• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
And before anyone asks, Maddocks is tackling at 79% success, Wright at 70%.

For interest sakes, DHP is 78% while Daugunu is 90%
DHP.png
FD.png

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
rugbypass stats have Wright at 83% and Maddocks at 77% .. thats the thing with statistics.

Wright plays as a second fullback for Brumbies with Banks normally, while Kata stays home on his wing.

View attachment 11626View attachment 11627
Yes, stats can be manipulated to suit an argument. The ones I was looking at I think included the pre-Covid games, these ones look less comprehensive. At the end of the day we can argue black and blue who is the better option, the thing we don’t see is how they perform in training camp. That appears to have been Cheika’s issue with Banks, he didn’t cut it in his high intensity camps which were notoriously brutal. That doesn’t mean it was the right approach, in fact results suggest it wasn’t. I hope they are all included initially, and if we bring home the Bledisloe I don’t really care who is picked!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Banks is not a winger. We’ve tried him there before, he struggles in defence.
So do most actual wingers. Name one who can attack and defend above average. I think that’s why most test teams have 2 fullbacks, defence in test matches is about territory, not tackling. Hence players with a strategic kicking game.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This begs the question - for those who know a lot more about Dave Rennie than me, is he one that plays a conservative game, or does he roll the dice and play for the 50/50’s? Therein may lie the answer.

Eddie rolls the dice but it went pear in the RWC final. Less pear the first time around.
I’m not entirely sure what Cheika did. Tried to find a balance which didn’t work out either.
Jake White definitely in the former camp.
Rod Macqueen definitely the latter and it worked for the amount of time that was necessary.
Erasmus the former, which has also worked out.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Two proper wingers it is then. One of DHP, Banks and Maddocks will be 15, one will be #23, the other will be trying again next year.

100% two proper wingers, proper positional play for wingers in both defence and attack has been underrated by the wallabies for too long.

As far as fullback goes, I feel Banks is the leading contender from the season as a whole and he'd be my pick to start, but if he doesn't start I'm not sure I'd have him in the 23 - DHP and Maddocks both offer more coverage from the bench. Depending on the split Hodge could possibly take that bench spot too, but he'll need to show a bit more on the field for that.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Put Koroibete & Daugunu on. Maddocks starting at 15 with DHP on bench. If any of the back 3 go down in the first minute you have a very capable replacement for 78 minutes.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd be looking at something like.........

11. Koroibete
14. ??? - DHP, Wright, Kellaway, Daugunu, Muirhead (probably not, but on this year's form.........)
15. Banks or DHP

23. Whoever misses out from above.

Personally, I don't rate Maddocks.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I'd be looking at something like...

11. Koroibete
14. ??? - DHP, Wright, Kellaway, Daugunu, Muirhead (probably not, but on this year's form...)
15. Banks or DHP

I also didn’t rate Maddocks but he was really good for the Tahs against the Reds and Force. If he plays out the rest of the competition in that form I’m happy for him to be considered.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Having a fullback that can kick long and accurate would be a refreshing change. I don't think DHP's kicking is particularly great. Banks has a good boot.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'd be looking at something like...

11. Koroibete
14. ??? - DHP, Wright, Kellaway, Daugunu, Muirhead (probably not, but on this year's form...)
15. Banks or DHP

Muirhead doesn’t seem to get many mentions - and I guess he’s seemed behind Wright & Kata, but I thought he was outstanding on the weekend. Probably the best winger - even given Ralston’s double.