• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well that was certainly a big weekend in terms of mixing up the perception of potential Wallabies. A bunch of players who were barely on the radar are now right in the frame and some who seemed like they were almost guaranteed starters a few weeks ago are no longer.

Matt To'omua looked fantastic in the 12 jersey for the Rebels and surely has to play there. JOC (James O'Connor) is solid at 10 but with the steady hand of To'omua at 12, maybe one of the youngsters will get the nod with Harrison potentially the favourite with his goal kicking a big plus. Lolesio is still to come back and with Deegan now starting he has a chance to build on an excellent game against the Brumbies.

Jack Dempsey now has to be considered and could be an excellent option at 6. Prior to this weekend you wouldn't have had him close to the squad but that was a brilliant performance.

Trevor Hosea keeps playing strong games for the Rebels and could potentially be the lock bolter in the squad, leapfrogging Swain, Frost and Blyth.

Jake Gordon is a real contender for the squad as well with a great performance in his first start for the season. You'd have to assume that Tate McDermott will be back starting for the Reds but squad spots are pretty open at 9.

James Ramm is proving very elusive. I think he's well behind Koroibete and Wright but he's probably leapt ahead of a few vying for the squad (notably Kellaway who has been quiet for a while after being on fire early in the year).

BH, on the money with MT I reckon, but I'm still not sold on Will Harrison as a Wallaby contender this year. The Tahs backline attack was very impressive against the Reds. but it looked to me that most of the attacking raids, especially those down the Tahs' left wing, were started by Maddocks taking the ball at first or second receiver. I do not recall Will being the starting point for any of the raids that led directly to tries. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

However, I am not suggesting any of the other recent comers in the 10 spot will get the Wallabies' job either. Let's just give them time to mature and work out how to manage their backlines before elevating them to the national team. I just don't see JOC (James O'Connor) as an effective option at 10 either. He played so deep against the Tahs that the Reds backline had trouble even reaching the advantage line let alone threatening it. When he did make a bit of a break, it looked more like he was playing 15 rather than 10. The best 10 performance was clearly by Deegan, and he has shown that sort of form over two or three yhears with the Force before this. I hope he can get more opportunities at the Rebels this year and that he can kick on to take that spot.

Dempsey had quite an outstanding game and was unlucky to cross the line three times (I think) for no tries. He does offer another lineout option as well and certainly has come into contention. He needs to keep that form up, because one swallow does not a summer make.

I agree that Hosea is looking the goods for the Rebels and could well be in the running at the end of the year. Good work ethic, good skills and seems to be excellent in the lineout.

Similarly, on this form, Jake Gordon also comes into contention. Had a very impressive hit out against the Reds - best game for quite a while.

Ramm looks to be something special. Quite a few good wingers around atm but he is looking one of the best.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'd like to see them trial a union version of State of Origin with a 3rd team of ACT/WA/VIC/International almost strictly down place of birth lines. 3 game series. In the front row you'd see Slipper and Holmes back to QLD, AAA to NSW, Thor to the Barbarians. All profits going to player payments to off-set the losses due to COVID.

I know it probably won't happen. Probables vs possibles would be good, but harder to get behind.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd like to see them trial a union version of State of Origin with a 3rd team of ACT/WA/VIC/International almost strictly down place of birth lines. 3 game series. In the front row you'd see Slipper and Holmes back to QLD, AAA to NSW, Thor to the Barbarians. All profits going to player payments to off-set the losses due to COVID.

I know it probably won't happen. Probables vs possibles would be good, but harder to get behind.
Would love to see a version of Vic vs WA.

DHP, Hardwick, Hardy, RHP back in WA

Valetini, Samu, Paisami, Faulkner back in Vic

Some solid Shute shield players like Rodney Iona and Josh Coward playing for Vic.

Tizzano and McDonald from the Tahs larger squad in a one off game. Played as a prematch to a NSW/QLD clash

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
i would be very interested in making it a 2 or 3 game series - Chance to try different combos, players that get shown up have a chance at redemption, possible movement between the two teams

not sure if that would be everyones cup of tea though

Clearly test matches against other countries would be the priority (bledisloe or RC) but given challenges around this maybe your idea is a back up plan to get some matches. But while one trial match like this I could see working not so sure series would work as really only just that ie sides put together of our best players for trial purposes. Maybe could get creative to have state of origin series to make it work if other test options dissappear because of CoVId.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Petaia
14. Ramm
15. Hodge/DHP

2 debutants, some experienced heads around them.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1. Slipper
2. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
3. Tupou
4. Philip
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Wilson
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani/Samu

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Petaia
14. Ramm
15. Hodge/DHP

2 debutants, some experienced heads around them.

9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Petaia
14.Wright - Ramm still has some ground to make up on wright who has been a standout all season. Ramm has been good in limited appearances probably still a year away to show some conituned success. I'd still have Daugunu ahead of him also.
15. Maddocks - If he can continue this current run of form with DHP out and Banks seemingly struggling to recapture his form I'd take Maddocks.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Petaia
14.Wright - Ramm still has some ground to make up on wright who has been a standout this season. Ramm has been good in limited appearances.
15. Maddocks - If he can continue this current run of form with DHP out and Banks seemingly struggling to recapture his form I'd take Maddocks.

Happy to take Maddocks over them, Wright doesn't amaze me. In saying that I've realised in my 15 I've named 1.5 Brumbies...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Daugunu starts in my team now because of his defence.

In terms of order of my wingers:

Koro, Daugunu, Wright, Ramm

(Counting Petaia as a 13)

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Based on form I’d have
Wright
Koro
Daugunu
Ramm

Obviously Koro will be first selected. Wright defence solid just offers more With all round game and a genuine back 3 player. Both Koro and Daugunu showed instances tonight of a lack of vision and a passing game. IMHO you can carry one of those types of players but need something more in the other winger.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Tupou's improvement this season has been remarkable, I remember an interview with Matt Taylor during the COVID break and he commented on the extra work that Tupou had put in during the isolation period and how he was really standing out from the group in that regard.

Unless those silly penalties that he used to give away creep back into his game, then he is my start THP for the Wallabies without a doubt.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There is an excellent crop of youngsters coming through from the 2019 U20s, but I don't think it is likely, or even fair to them, to be expecting them to make the Wallabies first 15 this year. Closest to being ready at Wallaby level would have to be Wilson, McReight, Harrison and Lolesio. They should all be given bench time at some stage later this year, and be used not left languishing like some have been over recent years.

Others from that pathway who should be around the squad include Hosea, Frost, Bell, Harris.

But, as outstanding as each has been at age level and impressive in their Super debut years, I don't think they should be thrown to the wolves by being selected in the Wallaby XV. Each should learn from their senior counterparts or the coaching staff over the test season this year with the aim of challenging incumbents from 2021 onwards. In 2020, Wilson should remain behind Naisarani, McReight behind Hooper, and Harrison and Lolesio behind whomever of To'omua, O'Connor or Deegan get the nod from Rennie this year.

The SRAu has also thrown up some more names from more established players who are now well and truly in the mix for the Wallabies. Among them are the re-emergence of Maddocks, the continued development of Daugunu, Tom Wright, Petaia, Simone, Deegan, McDermott, Gordon, Dempsey, Valetini, Liam Wright, Philip, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), and Robertson. Coming out of the blue have been Ramm, Campbell, Paisami and Horton.

My Wallaby side for the first test, based on incumbency and form to date, is :

1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. Tupou
4, Philip
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. White
10. Deegan
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Wright
15. Maddocks

16. Uelese (based on potential - form has not been great)
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Blyth
20. Dempsey/Samu
21. Powell/McDermott
22. Petaia
23. Hodge/O'Connor

I believe Tupou has probably overtaken Allan A for the starting spot, while a combination of Tupou, Philip and Valetini would challenge any forward pack for aggression and competitiveness.

Nic White probably gets to start at half back as the incumbent, similarly Kuridrani and Koroibete. Petaia is the most likely to replace TK at 13 if that should happen, while I would have Ramm as the next winger as he looks to be able to play the second full back role as well. Daugunu well and truly in the mix for his attacking and finishing flair.

I expect changes to occur as SRAu plays out, due changes in form and injuries.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
9. White
10. O'Connor
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Tevita
14. Petaia
15. Hodge
21. McDermott
22. Hunt
23. Maddocks

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I still see flyhalf as being an issue...........

Lolesio - best performing attacking flyhalf before busting his hamstring. But his goal kicking is lousy, and you wouldn't throw in a rookie flyhalf against the AB's, again, like with...........

To'omua - possibly better suited to 12, but in my view the best of the rest.

JOC (James O'Connor) - I honestly haven't seen anything from him to suggest he should be a test flyhalf, and his kicking in general play is poor.

Harrison - he has promise, but nowhere near it as yet. Kicking game is pretty good, especially his goal kicking.

Deegan - hasn't played enough rugby at this level to be in the conversation.

I think it's inevitable we're going to see a reasonably green backline though.

I could see a player like Hodge maybe being part of the squad, but I don't believe his master of none is required when we have some quality performing outside backs that possess speed and ball skills.

At this stage I'd run with:

9. White
10. To'omua
11. Koroibete
12. Simone
13. Petaia
14. Wright
15. DHP

21. McDermott
22. O'Connor
23. Maddocks / Daugunu

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
If Paisami is out injured for a few weeks we may get to see Petaia at 13 which would be good from a selection perspective. I’m fairly certain Flook went to 13 on the weekend and Petaia remained on the wing.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Don't disagree with most of what has been posted above, and I particularly like what BR wrote about experience over youth. I said pre-COVID we'd likely see JOC (James O'Connor)/To'omua as our 10/12, and I still think that's the best option at this stage.

I like JOC (James O'Connor)'s organisation of the Reds backline, and the way he's setting up his outside men - his ball to Stewart to set up the Reds final try was a good example of this.

Petaia has to be there somewhere, but the next few weeks will tell us if it's on the wing or at 13. I am guessing it's only a matter of time before the Reds put him closer to the ball.

And who knows what sort of shape Nic White is in, but like BR I think the incumbency should be respected, his form last year was good.

9. White
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Koro
12. To'omua
13. Petaia
14. Wright (or Daugunu)
15. Maddocks (but I'd pick DHP if he comes back in decent form for the Rebs)

That's a pretty solid backline.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I still see flyhalf as being an issue.....

Lolesio - best performing attacking flyhalf before busting his hamstring. But his goal kicking is lousy, and you wouldn't throw in a rookie flyhalf against the AB's, again, like with.....

To'omua - possibly better suited to 12, but in my view the best of the rest.

JOC (James O'Connor) - I honestly haven't seen anything from him to suggest he should be a test flyhalf, and his kicking in general play is poor.

Harrison - he has promise, but nowhere near it as yet. Kicking game is pretty good, especially his goal kicking.

Deegan - hasn't played enough rugby at this level to be in the conversation.

I think it's inevitable we're going to see a reasonably green backline though.

I could see a player like Hodge maybe being part of the squad, but I don't believe his master of none is required when we have some quality performing outside backs that possess speed and ball skills.

At this stage I'd run with:

9. White
10. To'omua
11. Koroibete
12. Simone
13. Petaia
14. Wright
15. DHP

21. McDermott
22. O'Connor
23. Maddocks / Daugunu

Lolesio or Harrison? One needs to be at least on the bench, the other in the squad,

But I don't rate To'omua or JOC (James O'Connor) as 10s, they are 12s who play 10

i would prefer one of Lolesio or Harrison to start with say White @9 and probably To'omua @12

And probably DHP @ 14 with Maddocks @15

Maddocks has clearly demonstrated he just ain't a bench option, he just doesn't have the flexibility to do a decent job a wing, he is @15 or in the stands

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah just start To'omua at 12. He's obviously the best 12 in the country.

I think JOC (James O'Connor) does a better job of covering 10 but i'd like his versatility off the bench. Since Lolesio is injured Harrison moves to 10.

That said - i'm happy for Rennie to ease the young 10s in off the bench so JOC (James O'Connor) starting 10 for the first few matches/this year.

DHP is poo on the wing as well IMO. If you want a second fullback (not my preferred option) get Ramm in there. He can kick and is actually dangerous in space. Personally, with a kicking fullback on the field (preferably Maddocks) i think you can carry two strike wingers in MK and Daugunu/Petaia (not sold on Wright).

To MK's credit i've also seen him pull off the odd decent kick when pressured into it.

Edit: Also BR, you are laughing if you think Deegan has earnt a Wallaby spot yet. I think the Rebels are a much better side with him in it but he's got a bit to prove yet.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Maddocks has clearly demonstrated he just ain't a bench option, he just doesn't have the flexibility to do a decent job a wing, he is @15 or in the stands
The next couple of weeks will be crucial for someone like Maddocks whose form has been up and down this competition. The benefit of playing in a tight Australian only competition is that the fixtures are going to be gritty with high intensity like the Reds vs Rebels. It's a much better way to gauge how players are tracking for test rugby than a few end of season Super matches when there is no chance of finals contention and the opposition are tired touring sides or a Kiwi side that no one has the motivation to get up for.