• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Since we're picking teams on 1 or 2 games of form, I'd go with this :

1 Fotuaika RED
2 Rangi REB
3 Alalaatoa BRU
4 Phillip REB
5 Rodda RED
6 Dempsey WAR
7 Samu BRU
8 Naisarani BRU
9 Genia REB
10 Lealifano BRU
11 Peni BRU
12 Beale WAR
13 Kuridrani BRU
14 Folau WAR
15 Maddocks REB
Bench
16 Fainga'a BRU
17 Kepu WAR
18 Tupou RED
19 Carter BRU
20 McCaffrey BRU
21 Sorovi RED
22 Cooper REB
23 Petaia RED

I'm not expecting the team for the RC to look anything like that of course, I'm just jumping on the bandwagon!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
1. JP Smith, RED
2 Faaingaa BRU
3 Alalaatoa BRU
4 Arnold, BRU
5 Rodda RED
6 Salakaia-Loto RED
7 Pocock BRU
8 Naisarani REB
9 Genia REB
10 Foley WAR
11 Maddocks REB
12 Kerevi (c) RED
13 Kuridrani BRU
14 Folau WAR
15 DHP REB
Bench
16 Rangi REB / Uelese REB / Latu WAR (one of those 3 and too hard to make a call for me)
17 Kepu WAR
18 Tupou RED
19 Coleman REB
20 Hooper WAR
21 Powell BRU
21 Beale WAR
23 Petaia RED

Dempsey, McCaffrey and Samu on early form would all be pushing for bench spot if go 6/2 instead of 5/3 bench I have assumed.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I do like Rangi at Super level but I’m wondering if merely throwing yourself into everything head first is enough at test level.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
lol for me Rangi in the mix as been fairly consistent....lineouts .and lack of clear other frontrunners...

Latu has disciplinary issues, Uelese had such great promise but after long injury run to suggest he is in the mix too early after long layoff....others we could talk about equally with pluses and minuses

Hooker has to be one of the most open positions both starting and bench. Who will stand up?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
No, he’s definitely in form and should make the squad, I’d still have FF (Folau Fainga'a) and BPA ahead of him though given they’re equally as talented and have some experience.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
No, he’s definitely in form and should make the squad, I’d still have FF (Folau Fainga'a) and BPA ahead of him though given they’re equally as talented and have some experience.

Surely at this stage the starting role is Fainga'a’s to lose, just depends who out of TPN, BPA or Ulese join him in the squad

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Surely at this stage the starting role is Fainga'a’s to lose, just depends who out of TPN, BPA or Ulese join him in the squad
Yes, I think he takes the mantle with Uelese’s injury. But can whoever is selected just spend the Wallaby Camp throwing balls at the cross bar? Man we struggle with throwing when really it should be quite a practicable skill.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I dunno. Fainga'a's throwing struggles at times too.

Whoever is nailing their throws will get the gig I'm guessing, because it has been a real issue.

I wouldn't count Latu out. Cheika is obviously willing to roll the dice with certain players.

Also, it may depend on how Taf & Ulese's bodies are holding up.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I’ll be disappointed if we have to pick a hooker based on their throwing, nailing the throw in should be expected not rewarded. Why don’t we just hand the throwing duties back to the winger and that’ll sort it, they’ve got nothing else to do.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Understand what you are saying UTG, but he reality is that all of our hooking options have had some degree of issue with their throwing.

I would still have Fainga'a in front, but if one of the options can nail that brief than he becomes first pick to me (out of the options above).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We can have the most precise lineout throwing hooker in the world playing for the Wallabies, but we’ll still lose most of our throws if the wider issues aren’t sorted........

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Here's my form squad for this week. Waratahs disadvantaged due to the bye:

1 Faulkner REB
2 Fainga'a BRU
3 Alalaatoa BRU
4 Phillip REB
5 Jones REB
6 McCaffrey BRU
7 Samu BRU
8 Naisarani REB
9 Genia REB
10 Lealifano BRU
11 Haylett-Petty REB
12 Kerevi RED
13 Kuridrani BRU
14 Folau WAR
15 Maddocks REB
Bench
16 Rangi REB
17 Slipper BRU
18 Talakai REB
19 Arnold BRU
20 Dempsey WAR
21 Sorovi RED
22 Cooper REB
23 English REB

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
We can have the most precise lineout throwing hooker in the world playing for the Wallabies, but we’ll still lose most of our throws if the wider issues aren’t sorted....
Yeah, accepted Slim - but the opposite is true too and the comments were specifically around the selection of the Hooker.

It is a bit bewildering that it is such a consistent problem across all of the contenders.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I dunno. Fainga'a's throwing struggles at times too.

Whoever is nailing their throws will get the gig I'm guessing, because it has been a real issue.

I wouldn't count Latu out. Cheika is obviously willing to roll the dice with certain players.

Also, it may depend on how Taf & Ulese's bodies are holding up.

Pretty sure that all of FF (Folau Fainga'a)'s throws were won by the Brumbies against the Canes. Only lost throw I recall was from JM-R when he overthrew on one occasion.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - and BPA has been very good at times too. TPN seemed to have fixed his issues, then struggled again last year. Apart from Latu they’ve all been good at times, but all had issues from time to time too and it’s not always just the line out jumpers/structure.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Here's my form squad for this week. Waratahs disadvantaged due to the bye:

1 Faulkner REB
2 Fainga'a BRU
3 Alalaatoa BRU
4 Phillip REB
5 Jones REB
6 McCaffrey BRU
7 Samu BRU
8 Naisarani REB
9 Genia REB
10 Lealifano BRU
11 Haylett-Petty REB
12 Kerevi RED
13 Kuridrani BRU
14 Folau WAR
15 Maddocks REB
Bench
16 Rangi REB
17 Slipper BRU
18 Talakai REB
19 Arnold BRU
20 Dempsey WAR
21 Sorovi RED
22 Cooper REB
23 English REB

Too many Brumbies KOB - honestly.

McCaffrey should only be considered at No 8 where he played, so he is competing with Naisarani who gets the nod. No 6 then should be a pick between Cottrell, who had a strong game against the Landers, Tui who was somewhat hot and cold against the Cru, and Samu who was very effective against the Hurricanes.

Pocock then comes into consideration at No 7. Apart from the YC which I think was deserved he was a real pest at the breakdown. Wright also played strongly for the Reds.

In my book, Cooper again had a better game than CLL. Neither of the players at 10 for the Reds should be considered.

Think English probably gets in at 13 too. TK was a lot quieter than the previous week.

Dempsey just can't be in the TOTW when he didn't even play. Plenty of candidates for the bench back row spot - Cottrell, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), McCaffrey, even Higgers had a good cameo off the bench.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't think it is an issue across all of the contenders though.... Latu definitely, but not all of the others.

I tend to agree Slim. Most of the turnover ball on the Brumbies' throw have been when Mann-Rea is the thrower. I think some posters equate lost ball at the Brumbies' lineout with FF (Folau Fainga'a) when his throwing this year has been at least consistently quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.