• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Maybe, but then you have Speight, Pulu, Korro, Naivalu and if I wanted someone old on the wing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as well. This is also leaving out that Hodge, Banks, DHP, Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) are all available as well, and are better then Davis.

Agreed. I would like to see Pulu in the backline, we need genuine pace out wide, which I don't think we had on the weekend.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Maybe, but then you have Speight, Pulu, Korro, Naivalu and if I wanted someone old on the wing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as well. This is also leaving out that Hodge, Banks, DHP, Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) are all available as well, and are better then Davis.

Whilst I don't think he's anywhere near test selection, to be fair Rod could probably walk faster than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at full tilt. The backline is already ponderous no reason to make it more so.

Not sure how many meat pies for Pulu but pretty sure it was fark all. Tackle % in the 60s so is a defensive liability. He absolutely doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the test team.

Rona, Newsome, Naivalu, CFS all had better stats than Speight & Naivalu couldn't even button down a starting spot and was outclassed by Campbell in every facet.

Having said that, any of the above however are better choices than Hodge or DHP. JOC (James O'Connor) is not a winger.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I agree it is odd to have two non-wingers on the wing, when we have genuine wingers (apart from Korobeite who wasn't available) like Pulu, Speight and Rona all of whom displayed pretty good form over the super season.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Rona is an interesting one. I had not even considered him.

That would be more of the same, playing a centre on the wing. He had a great year but he's not fast enough for a strike winger and not skilled enough for a dual fullback role.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I agree it is odd to have two non-wingers on the wing, when we have genuine wingers (apart from Korobeite who wasn't available) like Pulu, Speight and Rona all of whom displayed pretty good form over the super season.

Obviously Koroibete having to come home was unexpected as they'd just flown him all the way back over to SA. I'm guessing they decided it was an easier transition to play Hodge on the left wing than bring in someone new a couple of days out. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) flying over a few days before was a bit different as we are required to have 2 props and a hooker on the bench so they just had to literally pluck out who they thought was the best option.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That would be more of the same, playing a centre on the wing. He had a great year but he's not fast enough for a strike winger and not skilled enough for a dual fullback role.
Hes certainly faster than DHP and Hodge. I thought Rona was always better from wing than 13.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think Pulu certainly has Wallaby potential but injuries interrupted his season and just not enough time yet to prove himself. I think he would have benefited from being in the initial wallaby squad and camp, probably one to watch for next year as far as Wallaby contention.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think Pulu certainly has Wallaby potential but injuries interrupted his season and just not enough time yet to prove himself. I think he would have benefited from being in the initial wallaby squad and camp, probably one to watch for next year as far as Wallaby contention.
When he is 31? doubt it.

B

Bobby Sands

Pulu is much better than most wingers in Australia & certainly the ones selected on the weekend.

DHP is a fullback or nothing.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Whilst I don't think he's anywhere near test selection, to be fair Rod could probably walk faster than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at full tilt. The backline is already ponderous no reason to make it more so.

Not sure how many meat pies for Pulu but pretty sure it was fark all. Tackle % in the 60s so is a defensive liability. He absolutely doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the test team.

Rona, Newsome, Naivalu, CFS all had better stats than Speight & Naivalu couldn't even button down a starting spot and was outclassed by Campbell in every facet.

Having said that, any of the above however are better choices than Hodge or DHP. JOC (James O'Connor) is not a winger.

Mitchell is available lol

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Sydney Morning Hurled has O'Connor as a near certainty for the Argie bargie.

I must admit that I am all in favour of trying just about anything at this early stage of the year.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Just add to the list of people better then Davis.. Your proving my point, and Im pretty sure the person who put the stats up on Wingers early Speight was actually on top of the list for most stuff, and my choice be Korro/Beale/Banks.

Hookerbytrade

Stan Wickham (3)
I am interested to see where the second playmaker or the bench spark (Beale) fits into the equation. I strongly believe if you want Beale at fullback you need two strong defensive wingers to be able to float. Teams will target Beale for his defensive in-capabilities sure but what he brings in ingenuity and his simple "eyes up" footy outweighs this factor of his game.

Therefore I see it important to have Korobete and potentially DHP to hold those wing spots, may also be a long shot but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a fantastic defensive player and makes the right decisions when it counts, I don't think he can be counted out. I'd like to see the back three to start against the Argies this weekend Korobete, Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/ DHP !!

Status
Not open for further replies.