• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

B

Bobby Sands

Giving Hooper that massive contract all those years ago was so infuriating because you knew Dave would never get to play 7, you knew that we would need a dysmorphic back row just to cater for Hoops at 7.

To think that his contract would also stymie the next generation as well is quite frankly the snake eating its own tail. No one has a mortgage on position, or at least they shouldn’t. I suppose the best argument will just be Wright dishing him up tomorrow so let’s see what happens shall we.

So many players have been picked over the recent years who were not deserving of the Wallabies, Hoops hasn’t been one of them, but a big broom needs to go through the place. I firmly hope he is not captain, because he’s atrocious and we need someone to start creating a new winning culture. He sat in too many pressers while Cheika complained and it’s not what we want.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Giving Hooper that massive contract all those years ago was so infuriating because you knew Dave would never get to play 7, you knew that we would need a dysmorphic back row just to cater for Hoops at 7. I firmly hope he is not captain, because he’s atrocious and we need someone to start creating a new winning culture. He sat in too many pressers while Cheika complained and it’s not what we want.

I doubt that Rennie will be influenced by either history or by pay packets. Why would he? I hope he picks the best possible captain for the long haul. Who might that be?

As for Hooper sitting in pressers while Chubby complained, what should he have done?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Personally, I think Wright is very close to Hooper right now and offers a better jumping option which allows a better balance in the backrow.

I may be slightly bias as a Tahs fan, but Hooper's best form is clearly superior to Wright's best form this season. He's single handedly kept the Tahs in games, pilfering, running, tackling.

And picking Wright ahead of him at 7 because 'offers a better jumping option' is capital-m Madness.

It goes to Dan McKeller's point about craving the next thing, the shiny new player instead of the one that has delivered at Test level time and time and time again.

Don't get me wrong, Wright is a good prospect. Good leader, deserves some time around the squad this year and maybe a debut off the bench. But starting 7? Against the All Blacks? No thanks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I firmly hope he is not captain.

I still think Hooper is the most obvious captain because firstly he's the incumbent captain so naming him captain for the first test of the year is a very uncontroversial decision and he's also arguably got the least threat to his starting position (noting that he still has stiff competition from Wright).

Ala'alatoa is under imminent threat from Tupou for the starting 3 jersey, DHP is probably the underdog to be picked in the starting XV this year with Banks seemingly ahead of him.

It would seem unbelievably unlikely that Wright will be named test captain after two tests with huge competition to make the starting XV.

Is there anyone else that is at all likely? James Slipper? He's again got competition from Sio and doesn't seem hugely likely to me.

Matt To'omua? Plenty of competition for him to consistently be in our starting XV although it seems likely at this stage. I doubt he'll be named captain though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I may be slightly bias as a Tahs fan, but Hooper's best form is clearly superior to Wright's best form this season. He's single handedly kept the Tahs in games, pilfering, running, tackling.

And picking Wright ahead of him at 7 because 'offers a better jumping option' is capital-m Madness.

It goes to Dan McKeller's point about craving the next thing, the shiny new player instead of the one that has delivered at Test level time and time and time again.

Don't get me wrong, Wright is a good prospect. Good leader, deserves some time around the squad this year and maybe a debut off the bench. But starting 7? Against the All Blacks? No thanks.

BLOCKED!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I still think Hooper is the most obvious captain because firstly he's the incumbent captain so naming him captain for the first test of the year is a very uncontroversial decision and he's also arguably got the least threat to his starting position (noting that he still has stiff competition from Wright).

Ala'alatoa is under imminent threat from Tupou for the starting 3 jersey, DHP is probably the underdog to be picked in the starting XV this year with Banks seemingly ahead of him.

It would seem unbelievably unlikely that Wright will be named test captain after two tests with huge competition to make the starting XV.

Is there anyone else that is at all likely? James Slipper? He's again got competition from Sio and doesn't seem hugely likely to me.

Matt To'omua? Plenty of competition for him to consistently be in our starting XV although it seems likely at this stage. I doubt he'll be named captain though.

Maybe the sensible option is not to pick a captain for the season, just one game by game.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

I don’t dispute your view on Hooper at all Barb - but I think you are under selling Wright here. To be honest I was non-plussed with Wright myself before this year. I thought he was a decent enough player but I was very surprised when he made the Wallaby squad last year. It was only this year I have noticed the detail in his work and the level of involvement. I believe he matches Hooper for work-rate - albeit he is a different type of player. Also, I know he is young, but he is not really the ‘shiny new thing’ nor a rookie at super level. He is a bloke who has built his game to the level required over a couple of years and now is a very polished, adaptable performer. If I recall correctly he is more experienced then Hooper was when he debuted and that went pretty well.

I agree Hooper is the more likely selection, but I’d personally have no issue at all with Wright facing the All Blacks. He’s been one of the very best on the field every game he’s played this year so I don’t see why you would suggest he isn’t up to it.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think it will be McReight that unseats Hooper in a couple of years. Wright is a terrific player but he’s not been any better than Hooper.

B

Bobby Sands

I doubt that Rennie will be influenced by either history or by pay packets. Why would he? I hope he picks the best possible captain for the long haul. Who might that be?

As for Hooper sitting in pressers while Chubby complained, what should he have done?

He continued the narratives with Cheika, Cheika threw to him all the time. That was their bond, their friendship. That’s what they thought was the correct leadership of the Wallabies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I agree Hooper is the more likely selection, but I’d personally have no issue at all with Wright facing the All Blacks. He’s been one of the very best on the field every game he’s played this year so I don’t see why you would suggest he isn’t up to it.

I'm not suggesting he isn't up to test football. I just think for all but the most outstanding players that a debut game starting in a Bledisloe is a very tough task.

I think he's a good player, but I still think Hooper is better than him and has the test pedigree to boot. But if they pick Wright at 7 for the first Bledisloe I won't be marching in the street demanding Rennie's head.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm not suggesting he isn't up to test football. I just think for all but the most outstanding players that a debut game starting in a Bledisloe is a very tough task.

I think he's a good player, but I still think Hooper is better than him and has the test pedigree to boot. But if they pick Wright at 7 for the first Bledisloe I won't be marching in the street demanding Rennie's head.

No marching. Gladys won't be happy.

No way Rennie does not pick Hooper. But I think he needs to be relieved of the burden of captaincy and just put all his energy into what he has to do, which is always a lot.

B

Bobby Sands

Team captain appears at press conferences with coach. More news at 11!

I know this is hard for you to acknowledge, but their collective leadership as an extension of the Waratahs sess pit has lead to much of the dire state of public opinion that Australian Rugby is in.

Never, in any sport, have we seen such open whining and complaining, attacking of referees etc - its absolutely nauseating. The other irony is that Cheika proved all the initial reasons why he was never touched by NSW originally (prior to him going to Europe).

Why is it such a controversial thing to say that the captain of the Wallabies might not of been doing a great job? Have we been going well? Is the sport going well? are the Waratahs going well?

If everything is going well, well let's not upset the apple cart - but if it's not, what can we change?

Do you think Ben Mowen or David Pocock would sit in a presser with their face scrunched up, whinging and deriding decisions?

I don't - and I hope to not see it again.

In fact, let's just see how good Hooper is tomorrow. Maybe he is as amazing as you say?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why is it such a controversial thing to say that the captain of the Wallabies might not of been doing a great job? Have we been going well? Is the sport going well? are the Waratahs going well?

If everything is going well, well let's not upset the apple cart - but if it's not, what can we change?

Do you think Ben Mowen or David Pocock would sit in a presser with their face scrunched up, whinging and deriding decisions?

This was Cheika.

I'm not sure exactly what you think Hooper did at press conferences that was different to what any other captain did or does.

You obviously dislike both Hooper and Cheika but you are tarring Hooper with the same brush as Cheika.

Has Hooper ever been known to regularly criticise referees in the half a dozen or so tests he captained under McKenzie or the 60+ Super Rugby games he captained under Gibson?

It's fair to say that Hooper's captaincy hasn't always been great. He was very inexperienced in the role when he became Wallabies captain and certainly his dealings with referees on field was poor. He's come a long way since then.

It's pretty telling that he was a fairly obvious choice for captain when Moore got injured in 2014 despite being one of the youngest players in the side and that there hasn't been a serious challenger to take over since.

Who would you be making Wallabies captain?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

you don’t think been a lineout option is a factor to consider when selecting players?

Reactions: dru