• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Prop: MikeAlla, Sio, Thor, Slips, JP Smith - yes
Hooker: Faaingaa, BPA, Uelese - almost replace BPA with Lata (if keeps discipline in check)
Locks: Rodda, Tui, Coleman, Arnold - yes
Backrow: Dempsey, Naisarani, Pocock, Hooper, McCaffery - like McCaffrey but not sure will make it -
9: Genia, Gordon, Sorovi - nah two halfbacks only - Genia and Gordon vs Sorovi
10: Lilo, Cooper - Foley more proven despite the critics so Foley and between Lilo and Cooper
Center: Petaia, Kerevi, To'omua, TK - add Beale as if not starting very good bench option for his versatility for me will be battle between To'omua and Hunt
Back three: DHP, Folau, Banks, Koriobete - not sure about banks - still work to do to prove wallaby ready...

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^
Latu won't be selected now.

$10 on half these blokes having an amazing season and being crocked come RWC.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hanigan had the fortune (or misfortune) of playing in a position we had almost 0 depth in when he made his debut. We actually have depth on the wing so we can wait on someone like Maddocks to develop.

More concerning for me is the amount of poor decisions Hanigan makes. He was penalised a number of times for unnecessary infringements in the Tahs first outing. He’s been in the Wallabies setup for 2 years now, he should be better than that.

Ah, I see my mistake - when absolutely no one at all is up to the task, just pick the waratah for that position.

Got it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
My recollection of when Hanigan was picked he was literally the last man standing. Everyone else was either injured or had gone OS. And, from memory, he did come of a decent super rugby season, although he had tailed off a bit towards the end.

Now, on the one hand that just further proved the folly of shunning Fardy, however at the time Hanigan was picked am pretty sure he was the only option.

I feel Cheika has done him a disservice by continuing to pick him. Personally I feel Hanigan has regressed. I don’t see that he has got more physical at all and his break down presence is terrible. As a young, up and coming backrower he needed to be sent back to have a off season and develop.

I hope the bloke comes good. At the end of the day, he is not the one picking the teams. But I personally don’t feel that test rugby is the place he should be at present.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
My recollection of when Hanigan was picked he was literally the last man standing. Everyone else was either injured or had gone OS. And, from memory, he did come of a decent super rugby season, although he had tailed off a bit towards the end.

Now, on the one hand that just further proved the folly of shunning Fardy, however at the time Hanigan was picked am pretty sure he was the only option.

I feel Cheika has done him a disservice by continuing to pick him. Personally I feel Hanigan has regressed. I don’t see that he has got more physical at all and his break down presence is terrible. As a young, up and coming backrower he needed to be sent back to have a off season and develop.

I hope the bloke comes good. At the end of the day, he is not the one picking the teams. But I personally don’t feel that test rugby is the place he should be at present.

I think Hanigan is doing fine. He looks muscled up to me, he seems to be enjoying his rugby and he's working hard in a light weight pack.

Is he international standard? I don't want to diss a guy so early in his career, but let's presume that some here are thinking "no". Then I would think he has given great service beyond his calling. I love having a back rower who can seriously challenge in the line out. Let's all take a deep breathe and see where it takes us.

[And yes I would have taken Fardy over Hanigan.]

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The annoying thing about Hanigan is I recall post the 2017 season he put on bulk, strength, and weight and 2018 was meant to be his year. And it was just the same thing. I really wish the guy well but I just don’t think he has it.

I think he won't ever be that driving, ball running backrower who will regularly gets you over the gain line.

He is a young lineout gun that gets through a lot of the base/dog work with a high workrate (like a young Fardy IMHO) in a world where getting over the gain line has become more important

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
reading between the lines:

Hanigan can repeatedly get picked for the wallabies until he (maybe) reaches some mythical potential that he may or may not reach.

I think his lineout skills got him there to try to balance out the Pooper's lack of lineout skills

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Prop: MikeAlla, Sio, Thor, Slips, JP Smith - yes
Hooker: Faaingaa, BPA, Uelese - almost replace BPA with Lata (if keeps discipline in check)
Locks: Rodda, Tui, Coleman, Arnold - yes
Backrow: Dempsey, Naisarani, Pocock, Hooper, McCaffery - like McCaffrey but not sure will make it -
9: Genia, Gordon, Sorovi - nah two halfbacks only - Genia and Gordon vs Sorovi
10: Lilo, Cooper - Foley more proven despite the critics so Foley and between Lilo and Cooper
Center: Petaia, Kerevi, To'omua, TK - add Beale as if not starting very good bench option for his versatility for me will be battle between To'omua and Hunt
Back three: DHP, Folau, Banks, Koriobete - not sure about banks - still work to do to prove wallaby ready.

I'd have Hodge in their for sure can play 10,11,12,13,14,15 plus a valuable kicker

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I have a sneaking suspicion that Hodge will only get gametime at wing or fullback this season. The less-good Romanians down in Melbourne are pretty stacked and a non-starter will struggle to get into the national side.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
reading between the lines:

Hanigan can repeatedly get picked for the wallabies until he (maybe) reaches some mythical potential that he may or may not reach.

Other players (in general where they don't play for one particular super rugby team) shouldn't be picked for the wallabies until they can repeatedly demonstrate their potential at super rugby - and probably even then can;t get picked because they would need to displace someone who is classed as an "incumbent" (who probably plays for one particular super rugby team).

Ah, rats! You got me. I wrote a post about young players improving with age, but you correctly saw through it.

It's all a big conspiracy. That's what's going on here. I can't believe you had the smarts to work out our devious plan! You truly are a rugby savant, an intellect I can't possibly hope to match.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Other players (in general where they don't play for one particular super rugby team) shouldn't be picked for the wallabies until they can repeatedly demonstrate their potential at super rugby - and probably even then can;t get picked because they would need to displace someone who is classed as an "incumbent" (who probably plays for one particular super rugby team).

Got it.

did just listen to the Gr&G podcast? Laurie Fisher said the same stuff re Tom Banks

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think there is a quite a chance of taking another lock with Tui covering the backrow at need with the extra lock being possibly Arnold, Philip or Jones

FP, I note that you seem to be suggesting two Arnolds in the squad. I think it was BH or Barbarian who recently also included both Arnolds in the list of players who would be under consideration.

For the record, Richie Arnold is now playing overseas and will not be available/eligible for the RWC 19.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ah, I see my mistake - when absolutely no one at all is up to the task, just pick the waratah for that position.

Got it.

Well, Cheika picked the Reds player as his first choice last season and he started most games there until his test season ended prematurely.

I think Cheika has shown his hand now that Salakaia-Loto and Dempsey are ahead of Hanigan. Combine that with Naisarani now being eligible there are realistic options available to stop picking Pocock and Hooper to both start. If all the players who are currently available are there when we get to test season, Hanigan won't be in the 23.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well, Cheika picked the Reds player as his first choice last season and he started most games there until his test season ended prematurely.

I think Cheika has shown his hand now that Salakaia-Loto and Dempsey are ahead of Hanigan. Combine that with Naisarani now being eligible there are realistic options available to stop picking Pocock and Hooper to both start. If all the players who are currently available are there when we get to test season, Hanigan won't be in the 23.
If Valetini has a good season he will probably eclipse Hanigan as well.

I don't think it's entirely true that Hanigan was the last option. We could have drafted in McCaffrey or Cottrel.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Like you TSR I can't see any change in Hanigan's physique or physicality at all over the two years he has had a free run at the Wallabies.

I disagree though with the often quoted statement that he was the last man standing when selected. I am confident that one or both of Cottrell and Philip were available at the time and both have more aggression (mongrel) in their little fingers than Hanigan has in the whole of his body. He was a Tah and had the inside running with our poor excuse for a national coach.

He should just disappear from the Wallaby scene asap. Otherwise he will always be remembered as the next coming of Dean Mumm.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Quite a few posters agreeing with Bobby Sands selection of Mike Ala'alatoa in the Wallabies' RWC squad. Let's be accurate in our selections please and in this case put Allan Ala'alatoa in the side. Mike might make the NZ squad, but is not in the running for a Wallaby spot.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If Valetini has a good season he will probably eclipse Hanigan as well.

I don't think it's entirely true that Hanigan was the last option. We could have drafted in McCaffrey or Cottrel.

Both good honest no nonsense options. Something the Wallabies have been without in the back row for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.