• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Is Petaia a chance of making the end of Super season or is he going to miss the entirety of it?

Can't see him going to Japan if he doesn't get another game between now and then.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I still haven’t seen anything to suggest Quade is ahead of Foley. IMO it is Meakes and Genia doing the majority of the ‘playmaking’.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Is Petaia a chance of making the end of Super season or is he going to miss the entirety of it?

Can't see him going to Japan if he doesn't get another game between now and then.
A guick Google suggests:-
Return to competitive elite-level soccer and rugby is possible after surgically treated Lisfranc injuries. Return to training can take up to 24 weeks and return to playing up to 31 weeks, with bony injuries taking longer.
That would have him training in July/Aug and return to competition in early September. Hard to see it. Maybe an injury replacement part way through?

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
yeah unfortunately Lisfranc fractures can mean any amount of time on the sidelines, even retirement in extreme cases. I hope he is able to make a full recovery.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
D, I see my post was somewhat ambiguous. I meant after Foley's one good game last weekend. I was wanting to make the point that on the basis of 5 or 6 rounds in all, Quade was still in front of Foley this year.
I think form is irrelevant.

Foley will be 10 for the major games without a doubt irrespective of anything at all.

QC (Quade Cooper) and/or Lilo will get a fringe test playing with a team of guys who had previously heard each other's names mentioned in a conversation somewhere prior to the match - an environment that QC (Quade Cooper) just repeatedly fails in, while I think Lilo is the more mature player and can deal with better.

If it were me, I'd have Lilo as 10 ATM and he'd give great service.

But it's not me, so it'll be Foley. Pointless even discussing it, it's not going to be any other way.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Bit of a shake up with the form Aussie team this week, earlier in the season the form teams were the Rebels and Brumbies, but now it's the Tahs and Reds. I said last week that new players had to enter via the bench and players losing form would go out via the bench, but I've now realised that means you can't demote a player to the bench and bring in a new one at the same time. But I still didn't want to make wholesale changes based on one or two games so a bit of subjectivity had to come into play.

1 Johnson-Holmes WAR
2 Fainga'a BRU
3 Alalaatoa BRU
4 Phillip REB
5 Jones REB
6 McCaffrey BRU
7 Hooper WAR
8 Naisarani REB
9 Genia REB
10 Cooper REB
11 Rona WAR
12 Kerevi RED
13 English REB
14 Folau WAR
15 Maddocks REB
Bench
16 Paenga-Amosa RED
17 Hoopert RED
18 Kepu WAR
19 Holloway WAR
20 Dempsey WAR
21 McDermott RED
22 Foley WAR
23 Feauai-Sautia RED

Next 8 to make up the 31:
Fitzpatrick WAR
Talakai REB
Carter BRU
Samu BRU
Powell BRU
Lealifano BRU
Meakes REB
Hegarty RED

HMs to Arnold, Higginbotham and Naivalu, they're all on the radar.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not sure how Johnson-Holmes has been your LH prop every week? And Hoopert as the sub? Talakai next in line?

It's strange that the two dominant looseheads this year can't even get a look in.........

Alalaatoa hasn't played in three weeks............

Maddocks hasn't played a game at fullback..........

Are you picking random names out of a hat? Or is the team based on some kind of obscure stats criteria?

There's going to be some debate about in form players, but that team doesn't seem to reflect the current season.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I've said all along that it's based on stats and ignores the set piece etc. I don't think anyone would argue that HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) hasn't been playing well though, even at the set piece. It's not a team of the week, it's more a 'team of the season so far'. Who do you reckon the form LHP is?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've said all along that it's based on stats and ignores the set piece etc. I don't think anyone would argue that HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) hasn't been playing well though, even at the set piece. It's not a team of the week, it's more a 'team of the season so far'. Who do you reckon the form LHP is?

Based on their overall game and dominant scrummaging......... Slipper and Sio, easily.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I have also said all along that some subjectivity would come into the set piece roles at some stage so you've said your bit. So that would make an all Brumbies front row plus one on the bench. They have both been up there in the calcs BTW.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have also said all along that some subjectivity would come into the set piece roles at some stage so you've said your bit. So that would make an all Brumbies front row plus one on the bench. They have both been up there in the calcs BTW.

It's been their one consistent strength this year.........

I assume Sam Carter's name is in the above list because he's taken the most lineout wins this year, and I'd have him well below a number of better performing locks.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Rory is actually ahead of Carter in lineouts won and like you I would have him ahead of him in general. Carter started well and has been tapering off, I only left him there because he was exiting the 23. But I do think it's pertinent to have Arnold there in his place so I will actually make that change.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
OK so here is another take on it. Below is the form team based on the stats taking all subjectivity out of it, and over the season so far, no weighting towards recency:
1 Johnson-Holmes WAR
2 Fainga'a BRU
3 Alalaatoa BRU
4 Phillip REB
5 Jones REB
6 Dempsey WAR
7 Hooper WAR
8 Naisarani REB
9 Genia REB
10 Cooper REB
11 Rona WAR
12 Kerevi RED
13 Feauai-Sautia RED
14 Folau WAR
15 Maddocks REB
Bench
16 Paenga-Amosa RED
17 Hoopert RED
18 Kepu WAR
19 Holloway WAR
20 McCaffrey BRU
21 McDermott RED
22 Foley WAR
23 English REB
Next 8
Fitzpatrick WAR
Talakai REB
Carter BRU
Samu BRU
Sorovi RED
Lealifano BRU
Meakes REB
Hegarty RED

Below is the form team on the same basis but only including capped Wallabies (and excluding a few that just had a token game):
1 Slipper BRU
2 Fainga'a BRU
3 Alalaatoa BRU
4 Carter BRU
5 Arnold BRU
6 Samu BRU
7 Hooper WAR
8 Dempsey WAR
9 Genia REB
10 Cooper REB
11 Naivalu RED
12 Beale WAR
13 Kerevi RED
14 Folau WAR
15 Maddocks REB
Bench
16 Paenga-Amosa RED
17 Sio BRU
18 Kepu WAR
19 Rodda RED
20 Higginbotham RED
21 Powell BRU
22 Foley WAR
23 Koroibete REB
Next 8
Polota-Nau WAR
Tupou RED
Simmons WAR
Hanigan WAR
Gordon WAR
Lealifano BRU
Hodge REB
Kuridrani BRU

The notable omissions are Pocock, Phipps and Coleman, I think it's fair to say the final squad will be made up from these lists plus those 3 players. Anyone disagree?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't think Coleman should have a mortgage on a squad spot given his form last year. He needs to demonstrate form going forward otherwise we have plenty of other capped Wallabies who can start in the second row with actual form.

As things stand i would be looking at a second row of Rodda (one of the first names on the team sheet atm) and Arnold with a lock/6 to come off the bench in the form of Jones, Lukhan or Hanigan.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As things stand i would be looking at a second row of Rodda (one of the first names on the team sheet atm) and Arnold with a lock/6 to come off the bench in the form of Jones, Lukhan or Hanigan.

I nearly agree with all of that..........

For mine, Rodda and Arnold have been the two best performing locks the past couple of years..........

I would favour LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) on the bench as lock/backrow cover........ Jones another similar option, and Philip also playing very well.

But Hanigan to me is still not test rugby material.

Status
Not open for further replies.