• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobby Sands

I’ll have a go.

Prop: MikeAlla, Sio, Thor, Slips, Smith
Hooker: Faaingaa, BPA, Uelese
Locks: Rodda, Tui, Coleman, Arnold
Backrow: Dempsey, Naisarani, Pocock, Hooper, McCaffery
9: Genia, Gordon, Sorovi
10: Lilo, Cooper
Center: Petaia, Kerevi, To'omua, TK
Back three: DHP, Folau, Banks, Koriobete

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I’ll have a go.

I can't see Cheika leaving Foley out of the squad entirely. Based on the last two weeks he's third on the form charts, though.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’ll have a go.

Mostly I like it. I don’t think McCaffrey will make it though.

I am also not sure Phipps will miss, assuming he gets fit soon. And I am almost certain Foley will be there.

Of course, there is a lot of water to go under the bridge with form, fitness & injury but I do generally like your squad.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm far from a Foley apologist but statistically he was very good for the Tahs last season, those calling for CLL over him need to calm down a bit. He's had one good week and one pretty standard week, where he was completely outplayed by his opposite this season. Lets get another few weeks sample to make such an inference of preference over someone, who realistically has been a superior player going on a number of seasons in a row now.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think plenty of people will be pushing for Foley and Hooper to be dropped, regardless of form, purely because they associate much of the last three years of relative failure with their inclusion.

Fox Sports certainly seem like they are going to be running the Quade campaign.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'm far from a Foley apologist but statistically he was very good for the Tahs last season, those calling for CLL over him need to calm down a bit. He's had one good week and one pretty standard week, where he was completely outplayed by his opposite this season. Lets get another few weeks sample to make such an inference of preference over someone, who realistically has been a superior player going on a number of seasons in a row now.

All true. Really all of this is highly premature. At the most, players have played 2 games.

But it’s an Internet forum on rugby. It’s only a problem when people take it all too seriously and, even then, it is only really a problem for them.

B

Bobby Sands

I think plenty of people will be pushing for Foley and Hooper to be dropped, regardless of form, purely because they associate much of the last three years of relative failure with their inclusion.

Fox Sports certainly seem like they are going to be running the Quade campaign.

Correct.

I would take Tom Cusack and a co-operative backrow over Hooper.

Foley makes me feel ill tbh. Would take Hamish Stewart as he is now over him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I’ll have a go.

I think there is a quite a chance of taking another lock with Tui covering the backrow at need with the extra lock being possibly Arnold, Philip or Jones

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think there is a quite a chance of taking another lock with Tui covering the backrow at need with the extra lock being possibly Arnold, Philip or Jones

At the start of the 2018 test season Tui was the first choice 6. If he's still considered that for 2019 there will certainly be another lock chosen (and one less backrower).

If Tui isn't in the matchday 23 as a backrower then I think he will still be there as one of four locks who is also an option to play 6.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’ll have a go.

You've absolutely nailed the props and, probably, the locks.
  • I expect that TPN will still be in the picture, and Uelese will depend on his return from a serious injury.
  • Much as I love McCaffrey, he's a Fardy-lite and Cheika didn't even want a Fardy. I can see a world where Timu, Hanigan, or even ASY (Angus Scott-Young) takes his spot in your prediction.
  • 9 will be Genia and someone; Cheika didn't take a third scrumhalf to 2015, and I won't be shocked if that happens again.
  • Foley will be the 10. I don't believe Cheika will pick anyone else in a game he takes seriously.
  • I imagine Beale will be there as a centre, but not at the expense of anyone you've listed.
  • The back three will have Maddocks, and probably Naivalu as well. Form didn't get Banks in last time, it likely won't again.
I'd be excited by this selection, nice picks!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
So what’s the consensus on Maddocks? I’m not yet completely sold. Yes, he is a smart footballer and can sniff out a try but he certainly has no stand out attacking threat that most international wingers possess. I wouldn’t have him above Banks, DHP, or Sefa and Hodge is probably a better utility option.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
He's still young, and will hopefully improve this season. I wasn't blown away by him last year.

The same is true for him as Hanigan, IMO. We tend to judge these blokes when they are very young, and close the book on them. They're shit. Not up to it. See you later.

But of course they get older and mature, physically and mentally, and shock horror their game improves. Two things can be true - Hanigan wasn't up to it last year, but he might be this year.

Maddocks has the potential to be really good, and I hope he starts to reach that potential this year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Maddocks doesnt seem big/hard enough for test rugby yet. He seems to be a strike winger like sefa or koro, just not as good.

He has more of a kicking game than those two, but its not exceptional.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
^^^^
Agree with judging players when they’re young and then not changing opinions. A few years down the track he will likely fulfil DHP’s role very well, for this year’s WC I wouldn’t have him though.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
The annoying thing about Hanigan is I recall post the 2017 season he put on bulk, strength, and weight and 2018 was meant to be his year. And it was just the same thing. I really wish the guy well but I just don’t think he has it.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The same is true for him as Hanigan, IMO. We tend to judge these blokes when they are very young, and close the book on them. They're shit. Not up to it. See you later.

But of course they get older and mature, physically and mentally, and shock horror their game improves. Two things can be true - Hanigan wasn't up to it last year, but he might be this year.

reading between the lines:

Hanigan can repeatedly get picked for the wallabies until he (maybe) reaches some mythical potential that he may or may not reach.

Other players (in general where they don't play for one particular super rugby team) shouldn't be picked for the wallabies until they can repeatedly demonstrate their potential at super rugby - and probably even then can;t get picked because they would need to displace someone who is classed as an "incumbent" (who probably plays for one particular super rugby team).

Got it.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
reading between the lines:

Hanigan can repeatedly get picked for the wallabies until he (maybe) reaches some mythical potential that he may or may not reach.

Other players (in general where they don't play for one particular super rugby team) shouldn't be picked for the wallabies until they can repeatedly demonstrate their potential at super rugby - and probably even then can;t get picked because they would need to displace someone who is classed as an "incumbent" (who probably plays for one particular super rugby team).

Got it.
Hanigan had the fortune (or misfortune) of playing in a position we had almost 0 depth in when he made his debut. We actually have depth on the wing so we can wait on someone like Maddocks to develop.

More concerning for me is the amount of poor decisions Hanigan makes. He was penalised a number of times for unnecessary infringements in the Tahs first outing. He’s been in the Wallabies setup for 2 years now, he should be better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.