• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
At least all the combinations I've seen here are balanced. Also think Wilson is a chance of getting the Eight jersey. With a different game style to Nasirani.

B

Bobby Sands

After four games the stats have them as follows:

Wright - 19 carries for 42 metres, 48 tackles with 4 misses, 6 turnovers won.
Hooper - 35 carries for 99 metres, 60 tackles with 7 misses, 5 turnovers won.

Hooper brings better ball running, Wright is substantially better in the lineout.

Why not show the lineout stats?

Hasn’t Wright had the same amount of takes as Simmonds & won the most lineout turnovers?

I think I also read he has been involved in a third more “effective” rucks than Hooper.

Hoops runs better lines in outside channels, no doubt about it.

B

Bobby Sands

After four games the stats have them as follows:

Wright - 19 carries for 42 metres, 48 tackles with 4 misses, 6 turnovers won.
Hooper - 35 carries for 99 metres, 60 tackles with 7 misses, 5 turnovers won.

Hooper brings better ball running, Wright is substantially better in the lineout.

What was the origin of stats? Let me see what I can find.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why not show the lineout stats?

Hasn’t Wright had the same amount of takes as Simmonds & won the most lineout turnovers?

Wright has won 11 lineouts. I don't have stats on steals. If anyone has access to them, I'm all ears. Clearly he's a far better lineout option. I would imagine Hooper has zero because he's not being used as a jumper in a lineout that is functioning well.

I don't have any stats relating to effective ruck involvements.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’ll post one more time and then leave it -

Do I think Hooper, all things considered, remains a better player at the moment then Wright. Yes - but I think it isn’t by much. Obviously his test experience is a big plus and I expect him to be picked and for Wright to be given more experience from the bench.

Do I think Hooper, Nasirani & Wilson/Valetini is a better backrow combination then Wright, Nasirani & Wilson/Valetini or indeed Hooper, Nasirani & Wright. No - not given the importance of the lineout in the modern game, I don’t.

Edit: and people should remember Rennie comes from a background where you pick your game strategy first and then pick the best players to execute it.

well that statistics support your comments about the importance of the line out in the modern game.

2015 RWC statistical report demonstrates that line-outs were the source for 50% of all tries scored that tournament, followed by the scrum 15%, turnovers and handling errors 12%, opponents kick 11%, restarts 7% and penalty/free kick 5%.

I haven't see whether WR (World Rugby) has released a similar report for 2019, ill be interested to see if those figures have changed much.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You realise this make no sense if you 6 isn't a good jumper?

The 6 jumping over 7 isn't for any strategic reason, other than 6's have been traditionally taller.

Naisarani is not a great target, neither is Samu, Wilson is ok.

It needs to be balanced out, and this never happened with Pocock and Hooper.

But Hooper supporters just never realise this, or care about the lineout.

Actually, Samu is a pretty good jumper..........

He’s been the Brumbies main third target the last two seasons, and even got a steal on the weekend.

It’s actually Valetini who is not a great jumper and seldom used.

So that’s where I will agree that Wright’s jumping ability is a big plus, because for me Valetini is the leading candidate at 6, and Naisarani hasn’t been that great in the lineout.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I thought Naisarani's lineout ability during the 2019 RWC was pretty dreadful, for an athletic guy he really lacks coordination in the air.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I thought Samu has been great, especially recently. Think he's been the form backrower well above Valetini.

Interesting that Simon Raiwalui on the rugby ruckus thinks that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is not only more suited for 6 but will be one of the best players in the world in the next few years.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Naisarani has one hand on the Wallaby 8 jersey tonight, probably two. Outstanding performance.

I think you build the back row around him.

Though I suspect at least one other bloke not being very accepting of this. :)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah agree on Naisarani. He reportedly was going to miss the whole comp too. It’s Wilson Hooper Isi for me in the backrow.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
For the Wallabies starting 8 this year, i'd prefer Naisarani to start and Wilson off the bench, I agree with the sentiment that good enough is old enough, but I also prefer people to be introduced in a way which sets them up for best success, earning caps off the bench to build experience is a good way to build exposure to test rugby.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The Aus reporting this morning that Dan Mackellar will be the Wallabies forward coach. Also that Rennie is pushing for a South African Glasgow colleague to be scrum coach, who is also a physio. Smith points out that Lillicrap also fits that description and highlights what he has done at the Reds. I prefer the homegrown option too personally.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Speaking of the latest shiny new thing - Deegan was pretty good last night at a time when our other choices are compromises or premature (I don’t personally believe they’ll go with Harrison as much as I like the kid).

Not saying he’s jumped into contention but if he keeps playing like that he’d have to be a shot.