• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'd probably have a rule that the coach can choose 4 overseas based players in a squad, but only 2 can be selected in the game day 23.

I’d take McMahon, Rodda, Arnold, Kerevi.

I think to be released by overseas clubs during the test window they have to actually be selected to play don't they? I don't mind a cap of 4 but hopefully like the 'Giteau' Law the coach will only use it if deemed essential - e.g. I'd hate to see Harrison and/or Lolesio not blooded so Bernard can sit on the bench, even though it could be a better option for the Bledisloes this year.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I'd certainly be picking him in front of Hodge/ DHP. Daugunu seems to be reliable and has serious attacking flair. Since Izzy has left, we have lacked the ability to score tries.
Daugunu/ Banks are certainly more likely to generate points over Hodge/ DHP.

Agree on Hodge/DHP. Id go Wright or Kellaway over Daugunu bigger bodies with more versatility. Both still with that x factor element. Agree on Maddocks covers more than just fullback and if he can maintain his form from the weekend over the course of the season will demand selection. Id like to see Lolesio on the bench also.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I have no idea of the machinations of making this happen, but I'd love to see a series between Australia A and the NZ Maori, or a Pacific Islands team of some description, or even a Baabaas team.

If the only out-and-out Test matches we play this year are against the ABs, it's probably too high stakes to be blooding the amazing batch of youngsters apart from the outstanding few.

But if you rolled out Aus A we could see how guys like Bell, Blyth, Swinton, McReight, Paisami, Harrison et al get on against higher standard opposition.

100%, shapes as a great opportunity to get Australia A going again. Wouldn't mind seeing some sort of selection test match as well, like a possibles vs probables or even a young vs old. With all that young talent coming through it'd be a great way to promote the new generation. May actually struggle to fill the old team though, the way the super sides are going.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think to be released by overseas clubs during the test window they have to actually be selected to play don't they? I don't mind a cap of 4 but hopefully like the 'Giteau' Law the coach will only use it if deemed essential - e.g. I'd hate to see Harrison and/or Lolesio not blooded so Bernard can sit on the bench, even though it could be a better option for the Bledisloes this year.

Harrison and Lolesio are both better than Foley at this point, IMO. Foley's confidence was absolutely shattered. He gets dropped leading into the WC (rightly so), on the back of a pretty bad Super Rugby season, and then gets thrown into a clutch game cold and has a shocker.

Anyway, Foley can already be selected.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
No way Rennie would have any interest at all in Foley.

JOC (James O'Connor), Lolesio and To'omua would all be in front of him.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Harrison and Lolesio are both better than Foley at this point, IMO. Foley's confidence was absolutely shattered. He gets dropped leading into the WC (rightly so), on the back of a pretty bad Super Rugby season, and then gets thrown into a clutch game cold and has a shocker.

Anyway, Foley can already be selected.
It was an example that came to mind using an experienced player v uncapped options, no need to drill down on the technicalities of it!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/07/07/super-rugby-au-philip-france

What kind of logic is he using here? Ugh buddy if you didn't leave you'd be a certain starter or bench player this year.

Sounds like he's trying to play it like Nic White, which seems fine to me. Play tests this year, play for Pau next year but sign a Super Rugby deal for '22 and be available for tests next year.

If it allows him to earn more cash and still be available then that seems good to me.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Sounds like he's trying to play it like Nic White, which seems fine to me. Play tests this year, play for Pau next year but sign a Super Rugby deal for '22 and be available for tests next year.

If it allows him to earn more cash and still be available then that seems good to me.
That infers that his motive is money, not playing for the Wallabies. Which is contrary to what is inferred in the article.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That infers that his motive is money, not playing for the Wallabies. Which is contrary to what is inferred in the article.
I don't think they are mutually exclusive motivations. The whole point of a profession is to make money.

If you are banking no players forgoing money for the 'honour' of playing for the Wallabies - i have some bad news for you.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Thoughts on 14? Petaia if fit is my choice (although, I understand the argument from some Reds supporters who would rather see him have this whole year off) but beyond him you have some exciting yet uncapped players in Daugunu, Wright and Kellaway. There’s also always the conservative choice of DHP but I’d prefer not having a fullback play wing.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't think they are mutually exclusive motivations. The whole point of a profession is to make money.

If you are banking no players forgoing money for the 'honour' of playing for the Wallabies - i have some bad news for you.
I don’t disagree, and I don’t have any issues with what he’s doing, it’s just a weird way to try to get picked for the Wallabies, as the article is portraying him to do.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Thoughts on 14? Petaia if fit is my choice (although, I understand the argument from some Reds supporters who would rather see him have this whole year off) but beyond him you have some exciting yet uncapped players in Daugunu, Wright and Kellaway. There’s also always the conservative choice of DHP but I’d prefer not having a fullback play wing.
Agreed, i want pace on the wings. DHP is 15 or naught.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Petaia is supposed to be back in 3-4 weeks, so he should have time to prove he is recovered. I have no probs with him being at 14 initially and leaving TK at 13. To me that is probably better then picking one of them at 13 and a lessor winger - although I feel Daugunu, Wright and/or Kellaway all have potential.

If the are going to pick 3 OS based players I wouldn’t mind if they picked 3 locks as that is currently our biggest weakness IMO.