• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobby Sands

You kind of need to target the front line for that to happen though. It’s a high risk strategy to implement, Beale’s tackle success is around 65-70% so even if you you succeed at the first hurdle of busting the front line with a view to targeting the defensive frailties of the fullback, you’ve still only got a 30% odd chance of success at the final hurdle.

I’d say most strategists would put all their energy into how to make more clean breaks and then chance their arm on getting past the fullback.

Lol.

I was joking.

But I don’t like having Beale as last line in defence.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Lol.

I was joking.

But I don’t like having Beale as last line in defence.

OK, fair enough. I wasn't sure but then started overthinking it!

It's not ideal, traditionally you can only have two weak defenders in the backline. Usually it's the 10 and a winger. If we have Foley, Banks and Beale all out there they would target that defensively as a whole, not specifically Beale I'd reckon. However I'm a bit sceptical about Banks' Beale-esque defensive stats from the Supe season, he didn't come across as a poor defender so I'm wondering how many of his 'misses' were due to overlap situations.

B

Bobby Sands

OK, fair enough. I wasn't sure but then started overthinking it!

It's not ideal, traditionally you can only have two weak defenders in the backline. Usually it's the 10 and a winger. If we have Foley, Banks and Beale all out there they would target that defensively as a whole, not specifically Beale I'd reckon. However I'm a bit sceptical about Banks' Beale-esque defensive stats from the Supe season, he didn't come across as a poor defender so I'm wondering how many of his 'misses' were due to overlap situations.

Obviously every team is trying to make as many clean breaks as possible.

Banks is a brick wall in comparison, even his try-saved on the weekend was pretty inspired.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The thing that always shits me about Beale's defending is that he has from time to time shown that he can actually defend. I always go back to that test in Dunedin where he did a great job shutting SBW down.

Then next time round he just doesn't do it. Back to windmilling around peoples heads.

Regardless, there is no question Banks is a better defender.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Obviously every team is trying to make as many clean breaks as possible.

Banks is a brick wall in comparison, even his try-saved on the weekend was pretty inspired.
I thought Banks did a decent job on the weekend but the plaudits he’s getting for a basic cover tackle are a bit far-fetched in my opinion. He tackled the smallest guy on the field who made no attempt to put any footwork on nor fend. If you can’t make that one what are you making?

B

Bobby Sands

I thought Banks did a decent job on the weekend but the plaudits he’s getting for a basic cover tackle are a bit far-fetched in my opinion. He tackled the smallest guy on the field who made no attempt to put any footwork on nor fend. If you can’t make that one what are you making?

Yes, KB (Kurtley Beale) played well off the bench mate.

You can only tackle what’s in front of you, it’s binary, you either stop the try or you concede it. He stopped it. Who knows how others would have handled it?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yes, KB (Kurtley Beale) played well off the bench mate.

You can only tackle what’s in front of you, it’s binary, you either stop the try or you concede it. He stopped it. Who knows how others would have handled it?
Well obviously you either do or don’t make the tackle but there are degrees of difficulty. I mean sure, if he tackled someone like Naiyarovoro 5 out to stop a try heap praise on him. If it’s a 75kg halfback running in a straight line not so much. It’s like talking up a guy for running in a try on an overlap vs a guy who had a few players to beat.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Banks (or Beale) defending at 15 is quite a different animal than either of them defending in the line

Beale is quite solid in cover from 15, but quite average defending at 10/12

Banks is quite solid in cover from 15, I have no idea how he would go defending at 14, but I think we may find out

B

Bobby Sands

Well obviously you either do or don’t make the tackle but there are degrees of difficulty. I mean sure, if he tackled someone like Naiyarovoro 5 out to stop a try heap praise on him. If it’s a 75kg halfback running in a straight line not so much. It’s like talking up a guy for running in a try on an overlap vs a guy who had a few players to beat.

Sure, but given it is binary & he succeeded you can’t exactly discount his effort or say he couldn’t stop Duane Vuermuelen on the fact that he actually completed the tackle.

Wait for him to miss a decent one on one and then we can pick this back up.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Sure, but given it is binary & he succeeded you can’t exactly discount his effort or say he couldn’t stop Duane Vuermuelen on the fact that he actually completed the tackle.

Wait for him to miss a decent one on one and then we can pick this back up.
I agree, I’m not trying to discount his effort nor bag his performance (I thought he generally went ok at 15), it’s just I saw him being lauded no end by some (not referring to you) for a pretty standard tackle and it was pretty over the top in my mind.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I agree, I’m not trying to discount his effort nor bag his performance (I thought he generally went ok at 15), it’s just I saw him being lauded no end by some (not referring to you) for a pretty standard tackle and it was pretty over the top in my mind.
Banks a great cover defender, mostly as he runs people down and puts on a good shot, but the one thing that he has in spades over Beale in defense is effort, Banks will never die wondering and will do anything and everything to stop the player, Beale has moments where he would rather go for a strip then hammer the guy..

Just my 2 cents.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Banks a great cover defender, mostly as he runs people down and puts on a good shot, but the one thing that he has in spades over Beale in defense is effort, Banks will never die wondering and will do anything and everything to stop the player, Beale has moments where he would rather go for a strip then hammer the guy..

Just my 2 cents.
Oh no doubt, last year he was far and away our best cover defender. He dropped off this year but he obviously has the ability, I have no doubt he’ll leave everything out their for the Wallabies. Just saying that wasn’t the best cover tackle he’s made and as he’s not as poor a defender as Beale (although Beale does have an ability to pull off the strip but there’s a time and place for that) we don’t need to heap praise on him for something you’d expect him to make.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
UTG, are you sure you're not condemning Banks through faint praise, while at the same time having to delve back to 2018 to put in a supporting argument for Beale's ability in cover defense? On form this year, there is no comparison.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
UTG, are you sure you're not condemning Banks through faint praise, while at the same time having to delve back to 2018 to put in a supporting argument for Beale's ability in cover defense? On form this year, there is no comparison.
No, I just said he’s not as bad as Beale. I don’t want our fullback trying strips rather than tackling in a one on one. On form this year, however, there is a comparison, their stats in defence weren’t too dissimilar. I think this is more a blip on Banks’ behalf which has dragged him down to Beale’s usual level.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Is it really 10 losses in 14 games? With a real risk of starting 2019 with 0-4?

That conversation about “anyone would be better than Cheika” followed by “careful what you wish for because, Graham.”

Gee wiz, I wonder.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

That conversation about “anyone would be better than Cheika” followed by “careful what you wish for because, Graham.”

Gee wiz, I wonder.

Did anybody wish for Graham? Not me.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)

Gee wiz, I wonder.

Never again I think I would immigrate.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Would work for me as an immediate fix, and if they raise the win/loss ratio to an acceptable level, then keep it going for another couple of years with options through to the 2023 RWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.