• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Dave Rennie's August PONI list

Tighthead prop: Allan Ala'alatoa, Pone Fa'amausili, Jermaine Ainsley, Taniela Tupou, Harry Johnson-Holmes
Loosehead prop: Angus Bell, Scott Sio, James Slipper, Harry Johnson-Holmes (both)
Hooker: Folau Fainga'a, Connal McInerney, Jordan Uelese, Tom Horton
Second row: Ned Hanigan (6), Rob Simmons, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Trevor Hosea, Matt Philip, Cadeyrn Neville
No.6: Lachlan Swinton, Ned Hanigan (lock), Harry Wilson (8), Peter Samu (8), Rob Valetini
No.7: Michael Hooper, Liam Wright, Fraser McReight
No.8: Harry Wilson (6), Pete Samu (6), Isi Naisarani
Halfbacks: Nic White, Jake Gordon, Tate McDermott
Five-eighths: Matt To'omua, Noah Lolesio, Will Harrison
No.12: James O'Connor, Reece Hodge (13), Irae Simone
No.13: Reece Hodge (12), Jordan Petaia, Tevita Kuridrani
Wing: James Ramm, Tom Wright, Marika Koroibete, Filipo Daugunu
Fullback: Jack Maddocks, Dane Haylett-Petty, Tom Banks.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...abies-coach-s-watch-list-20200820-p55nrk.html

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Tom Robertson unlucky not to be there from what I’ve seen - but then he’s not long back from injury, so maybe depends exactly when the list was made.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)

Tighthead prop: Allan Ala'alatoa, Pone Fa'amausili, Jermaine Ainsley, Taniela Tupou, Harry Johnson-Holmes
Loosehead prop: Angus Bell, Scott Sio, James Slipper, Harry Johnson-Holmes (both)
Second row: Ned Hanigan (6), Rob Simmons, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Trevor Hosea, Matt Philip, Cadeyrn Neville
No.6: Lachlan Swinton, Ned Hanigan (lock), Harry Wilson (8), Peter Samu (8), Rob Valetini

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...abies-coach-s-watch-list-20200820-p55nrk.html

While the DT reports

While they have not been officially added to the PONI list, Melbourne youngsters Pone Fa’amausili and Trevor Hosea, and Waratahs flyer James Ramm are certainly on Rennie’s radar.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/dcd3a104dfc4e58b192ab59e0a2eb595

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
History of Rennie’s 10 selections, he has always had a 10 that’s an orchestrator/distributor. I actually think beyond this season because of experience Will Harrison is exactly the prototype of 10 he’s picked. Cruden, Russell and Hastings have been his last 3 and all dominate touches with a running 9.

BPA is probably the most unlucky with McInerny the most lucky, beyond that the squad is highly predictable. There is a couple of players that could be argued unlucky but you can’t pick everyone (Robertson, Orr, Blyth).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

No real contentious selections in my view. Only change id make is switch JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua around, but not sure how much that matters.

When looking at this list i can't help but feel Rennie has his hands full turning it into a team that can beat the All Blacks.

Edit: oh, and it's encouraging to see him list only actual wingers on the wing.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
When looking at this list i can't help but feel Rennie has his hands full turning it into a team that can beat the All Blacks.

I don't disagree. That is what he is paid to do, and we must live in hope!!! One thing is for sure and certain, we have a much better chance of developing a long term winning team and playing style under Rennie than we did under Chubby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't disagree. That is what he is paid to do, and we must live in hope!!! One thing is for sure and certain, we have a much better chance of developing a long term winning team and playing style under Rennie than we did under Chubby.

I'll reserve judgment.

Although, i'll just be happy if Rennie can get on with it after a loss and not bang on and on in public about the ref.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)

A couple of interesting points to note:

- HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)'s transition to TH this season may see him as a key part of the squad to cover LH and TH as a 5th prop (depending on how many props selected in the final squad & assuming AAA, Slips, Sio and Thor are the first four to be selected).
- Stocks at hooker are looking light behind FF (Folau Fainga'a) as all others have key deficiencies (Tom Horton's size, Uelese's throwing, McInerney's game time)
- Interesting to see Caderyn Neville selected as PONI without much game time in Super Au (Blyth unlucky here IMHO)
- Very happy to see Trevor Hosea selected as he'd be one of my key development players for the future (I think he and Frost will be long term Wallabies in a few years)
- Harry Wilson noted as a 6 & 8 (I wonder if this is telegraphing that we may see Wilson and Naisarani in the same backrow?)
- Wright not seen as a 6, but 7 only
- Swinton is lucky to be there after a couple of strong games followed by a number of quiet games
- To'omua noted as a Fly Half and not Inside Centre
- JOC (James O'Connor) noted as Inside Centre and not Fly Half
- Hodge noted as Inside & Outside Centre (despite not playing at 12)
- Happy with the wing selections and depth at the moment (Byron Ralston can't be too far behind Ramm)
- Most unlucky to seemingly be off the radar are Blyth, Dempsey & Powell

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

I believe this comment was made on the Wallabies 2019 thread. And the 2018 thread. And the 2017 thread. And 2016, 2015........

Which is not to say it isn't accurate, but I'd also add this won't be the world beating AB team of the past either. I reckon if we play four matches it might end 3-1 to them, but in my experience it's generally closer than we think it might be as natural Bledisloe pessimists.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Don't like Hodge at centre at all, leave him at fullback.

Do people still think Rennie is gonna parachute anyone in under an updated Giteau law?

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Lest we forget that, in an Olympic gold medal winning effort effort of falling upwards, Ian Foster is now, somehow, the head coach of the New Zealand national rugby team.

Australia would be favourites for every match.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
How is Hodge still making the cut? For me he's behind so many other players in all the positions he can play. 12 behind JOC (James O'Connor), To'omua, Simone, Stewart, 13 behind Petaia, TK, Paisami, Magnay, wing behind too many to list, fullback behind DHP, Banks and Maddocks. I don't get the thought that he's included cause he can play all positions when there is so many ahead of him in all the positions, plus so many other players are versatile too.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My only comments would be that Dempsey should be there in place of Swinton, and maybe Blyth for Hanigan...........

It's not that Hanigan has been playing badly, but I think Super Rugby is his peak level.

Paisami also unlucky not to be included.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I would also have Dempsey over Swinton and Hodge no where near the side.

Hodge is surely last in both the positions he is in 'interest' for, though. Not sure a squad needs more than 4 centres - so he's one of the first cropped in my opinion.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Lest we forget that, in an Olympic gold medal winning effort effort of falling upwards, Ian Foster is now, somehow, the head coach of the New Zealand national rugby team.

Australia would be favourites for every match.

Hansen hadn't exactly been pulling out the big plays. He just picked the tenured ABs and watched from the sidelines in silence.

Hell, the only big change he made was to retire a few wingers after he got pumped by the Wobblies.

Seemed to work the majority of the time.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think Hodge is there purely as a bench back. Like it or lump it, it’s now a genuine role in a team. Also means you can carry 6/2 splits, etc. I agree tho, he’s way down the list in spots individually but equally he’s the best jack of all trades we have for a 23 jersey. I wouldn’t mind seeing what Tom Wright could do with some versatility in his game, but at the moment obviously best for him to focus on wing and knuckle that down first.

Top Bottom