• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hooper clearly needs to be rested. Miller is an able enough replacement. Sane with Rodda and Isi.

Not as concerned by outside backs though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, so front rowers don't play as many minutes but their playing time will need to be equally managed due to the intensity of workload when on the field.

Using the same structure the Tahs probably need to manage their front rowers a bit better (albeit injury/suspension hasn't helped).

HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is playing damn well but probably won't fall under Wallaby conditions (and would benefit from playing as much as possible probably).

Kepu and Fainga'a are the ones most in need of a rest it would seem, with Fitzpatrick and Rangi both Wallaby contenders but probably not likely to be forced to rest.

Other than Fainga'a, the Brumbies have rotated their props well although, again, injury has played a part.

Props.JPG

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You have to wonder how To'omua is going to work his way into the team with max possible game time of two matches, neither of which he should start in. Not to mention 4 of our 5 current centre options (if you include Meakes) are in good form.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Interestingly quiet on this thread after the weekend.

I thought Foley, Beale, Hooper and Kepu were all outstanding in the Waratahs game. But I suppose some would just see that as a 'dead cat bounce' performance which should count for nothing when the Wallabies are picked.

After all, it was only against the Crusaders.

But seriously, it's the first sign that the Waratahs and their Wallaby contingent are starting to hit their straps.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Three observations from the Reds/Brumbies:

James Slipper is looking better every week. Get him to Tokyo.

Folau Fainga'a is increasing his margin over the other hookers.

Samu Kerevi is in beast mode, and it will be tough to keep him out of the starting XV.
12. Kerevi
13. TK

It's a no-brainer.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I reckon Kerevi has created more tries than Beale thus far.

What if we start QC (Quade Cooper) over Foley?

QC (Quade Cooper) does allow two big centres, especially if they're hitting the line at pace, because you know he'll hit one of them with a flat ball. The Wallabies can't go into the tournament with that as the only option though, it's too easy for a good team to defend. Beale or To'omua have to be in the 23 in case a change of game plan is required. I actually like the option of Beale at a blind side wing again, like in 2015. That worked mostly really well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If you do that, I think you'd need Beale on a wing or at FB. I think we're just better with a second option to take the heat off Foley.

Big call Barb to have Foley as a certain starter after last weekend's game where he did little other than put a couple of kicks on Izzy's chest.

After 6 rounds, Quade is still in front of Foley by a fair margin in my book. I am not so committed to TK at 13 on present form, but all things taken into consideration, I am with Derpus that, if picked today, it would be QC (Quade Cooper) at 10, Kerevi at 12 and TK/CFS/Rona/English at 13. Samu must almost have a mortgage on the 12 spot.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Samu must almost have a mortgage on the 12 spot.

I really think this is unlikely unless we pick someone like Beale at fullback or wing to act as first receiver at times.

I don't think Kerevi can fill that first receiver role well enough and there's no track record that Cooper really doesn't need a second playmaker at test level. All his best test rugby has come with a second playmaker at 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.