1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by Lindommer, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Derpus Peter Sullivan (51)

Well Isi is the form backrower at the moment. Are you advocating 6. Pocock 7. Hooper 8. Naisarani?
    Tomikin likes this.
  2. Slim 293 Jason Little (69)

I wouldn't be surprised to see that... Hooper isn't getting dropped... Pocock isn't getting dropped...

And we need the third option to be a lineout target/strong ball runner, so Naisarani ticks both of those boxes.

I've seen a bit of praise for Hanigan recently, but I thought the weekend again showed that he doesn't have the physicality for test rugby, and I'm not sure if LSL has the mobility required to be a test 6 (possibly more of a lock/backrow bench cover).
    Tomikin, The Pirate and Derpus like this.
  3. Derpus Peter Sullivan (51)

Yeah Hanigan was brillo against the Reds and poor once again against the Brumbies.
  4. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

Hanigan is not cut out for Test rugby. Firstly he attracts penalties like flies to shit. Secondly, he's not hard enough to be a blindside, and not big enough to be a lock.
  5. Slim 293 Jason Little (69)

Tomikin and TSR like this.
  6. Up the Guts Ken Catchpole (46)

USARugger and gel like this.
  7. Derpus Peter Sullivan (51)

Does seem like a good move though. New stadium, fair few people of Islander ethnicity in the west, etc.
  8. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

It's also our final test before the RWC, not the first test of the year as it was in 2011 where we debuted 4 players and fielded a fair few second/third stringers.
  9. Derpus Peter Sullivan (51)

Fair chance will happen again, though. Why risk injury to key players?
  10. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Otherwise our opening RWC game will be the first match any of our players have had in 5 weeks.

I reckon you have to run the risk of injury. First game back after 5 weeks off is rarely an ideal preparation.

Similar to the USA game in 2015, I reckon most of our first choice side get some minutes (in 2015, Moore, Kepu, Pocock, Hooper, Fardy, Folau were about the only first choice XV players that didn't play at all).
  11. RugbyReg Phil Waugh (73)

like that last test we played before the RWC 2015 when Henry Speight played 13., Greg Holmes and James Slipper played prop (Slipper as captain), Phipps was half back and the reserves included Sam Carter, Quade Cooper and both of Toby Smith and Taqele Naiyaravaro
    Derpus likes this.
  12. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Yeah, there will be some players from outside the squad for sure.

I was just suggesting that I think the chances of an ambush 2011 style are more remote.
  13. RugbyReg Phil Waugh (73)

Ok, Stats Time. I know you love it.

Going to look at a few randoms here. First the Lineout. Tough to find hooker lineout efficiency so just thought we would look at who is being used as a catcher, with a small side of who is stealing the most.

This is catches per game to give an average figure.

LO Work.JPG
    Brumbies (63 catches 5 games = 12.6):
    - nothing too surprising other than they barely use Valetini has an option. Something to consider from a Wallaby selection perspective.
    - no steals
    - the most lineout catches of the Aussie teams. What does that mean? Are teams kicking more against them? Are they drawing more penalties?

Rebels (32 in 4 = 8):
    - really sharing the load in the lineout. I like that. It shows a well coached team I reckon. One that has variations (and ones that seem to work).
    - some good attacking options in terms of steals.

Reds (45 in 4 = 11.25):
    - surprised by how much they are using LSL.
    - not much variety in targets.

Waratahs (40 in 4 = 10):
    - Holloway and Hanigan are the main targets. Simmons is calling I assume? He reads the lineout well and is probably playing the bluff a bit.
    - Holloway's work in defense is exceptional.
    - Not many other options other than the traditional, but Hanigan clearly a strong option. Three very good targets.

Attached Files:

dru and Braveheart81 like this.
  14. RugbyReg Phil Waugh (73)

Ok now, on the back of the Rebels' penalty woes on the weekend lets look at discipline.

So most penalties per game first:

ILL D.JPG

seems harsh to include a one gamer in there, but that was quite the effort by Ainsley.

Props obviously dominate the list which makes me question more the referee's reading of the scrum more than anything.

Congrats to DHP who's made it as the only back!

Now for the clean skins:

Dis.JPG

These guys haven't conceded a penalty. Kudos to the front rowers in particular who have escaped the refs' ire.

In fact any backrower or prop not giving away penalties is pretty bloody impressive
    Braveheart81 likes this.
  15. RugbyReg Phil Waugh (73)

Finally, I wanted to look at who was getting the turnovers.

But then I thought, what good is a turnover if you also concede a few. So I looked at the turnover differential per game (basically how many you got, less how many you gave up by how many games you played).

Here's the guys who are making a 'profit'

Good TO.JPG

Again, I really shouldn't include 1 gamers, but Samu's performance was outstanding (note that I am only including games a player starts in).

HJH is also outstanding and is yet to concede a turnover while snagging 7 himself.

As for the guys who are in turnover 'deficit' we have:
    Bad TO.JPG

Perhaps not a lot of surprises in the likes of Koro, Higgers, Kerevi and CFS.

Very concerning though are Izzy, Genia and Hunt (who surprised me).
    Ignoto, Silverado and Braveheart81 like this.
  16. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Hunt and Izzy are hugely concerning (particularly as a Tahs fan).

I think given the amount of playmaking Genia has been doing, his turnovers are more forgivable as you'd expect him to be closer to fly halves in turnovers than the other halfbacks. Clearly his play has been exceptional this season.

Great stats Reg!
    RugbyReg likes this.
  17. Derpus Peter Sullivan (51)

How many of Izzys were from the first two games? He was very loose against the Hurricanes. One pass into touch, consistently getting isolated, etc.

Samu is looking impressive.
  18. RugbyReg Phil Waugh (73)

all but 1!
    Derpus likes this.
  19. Adam84 Darby Loudon (17)

I don't really see it that way? Who of that 5 are the penalty magnets?
  20. KOB1987 Tony Shaw (54)

Form team as it stands at the moment. From now new players come in via the bench and players losing form go out via the bench, to negate the '1 game effect':

1 Johnson-Holmes WAR
    2 Faingaa BRU
    3 Alalaatoa BRU
    4 Phillip REB
    5 Jones REB
    6 McCaffrey BRU
    7 Samu BRU
    8 Naisarani REB
    9 Genia REB
    10 Cooper REB
    11 Rona WAR
    12 Kerevi RED