• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Yep, Pocock is not the player he was and shouldn't be on the park at the same time as Hooper. I'd rather see Dempsey out there instead.

That was always the risk of keeping him in cotton wool all year to protect him for the WC, he just hasn't had the game time to get in his groove.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The worry I have though fellas is that Cheika is going to pig-headedly just keep playing them together.

Ultimately, that's what the three person selection panel was instilled to stop from happening. But, how effective it is, we haven't really seen whether it is/isn't working.

B

Bobby Sands

Ultimately, that's what the three person selection panel was instilled to stop from happening. But, how effective it is, we haven't really seen whether it is/isn't working.

Wisdom of the crowd only works if each person has independent thought input, if you sit around and “brainstorm” together the process becomes group-think. The topic has been studied extensively.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Unfortunately, the three person panel doesn't have any better options to pick from

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I’m not convinced. At best it’s shuffling deck chairs.

Fair enough - Kerevi hasn’t nailed his spot with the main concern being around his ball security and lack of distribution.

TK was MOM and so he deserves credit for pushing his case.

So if the change comes, then fair enough. I can see the justification.

But he also demonstrated through the game he doesn’t look to his supports either. And it should be acknowledged there is a big difference between Uruguay and Fiji & Wales. Large parts of our attack still looked stilted.

Anyway - good luck to him if he gets the nod.

I was more impressed with the 10/12 nexus, TK did his job and made his tackles

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Bit of a hint in Wayne Smith's article today that Tupou's continuing poor ball handling is what is keeping him out of the 23

Georgina Robertson reported the other day:
reported on Saturday that monster Australian prop Taniela Tupou had picked up a concussion last Tuesday before the Wales clash and was observing return to play protocols.

A team spokesman said Tupou, ...passed the first test but was kept on light duties.

I don't think it was that big of a call having one of our most experienced props on the bench for a must win game either.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I also think we still have a hangover from the 90s and early 2000s where Wales/Ireland/Scotland were plucky underdogs rather than genuine global powers.

I'd wager most posters here (and fans in general) are of an age where we still expect to beat those sides every time, regardless of the XV we put on the field.

And maybe that's true even in a broader sense - we still think of ourselves as a rugby powerhouse, when actually we haven't really been one for 15 years, outside of a brief glimpse in 2015.
Fuck off... I still think the only team that can beat us is NZ.. and SA if there lucky.. like it should be.. not what my english mate says since like 2003.. we dont beat england.. but fuck them.. i still feel we should

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
TK ran nice lines against a lesser defence, its hard to reach much into that. I would have liked to see him pass a bit more though.

No TK runs nice lines against everyone.. and has for years... unders straightens ... yeah not much exciting but to say he does it just against lesser defences is rubbish.. he runs the same hard lines vs everyone.. Just not as success against better defenses... the guys also the best back defender we have.. out of everyone.. but that maybe not what we need with a team with no attacking spark..

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
No TK runs nice lines against everyone.. and has for years. unders straightens . yeah not much exciting but to say he does it just against lesser defences is rubbish.. he runs the same hard lines vs everyone.. Just not as success against better defenses. the guys also the best back defender we have.. out of everyone.. but that maybe not what we need with a team with no attacking spark..

Don't be so quick to jump on the defensive, i didn't say TK doesn't run nice lines against better defences.
Rather the measure of line breaks and tries which people were referring too, which came from his running lines, isn't the best measure given the quality of the defence. Theres only so much you can take from a game against the likes of Uruguay.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Don't be so quick to jump on the defensive, i didn't say TK doesn't run nice lines against better defences.
Rather the measure of line breaks and tries which people were referring too, which came from his running lines, isn't the best measure given the quality of the defence. Theres only so much you can take from a game against the likes of Uruguay.
Ive had a rough sunday.. everyone one of my guys lost in the UFC.. and Im from Canberra.. But simple but effective from TK.. We all talk about getting better offloads better passes more skill.. But he hits that line he hits it hard and pretty much every time.. and I think maybe its what we need... Just hard unders at pace from a big man who is a defensive rock..

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
It's just a shame no one's managed to get into Kerevi and Kuridrani's thought processes/instincts to LOOK FOR SUPPORT after they've made their various linebreaks. If those two suddenly remembered in the heat of battle to look around and developed a good short passing/offloading game.......fark

They've even got the skills, I just can't understand how it hasn't just been drilled into them with various exercises at training to catch-make break-LOOK AROUND.

Kerevi short ball, bust a couple of tackles, eyes up looking for Kuridrani on the short offload into space, Kuridrani with the break into space and direction change to link up with fast outside back.

Do that a few times, THEN go for the out the back option when the defence is bunching.

The backs only GET the ball, once the halfback has driven the forwards forward by passing off the deck to a flat forward runner ALREADY moving at pace, several times until momentum is gaining and the defence is losing structure.

IE exactly what we did against Argentina in that second half, what we did against NZ in Perth, in Dunedin second half last year, what we did against Wales this WC second half.......what the Tahs did in 2014 on their finals charge.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's the frustrating part. You look at the personnel out there and you think we could be slicing open opposition teams consistently, but the vision and game plan to deliver it seem to be lacking on the part of the players and coaches.

The way the Tahs played in their championship run was fantastic to watch, both in attack and defence. It was fast, confrontational and highly skilled.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
It's just basic rugby. I should put a good v bad compilation together to show the difference and send it to Cheika.

It shits me into foaming at the mouth rage watching us switch on for 10mins in a game and just punch it up off the ruck with precision and good good offloading then just put it through the hands for an easy try, and then just fall back into slow one-out off the ruck and out-the-back plays from sideline to sideline until we drop it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That's the frustrating part. You look at the personnel out there and you think we could be slicing open opposition teams consistently, but the vision and game plan to deliver it seem to be lacking on the part of the players and coaches.

The way the Tahs played in their championship run was fantastic to watch, both in attack and defence. It was fast, confrontational and highly skilled.
We do this. We just concede more points than we score. Hell we even put the ABs to the sword this year. Wales are supposed to have one of the best defenses in the world and they couldn't handle us.

It's the periods where we aren't dominating the collisions that we control really poorly. And it's impossible to dominate for an entire game in test rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.