• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's not about skills, it is about process. FMD.

You're mixing up what he said.

He said goalkicking was about the process, not the result.

I think that's pretty clearly the case. Every goal kicker in the world tries to replicate what they do exactly each time.

His goal kicking has failed him this season so you would suggest that there is a problem with the process that needs to be identified and corrected.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My side at this time would be:

Sio, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Arnold, Rodda, Salakai-Loto, Pocock, Naisarani, Genia, Cooper, Maddocks, Kerevi, Kuridrani, Folau, DHP.

A combination of form and experience in correct positions.

Bench:

Paenga-Amosa, Slipper, Tupou, Coleman, Samu, Gordon, Foley, Rona.

Front row starting and bench almost pick themselves. Rangi in with a chance to replace BPA if his top form continues.

Three best locks in the Aussie conference with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) also there as additional cover.

Great backrow with two large ball carriers, world's best pilferer, and two lineout options.

Genia/Cooper just streets ahead of any others at 9/10. Gordon's form is good and offers another sniping option around the ruck area as well as one of the best support players in the game. Foley there entirely on his experience with the Wallabies but could well be replaced by Matt To'omua by the end of the year.

Kerevi's best spot is 12 where he can bend or break the line and offload to support players. He is also a more effective defender at 12 than at 13. Kuridrani is the best 13 in the country and is in good form despite the uninformed opinions being posted lately. Cooper having a choice of either K on either side of the ruck is a frightening prospect.

Maddocks is a very good footballer with a definite rugby brain. He has excellent vision and good pace. His defence is strong. Izzy is a lay down misere for the right wing or fullback, but I'd prefer him at wing with DHP at 15. Rona looks to be the best of the versatile outside backs with recent playing form, but could miss out to Hodge by the end of the year.

Form and injuries will play their part in the run up to the RC and RWC, but these are the best players in their best positions imo. Others who will come into consideration are the Smith twins, Rangi, Philip, Jones, Valetini, McCaffrey, To'omua, Meakes and Koroibete.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't think the Smith twins have a realistic chance, unless Kepu gets ditched from the 5th prop slot.

I thought Marika was really shit against the Lions when he came on. He simply refuses to go down with the ball in hand, preferring to offload it to no-one.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
D, I think Ruan Smith has already overtaken Kepu in the THP stakes. It will only take an injury or two to the current incumbents/reserves for either or both to come right into calculations.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
D, I think Ruan Smith has already overtaken Kepu in the THP stakes. It will only take an injury or two to the current incumbents/reserves for either or both to come right into calculations.
Kepu is in poor form, i think. But also, given his experience and history of good form for the Wallabies he would make the squad ahead of Smith, if he stays fit, i reckon.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
As it stands, I think all it takes is Slipper or Sio getting injured for JP to get a cap off the bench, and Ruan is just waiting for either AAA or Tupou to be ruled out to get the same.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think we're going to see too many smokies this year............

If Petaia can be fit in time for the RC, maybe...........

I'm willing to ease Valetini into test rugby due to his youth and history of injuries............. I think 2020 is the year for him and Petaia to really break out (maybe not the best phrase to use?).

If they keep up their current form I would like to see McCaffrey and Meakes in the squad this year........... neither of them have test experience but I feel they have the maturity and experience to make that step up.

I don't think we'll see the Smith twins unless there's some serious injuries - they're currently sitting behind 5-6 other more likely selections at this stage.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I agree with that Slim. I think Petaia would've been there if he wasn't injured but he's a massive question mark now and there's no use carrying him for the sake of it.

I don't expect either McCaffrey or Meakes to push for a Wallaby jersey (perhaps Meakes off the bench in a Nathan Grey role ala 99) but they seem terrific team men. Just the type of players you want as part of the squad - who wouldn't drop their bundle if not part of the test team and would train as hard as needed the whole time. They could be valuable squad members. Just look at that 99 squad and who wasn't part of the main team - Lathan, Strauss, Little, Crowley, Connors, Bowman, Williams.

The Smith's need to lift their game a lot to come into contention and i don't think they are on the same level as last year. They are outstanding team men and that would give them a shot ala the above. But realistically I think the standings are:

THP (1) Tupou (2) AAA (3) Kepu and then maybe Ruan Smith ahead of Talakai and Ainsley
LHP (2) Sio (2) Slipper (3) Faulkner and then JP Smith and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)

The return from injury of Robertson and Sa'aga (a stretch, he really needed a whole Super Rugby season).

So there's probably a chance for one of them to make it, perhaps JP most likely (as we should get the most game time) but it will depend on how many of each prop we take.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In terms of props I would only expect five like last time...........

Sio, Slipper, Kepu, AAA and Tupou.

Slipper and Kepu can and have both played on either side of the scrum in the last year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Slim. I would be interested in knowing exactly who the 4 or 5 props are in each category to push the Smiths to 5 or 6. I would have them in the top 4 as Reg has, but JP in front of Faulkner who seems to have a lot of issues holding the scrum at Super level, and Ruan in front of Keps. Kepu has been on the decline now over the whole of 2018 and 2019. I remember the derision aimed at me last year when I expressed an opinion that both Tupou and AAT had overtaken Kepu then, but now that is pretty much accepted by all and sundry, even some Tahs fans. He has deteriorated even further this year and is finding it harder to combat the younger LHs he is coming up against at scrum time while he is more and more a penalty magnet. His handling is also very iffy. Seems to drop the ball at least three or four times a game. All signs that he is over the hill and on the decline.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slim. I would be interested in knowing exactly who the 4 or 5 props are in each category to push the Smiths to 5 or 6.

The five I named above to start with............ Sio, Slipper, AAA, Kepu and Tupou.

I doubt he'll be ready in time but if Robertson is fit he could be there having been a permanent member of the squad the last couple of years.

Cheika also seems to like Faulker for some reason?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Smith brothers are dark horses around the park and can easily make or setup a linebreak. If they're not in our top four or five props then we've got ourselves some serious depth.

Are they in the top four or five when it comes to scrummaging? That is the most important requirement, the rest is great for sure.

(I do not have any opinion about their scrumming, by the way. I do have some doubts about Tupou, however).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is mobile enough for a 6. I think he is a lock. If we want lock/6 i'd pick Jones

I don't think Jones is mobile enough to be a 6 either, but they both meet the test to be an option as lock/6 bench option, as does Hanigan who does it every week (starting at 6 and finishing at lock) who is more the 6/lock

We will know more in 5 or 6 weeks of Super Rugby, at the moment we can have fun pontificating, but it is too early and it depends on the game plan being planned and what is the planned starting backrow.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, I wouldn't start either of them at 6 - I'd have both of them as lock/6 bench options but would currently favour LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).........

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Slim. I would be interested in knowing exactly who the 4 or 5 props are in each category to push the Smiths to 5 or 6. I would have them in the top 4 as Reg has, but JP in front of Faulkner who seems to have a lot of issues holding the scrum at Super level, and Ruan in front of Keps. Kepu has been on the decline now over the whole of 2018 and 2019. I remember the derision aimed at me last year when I expressed an opinion that both Tupou and AAT had overtaken Kepu then, but now that is pretty much accepted by all and sundry, even some Tahs fans. He has deteriorated even further this year and is finding it harder to combat the younger LHs he is coming up against at scrum time while he is more and more a penalty magnet. His handling is also very iffy. Seems to drop the ball at least three or four times a game. All signs that he is over the hill and on the decline.

Kepu has been "in decline" at this time of the year for the last five odd years. He gets better over the season. He is also playing too many minutes in each game at the moment, in long minutes he gets tired, then takes lazy options.

That is less of an issue at test level

Status
Not open for further replies.