• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting. Phillips rumoured to be going to France, but his contract covered 2021. I guess it'll depend on whether the Rebels can prove they can honour the contract. However, technically he is signed for the future therefore he goes back into my squad.

Perhaps even a starter with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)? Blyth on Bench?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If we get to play a test this year - based on current eligibility this is my squad. (34 in 2019)

With the recent changes at lock, it was tempting to let Phillips play even though he was leaving, however I resisted this. However I did include (painfully) Simmons who is around next year, as in Roddas absence, now Hockings, there is no clear lineout leader, but predominately I think in a group of 4, Simmons would be of great value in the environment from a learning perspective, and equal value on the field as Swain, or Neville (who is currently not signed for next year.)

1. Sio 2. Fainga'a 3. Ala'alatoa
4. Simmons 5.LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Wilson 8. Naisarani 7. Hoops
9. Powell 10. To'omua 11. Koroibete 12. JOC (James O'Connor) 13. TK 14. DHP 15. Banks
16. Uelese 17. Slipper 18. Thor 19. Blyth 20. Valetini 21. Samu 22. Mcdermott 23. Hodge

24. Mafi 25. Bell 26. Swain 27. Wright 28. Gordon 29. Lolosio 30. Simone 31. Petaia 32. Campbell 33. Daugunu 34?

Note 1. I put Samu over Wright as I think Hoops will be an 80min player, and Samu IMO would be more suitable to an impact role, both physically and in terms of experience.

Note 2. I'd happily start Valetini and Blyth, but I am concerned about the lineout.

Note 3. White is still in England so not sure what's happening there.

Note 4. No idea how Petais injury is progressing, would have him over Hodge.

I just overheard Nic White's father in law in the local cafe here in Mudgee telling the owner that Nic will be returning later in the year to play in the tests. It's probably not a surprise, just confirmation.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Screenshot_20200608-223952.png

Found this online (probably earlier than it was meant to be). Looks pretty schmick but not sure why Asics have persisted with the "stubby cock" collar design from last season.

2018 collar design was a lot more fan friendly.

Home Jersey just looks like the RWC one without the RWC logo.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
I just restarted my Kayo subscription now that Super rugby is on its way back. Having a skim through, I see they’ve got a 3 game package of recent Aus-Eng Tests - the 2016, 2017, and 2018 Twickenham matches. My god we played absolutely headless rugby. Plenty of exciting moments but absolutely zero composure. We all know this of course but after not watching any rugby for awhile our huge flaws are even more obvious. Bring on Dave Rennie.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
MOC unloads on Cheika.........

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...med-to-fail-at-world-cup-20200616-p55329.html

The meaty part........

At the selection table throughout 2019, there was debate about the Wallabies’ best side. Yet despite what O’Connor and Johnson thought, Cheika ruled with an iron fist and mostly got his way, particularly at the World Cup with a few obvious coach's calls.

“I certainly sensed that he would rather have flown solo on selections,” O’Connor said. “A lot of coaches are that way and they like to take responsibility. He more or less got what he wanted.

“He was very loyal to players that delivered in the past in Super 15 and the [2015] World Cup. He wanted to take responsibility for the selections, so it was a bit awkward.”

In a recent podcast, Kurtley Beale said he felt Australia were "really hindered" by the constant chopping and changing of teams throughout 2019 and at the World Cup.

Cheika said it would create healthy competition but O’Connor knew it meant combinations would be raw at rugby’s showpiece tournament. However, O’Connor put the heat on Australia's senior players, saying there was a lack of leadership on speaking up.

“Kurtley is right, you build strong combinations and you’ve got to stick with them in my opinion … but the players have got to take some responsibility too with Michael Cheika,” O’Connor said. “They should have voiced those concerns to the coach.

“It was brought up quietly [to me] by a few players that the high-risk strategy [wasn’t working] but they weren’t strong enough to go to the coach and say 'hey listen, we disagree'. Somebody needed to stand up. We had some reasonably strong personalities but we didn’t have a strong enough group. They didn’t challenge Michael and the style of footy they were asked to play. There were players in the team that weren’t sold on it.

“It was one of the failings from that campaign; players who clearly weren’t sold on the style of play either didn’t voice their concern or were afraid of ramifications.”
O’Connor told the players he was a selector and had no say on strategy. Watching training behind closed doors, he was flabbergasted.

“I’ve never ever seen as much dropped ball from a national team. That was disturbing,” he said. “If you’re going to drop it training, you’re going to drop it in a game - and it [happened].

“Situations where you’ve got Sekope Kepu trying to tip on balls in midfield like he’s Mark Ella, front-rowers playing like centres when they should be hitting the ball up … you train the way you play.”

O’Connor eventually asked Cheika about the supposed 'secret' game plan he had up his sleeve.

“When you look back on it: what was it?” O’Connor said. “That new attacking style he was going to bring to the Wallabies; it was so secretive and he had to play players out of Super commitments and fly them to Brisbane and educate them. I don’t know.
It was almost like a scam.

“I always thought with me he was holding back. I always asked what the new style of play was and he told me. I thought there has got to be more than that. I always thought he had something in reserve and he was being very cagey. That’s fine. But he didn’t. It was always going to end in tears.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wonder if Rodda will get a new RA deal in time for Wallaby games (though how he would train idk).

If not, Blyth has rapidly gone from a smokey for a final squad spot, to almost a guaranteed starter (if Hockings & Phillips go abroad and Rodda isn't contracted)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
“I’ve never ever seen as much dropped ball from a national team. That was disturbing,” he said. “If you’re going to drop it training, you’re going to drop it in a game - and it [happened].

I remember sitting at the Test v Scotland 3 years ago today at Allianz with a few other of the GAGR faithful (Reg, BaaBaa and Gagger from memory) and watching the warm-ups and making this same observation. Scotland ran a slick, accurate warm-up; few errors. The Wallabies were loose, throwing passes behind / in front / over each other; aimless kicks etc.........
It did not end well that day.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Wonder if Rodda will get a new RA deal in time for Wallaby games

If not, Blyth has rapidly gone from a smokey for a final squad spot, to almost a guaranteed starter (if Hockings & Phillips go abroad and Rodda isn't contracted)

Really not sold on Blyth. There are plenty of players I would be putting ahead of him for the Wallabies.

Needs another 2 years of consistent Super Rugby before he gets the nod.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I remember sitting at the Test v Scotland 3 years ago today at Allianz with a few other of the GAGR faithful (Reg, BaaBaa and Gagger from memory) and watching the warm-ups and making this same observation. Scotland ran a slick, accurate warm-up; few errors. The Wallabies were loose, throwing passes behind / in front / over each other; aimless kicks etc...
It did not end well that day.

The result of the game was terrible too...

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Really not sold on Blyth. There are plenty of players I would be putting ahead of him for the Wallabies.

Needs another 2 years of consistent Super Rugby before he gets the nod.

Happy to hear who you think.

Phillips - If going to Pau, wouldn't bother picking him
Hockings - Gone
Jones - Gone
Rodda - Not eligible
Neville - Had ankle surgery but was doing very well and heard a rumour he is around next year. Age counts against him (31)
Simmons - Should be reconsidered due to experience and is around next year. Age counts against him (31)
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) - guaranteed.
Swain - Not as good as Blyth but has potential.
Enever - MAY be as good but not the potential of Blyth
Staniforth - Not as good & not the potential of Blyth
RHP - Not as good & not the potential of Blyth
Holloway - Not as good & not the potential of Blyth
Hosea - Nope
Mccauley - Nope
Haangana - Nope

So for me at this stage our best 4 locks that are worth picking would be:
Blyth, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Simmons, Neville.

*I'd pick Phillips if he is staying