• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well DHPs wing leaked three tries so, yeah, dont think hes going to be any better defensively than Banks. Banks look good covering to be honest.

Hookerbytrade

Stan Wickham (3)
@Derpus, agreed DHP did let in a few tries.

Although I also look back at his past however many tests and rarely does he have a bad game. His consistency in the gold jersey over the past 3 years has been fantastic. Suddenly after one below average test match he's branded a bad player. Give him some time to settle back into the pace and change of test match footy and i believe he will continue to deliver for the Wallabies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Although I also look back at his past however many tests and rarely does he have a bad game. His consistency in the gold jersey over the past 3 years has been fantastic. Suddenly after one below average test match he's branded a bad player. Give him some time to settle back into the pace and change of test match footy and i believe he will continue to deliver for the Wallabies.
Well his below par match for the Wallabies combined with his subpar year in Super Rugby and the form of other available players puts him out of immediate contention.

Hes not a 'bad' player. Form obviously ebbs and flows. Doesn't mean to play someone when they aren't up to it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Firstly, how do you target a fullback in defense? Genuine question.

2ndly, I think many would argue that (at least positonally) Koroibete and DHP are close to our worst wing defenders.

B

Bobby Sands

Firstly, how do you target a fullback in defense? Genuine question.

2ndly, I think many would argue that (at least positonally) Koroibete and DHP are close to our worst wing defenders.

You target a fullback mainly by kicking when they are either out of position or in the line. I know you realise this.

While it is not the same as sending traffic down a channel or looking to exploit laziness on the inside or even running at weak shoulders (defender mostly prefer a shoulder) looking to exploit a fullback is one of the key attacking strategy posts.

To that end I think this is an area we will actually improve with not playing Israel.

Tom Banks is much faster, reads the game more intuitively & is a much better kicker.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You target a fullback mainly by kicking when they are either out of position or in the line. I know you realise this.

While it is not the same as sending traffic down a channel or looking to exploit laziness on the inside or even running at weak shoulders (defender mostly prefer a shoulder) looking to exploit a fullback is one of the key attacking strategy posts.

To that end I think this is an area we will actually improve with not playing Israel.

Tom Banks is much faster, reads the game more intuitively & is a much better kicker.

yeah I get it from a kick perspective. But as per the below, you can't really target a perceived weak defender at fullback, can you?

I am interested to see where the second playmaker or the bench spark (Beale) fits into the equation. I strongly believe if you want Beale at fullback you need two strong defensive wingers to be able to float. Teams will target Beale for his defensive in-capabilities sure but what he brings in ingenuity and his simple "eyes up" footy outweighs this factor of his game.

Therefore I see it important to have Korobete and potentially DHP to hold those wing spots, may also be a long shot but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a fantastic defensive player and makes the right decisions when it counts, I don't think he can be counted out. I'd like to see the back three to start against the Argies this weekend Korobete, Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/ DHP !!

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Just add to the list of people better then Davis.. Your proving my point, and Im pretty sure the person who put the stats up on Wingers early Speight was actually on top of the list for most stuff, and my choice be Korro/Beale/Banks.

Speight's stats were worse than Rona, Newsome, Naivalu and CFS. Supposedly Rona is not even a proper winger. Considering he is past his zenith & was being outperformed by players in considerably weaker teams it would be an odd choice & seemingly even beyond Cheika's bizarre/random selection policy.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Speight's stats were worse than Rona, Newsome, Naivalu and CFS. Supposedly Rona is not even a proper winger. Considering he is past his zenith & was being outperformed by players in considerably weaker teams it would be an odd choice & seemingly even beyond Cheika's bizarre/random selection policy.

Clearly in this case the stats aren’t telling the complete story.........

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
yeah I get it from a kick perspective. But as per the below, you can't really target a perceived weak defender at fullback, can you?
No. Even if they’re in the line, they’ll be floating out wide somewhere, very few opportunities in a game to target them.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Only when it suits it seems.

Not really............

Speight had a pretty poor start to the season, but was excellent for much of the latter half of the year.

I’m not at all suggesting he should be in the Wallabies, but that wouldn’t be as silly as suggesting all of those players listed above were better performing wingers this year.

But then again we went well past silly when Rod Davis was brought up........

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Hard to put a whole lot of faith in defensive stats for wingers anyhow. If your team is shit defensively your wingers are going to have numerous 1 vs many scenarios and get missed tackles against their names even when they were up against it. Koroibete was often on a hiding to nothing out wide when the Rebels were shipping 50+ points at the back end of the season.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There's something exciting about MK being caught well out of position, lulling his opposition winger into a false sense of security, then barrelling into the side of the sorry bastard in a thunderous try saving (though completely unnecessary) last second tackle.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
The Sydney Morning Hurled has O'Connor as a near certainty for the Argie bargie.

I must admit that I am all in favour of trying just about anything at this early stage of the year.

I have a feeling there wont be as many changes as people think. White, Lealiifano, Hodge, Kerevi, JOC (James O'Connor), Korobeite, Banks is my guess.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Lets be honest though he was struggling for the Rebels as well, and his carried that form into the tests

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Where did you get your stats from ? Im interested seriously the only stuff I saw had Speight being one of the top wingers, but it has been a while.

But who knows we probably have Foley and Beale on the wings with JOC (James O'Connor) at fullback :)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Making heaps of clean breaks?
You kind of need to target the front line for that to happen though. It’s a high risk strategy to implement, Beale’s tackle success is around 65-70% so even if you you succeed at the first hurdle of busting the front line with a view to targeting the defensive frailties of the fullback, you’ve still only got a 30% odd chance of success at the final hurdle.

I’d say most strategists would put all their energy into how to make more clean breaks and then chance their arm on getting past the fullback.

Status
Not open for further replies.