• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks UTG. I was hoping for a more comprehensive stats list - but appreciate the reply.

Regarding Ramm, there are a host of guys putting their hands up. Ramm is certainly one of them. It’s good to have some genuine competition for spots.

rugbypass.com has good depth of stats on each player. The biggest slight on Ramm is his 68% tackles won. Needs to improve the defence to take on the AB's.

https://www.rugbypass.com/super-rugby/teams/waratahs/players/james-ramm/statistics/

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Ramm for me is a bolter and may come down to if they pick a Jack of all trades like say Hodge or a fullback wing like DHP (although injured) but I think his been very good in what Ive seen.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
Ramm for me is a bolter and may come down to if they pick a Jack of all trades like say Hodge or a fullback wing like DHP (although injured) but I think his been very good in what Ive seen.
Yes the Problem for Ramm is that the trend is to pick a jack of all trades on the bench. I’m not sure if Ramm is first pick wing at this stage. So it’s difficult to get a chance of the bench for young wingers.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yes the Problem for Ramm is that the trend is to pick a jack of all trades on the bench. I’m not sure if Ramm is first pick wing at this stage. So it’s difficult to get a chance of the bench for young wingers.

Bench wingers almost never have an impact on the game, anyway. The only jersey i want a generalist in is 23.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

I was talking squad selection more then team pick.. but yeah if its on the bench 23 spot Hodge could be the man.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The plus side for Ramm is that, unless they go with a fullback on the wing (and I don’t see the need personally) than it is almost certainly going to be a debutant. So form will certainly be important - but I think they’ll also be a bit more prepared to go with potential then they would in a position like 10 where I feel they’ll be more likely to go with an experienced stop gap and bring the rookie through progressively. I’ve been mighty impressed with both Wright & Daugunu, and Wright would probably be my pick at the moment but I wouldn’t be surprised if Ramm jumped the queue.

Adds a bit more spice the this weekends clash.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I wouldn't have a huge issue with Ramm in the 23 jersey. His skillset is rounded enough that he could fill in at fullback if needed, which Daugunu can't/ shouldn't and probably to an equal level to Hodge.

Hodge's main advantage is that he can potentially play in the centres (although you wouldn't want him to against the ABs) and this is probably redundant if you have O'Connor, To'omua and Petaia in the 23 anway.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I wouldn't have a huge issue with Ramm in the 23 jersey. His skillset is rounded enough that he could fill in at fullback if needed, which Daugunu can't/ shouldn't and probably to an equal level to Hodge.

Hodge's main advantage is that he can potentially play in the centres (although you wouldn't want him to against the ABs) and this is probably redundant if you have O'Connor, To'omua and Petaia in the 23 anway.

His tackle % on the wing isn't great. I'd hate to see what it would be at 15 against the ABs having never even played there in Super Rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He might be a bit small. Good player though.
According to Wiki he is 97kg (though i reckon that's probably out of date). By way of comparison Finaga'a is 108, Latu is 110, Dane Coles 108, Malcom Marx 114.

So yeah - might need to eat a few more meat pies. He's very mobile though, and still seems to hit hard.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
He might be a bit small. Good player though.
I don’t agree with Phil Kerns. But he will be a good prospect in a few years when he puts on a few Kgs of muscle.
on a lighter note even my daughter agrees he needs to pack on a few Kgs and She never agrees with me like a typical teenager

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Not advocating either way, but just for the benefit of those not on the Twitterverse, check out this Ramm try assist at the U20s last year

https://t.co/r8WsmrhS0f

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
On the plus side with Horton he seems to be clearly the best thrower.

Why is it that we still struggle to get a player in each position that ticks ALL the key requirements of their position.

Reactions: dru

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
His tackle % on the wing isn't great. I'd hate to see what it would be at 15 against the ABs having never even played there in Super Rugby.
What would be a good tackle success % for a winger? I have no idea how they (different wingers) compare. Given the circumstances in which they often defend, I'm guessing the average might be low compared to other positions. Not particularly spruiking for Ramm, by the way. Just curious.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
What would be a good tackle success % for a winger? I have no idea how they (different wingers) compare. Given the circumstances in which they often defend, I'm guessing the average might be low compared to other positions. Not particularly spruiking for Ramm, by the way. Just curious.

As a comparison of those suggested as possible Wallabies candidates according to rugbypass stats:

Tom Wright 83%
Filipo Daugunu 80%
Marika Korobiete 69%
James Ramm 68%

Further comparison

George Bridge 89%
Sevu Reece 81%
Ben Smith 81%
Reiko Ioane 79%

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
TY - i was looking for stats but couldn't find any good ones. Where'd you get em? I saw Ramm's quoted by someone else here.

As to your point - yeah wingers get put in tough spots pretty regularly. I always found defending harder at fullback though. Not sure if that pans out at professional level.

Rugboy - you have any fullback stats to go with that?

Top Bottom