015 it was sort of on the way. They have to travel out to SF and then back to Japan this time. Also, the Eagles are on a distinct upward trajectory.

Presumably they'll include a week at a college for a training camp or similar like last time as well.

Upward trajectory of the US team hopefully means more $$.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
By the time To'omua comes back - mid next year, it will have been 4 years since he played regularly at 10 (for the Brumbies in 2015). He's firmly at 12 for the tigers with GEorge Ford at 10 - he might get acouple more games at 10 during six nations.

I would think it's pretty fanciful at this point to think that To'omua would be ready to play 10 at a world cup in 2019

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Will not happen that way. Hopefully both are fit to go but Foley is going to be our first choice 10.
Yes I agree Foley will be the first cab off the rank unless his form goes further downhill .
By the time To'omua comes back - mid next year, it will have been 4 years since he played regularly at 10 (for the Brumbies in 2015). He's firmly at 12 for the tigers with GEorge Ford at 10 - he might get acouple more games at 10 during six nations.

I would think it's pretty fanciful at this point to think that To'omua would be ready to play 10 at a world cup in 2019
The way the Wallabies structure their backline plays I don’t think the ten is more of a link man than a real playmaker and it would be easier for To'omua to slip into the structure than in other systems. Still it would take a lot for him to unseat Foley if Foley’s form doesn’t spiral downward.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

Great news

Would love to see a mini tour jammed in somehow.

Canada then the US. Have the WC squad basically picked, the back up players play Canada on the Saturday a week before the US and then full strength plays US in the lead in.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Great news

Would love to see a mini tour jammed in somehow.

Canada then the US. Have the WC squad basically picked, the back up players play Canada on the Saturday a week before the US and then full strength plays US in the lead in.

What I'd like to see is all the SANZAAR nations but in lieu of that RA come to terms with USA Rugby to make in bounds tours and series more common between each party. Year on year two can play Canada while the other two play the USA and vice versa. Same with the EU powers on their way to the Asia Pacific. Play either one of Georgia or Japan more regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.