• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Big call Barb to have Foley as a certain starter after last weekend's game where he did little other than put a couple of kicks on Izzy's chest.

After 6 rounds, Quade is still in front of Foley by a fair margin in my book. I am not so committed to TK at 13 on present form, but all things taken into consideration, I am with Derpus that, if picked today, it would be QC (Quade Cooper) at 10, Kerevi at 12 and TK/CFS/Rona/English at 13. Samu must almost have a mortgage on the 12 spot.
He expertly controlled the game and kept the crusaders pinned in their own half or 22 for the majority of the game. I don't think i've ever seen an Australian do that, and certainly not against a kiwi side as good as the Crusaders.

It was a great tactical performance and Foley's sort/medium kicking was essential to it's execution. His crossfield kicks were just icing.

He's been terrible lately, his kicking has probably cost us games and his form is still behind QC (Quade Cooper). But last match was a great performance from him.

Unfortunately i can't see Cheika implementing a strategy quite so well thought out.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
What if we start QC (Quade Cooper) over Foley?

Same thing. Start QC (Quade Cooper), Foley, Lilo, whoever (and at the moment I agree Quade is ahead), you still need the second playmaker/kicking option.

I like Kerevi's ball-handling and kicking for the Reds, I just don't think he's quite got those skills at an international level. Yet.

I think Hornet had it right above - play Beale on the blind wing and let him inject himself where appropriate.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
He's been terrible lately, his kicking has probably cost us games and his form is still behind QC (Quade Cooper). But last match was a great performance from him.

I'd suggest you listen to a couple of the last Rugby Ruckas podcasts were Morgan Turinuri specifically covers the Foley vs QC (Quade Cooper) debate.

But it boils down to two things;
1) QC (Quade Cooper)'s form appears better because he is playing behind a forward pack that is giving him front foot ball compared to Foley who has to deal with a pack who all try hard but don't do much.
2) QC (Quade Cooper) when on song offers and gives you more than Foley does when both are performing well. However, QC (Quade Cooper)'s bad games are worse than Foleys and by in large Foley gives you more of a consistent game.

Going into a WC, Chieka and co will probably go with the guy they know who has a better chance at performing at the higher level.

Quade will be part of the squad, but I feel he'll need to constantly perform every game this season to demonstrate that he could be counted on like they count on Foley.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Foley without a second playmaker is like a scrum without locks; you may end up there in an emergency, but god help you if it's actually your plan.

If you want a Kerevi-Kuridrani centre pairing, you need Quade at 10 or Hunt/Beale at fullback.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Foley without a second playmaker is like a scrum without locks; you may end up there in an emergency, but god help you if it's actually your plan.

If you want a Kerevi-Kuridrani centre pairing, you need Quade at 10 or Hunt/Beale at fullback.

Or Foley at 10 with Beale at fullback

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Honestly, the only uncapped player I see this year getting near the squad is Isa

I think there's every chance a third hooker will debut this year and possibly go to the RWC. Assuming Fainga'a is #1, then 2 and 3 are between TPN (I can't see it happening), BPA, Fitzpatrick and Rangi. I think 2 and 3 are the last two.

Similarly I think the 3rd halfback is far from confirmed. Genia will be one, and Gordan and Phipps MAY be 2 and 3 but i don't think McDermott will be too far off. He'd sit on the bench for the Uruguay and Georgia game but still a big chance I reckon.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Who else though? Meakes, McCaffrey - Maybe. Not many else who are uncapped and playing the house down.
Maybe changes in structure are enough but we definitely need some changes from what we have been doing in the last couple of years. Such a shame for Petaia to get injured. He certainly could have made a difference. The two you mention are a good call, also Holloway to be reconsidered maybe(at 8)?

TBF there are not a lot of options. Beale at 15, the two Ks in the centres and a more traditional back row should all help.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I like Kerevi's ball-handling and kicking for the Reds, I just don't think he's quite got those skills at an international level. Yet.
I’ve really admired how much work Kerevi has put into his game. A few years ago he was a bit of a flat track bully who could break tackles at will but would be liable to bomb tries by isolating himself, refusing to throw the pass etc. Then there was the defensive debacle against NZ in Sydney in 2017 and he basically copped the blame and was dropped (never to play again according to some). Yet he turned it around and made it back to the Wallabies later that season. Now he’s developed a kicking game, learnt when to hold/pass, and improved his defence.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I’ve really admired how much work Kerevi has put into his game. A few years ago he was a bit of a flat track bully who could break tackles at will but would be liable to bomb tries by isolating himself, refusing to throw the pass etc. Then there was the defensive debacle against NZ in Sydney in 2017 and he basically copped the blame and was dropped (never to play according to some). Yet he turned it around and made it back to the Wallabies later that season. Now he’s developed a kicking game, learnt when to hold/pass, and improved his defence.
Is he definitely leaving next year?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think there's every chance a third hooker will debut this year and possibly go to the RWC. Assuming Fainga'a is #1, then 2 and 3 are between TPN (I can't see it happening), BPA, Fitzpatrick and Rangi. I think 2 and 3 are the last two.

Similarly I think the 3rd halfback is far from confirmed. Genia will be one, and Gordan and Phipps MAY be 2 and 3 but i don't think McDermott will be too far off. He'd sit on the bench for the Uruguay and Georgia game but still a big chance I reckon.

For the RWC I think Powell is more likely than McDermott & I think Uelese (if fit) or TPN will be taken

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'll put a tenner on Uelese, with his 11 super rugby caps and three major injuries, missing the squad.

Reactions: TSR

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'd suggest you listen to a couple of the last Rugby Ruckas podcasts were Morgan Turinuri specifically covers the Foley vs QC (Quade Cooper) debate.

But it boils down to two things;
1) QC (Quade Cooper)'s form appears better because he is playing behind a forward pack that is giving him front foot ball compared to Foley who has to deal with a pack who all try hard but don't do much.
2) QC (Quade Cooper) when on song offers and gives you more than Foley does when both are performing well. However, QC (Quade Cooper)'s bad games are worse than Foleys and by in large Foley gives you more of a consistent game.

Going into a WC, Chieka and co will probably go with the guy they know who has a better chance at performing at the higher level.

Quade will be part of the squad, but I feel he'll need to constantly perform every game this season to demonstrate that he could be counted on like they count on Foley.

The Rebels pigs around the corner lets play flat crash ball is now a known- each side is building the highlight reel. It will be interesting to see whether they can continue to get that fast ball QC (Quade Cooper) needs as Super Rugby gets hard

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He expertly controlled the game and kept the crusaders pinned in their own half or 22 for the majority of the game. I don't think i've ever seen an Australian do that, and certainly not against a kiwi side as good as the Crusaders.

It was a great tactical performance and Foley's sort/medium kicking was essential to it's execution. His crossfield kicks were just icing.

Unfortunately i can't see Cheika implementing a strategy quite so well thought out.

D, I see my post was somewhat ambiguous. I meant after Foley's one good game last weekend. I was wanting to make the point that on the basis of 5 or 6 rounds in all, Quade was still in front of Foley this year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I think DHP can play that second playmaker role from fullback if required. He has a better boot on him than Beale, is a better defender than Beale, is better in the air than Beale, and more experienced in fullback play in Rugby than Hunt. I am satisfied with a backline of Genia, Quade, Maddocks, Kerevi, Kuridrani (or CFS, Rona, Hodge et al), Folau, DHP, but would prefer for Petaia to make a full recovery to take the 13 spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.