• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Like it or not incumbency does carry some weight at the start of an international season, this season even more so as we will be only be playing the All Blacks and in the first test we will have had 2 and a half weeks preparation and they will have had 2 and half months. I would add that in the pro era incumbents includes all the blokes in the 23. Even though it's a new coach that is going to be his starting point. And don't worry about the PONI list, that is by no means the Wallabies squad, it's a fairly fluid list.

[deleted the list because the quote function removed the strikethrough and it took up too much space anyway]

For game 1, fill in the blanks.

I wouldn't start Sio for the Brumbies on form, let alone the Wallabies. Other than that it's actually surprising how many of the incumbents seem to have justified being selected again (although I wouldn't pick Hodge in a pink fit).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m actually starting to go cold on Nasirani as a locked in starter.

Which is very harsh, because on form, and with the benefit of incumbency he would be there. But somewhere we need to make a change to improve our lineout.

The only possible threat I could see to Hooper was by Wright - and that was on the basis that Rennie wanted a different player type. But I think for that to happen Wright had to convincingly out play him when they went head to head and it didn’t happen.

That being the case I’m concerned about having Hooper & Nasirani in the back row. Nasirani can jump, but he doesn’t seem a good lineout operator at all. Regardless of who is 6 I’d like the 8 to at least be a threat and Samu, Wilson & Dempsey all offer that.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Which is very harsh, because on form, and with the benefit of incumbency he would be there. But somewhere we need to make a change to improve our lineout.

The only possible threat I could see to Hooper was by Wright - and that was on the basis that Rennie wanted a different player type. But I think for that to happen Wright had to convincingly out play him when they went head to head and it didn’t happen.

That being the case I’m concerned about having Hooper & Nasirani in the back row. Nasirani can jump, but he doesn’t seem a good lineout operator at all. Regardless of who is 6 I’d like the 8 to at least be a threat and Samu, Wilson & Dempsey all offer that.

This is why i think Wright should be considered for 6.

Otherwise, Valetini in at 6 with whoever goes in at 8 being able to jump - i.e. Samu.

Edit: whatever we end up going with - we have loads of options to balance the row now and thats a nice feeling.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Agree with these comments, also why we cant assess players on an individual basis without considering how that impacts on the balance across the team, backrow/second row combination been the most prevalent example of this.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Valentini isn't even starting for the Brumbies!

I think the only good options for 6 would be Wright, Samu, maybe Dempsey (but I'm unconvinced still) & Hanigan (he's legittt finally come good). I'd love to have LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in that let but he's needed in lock.

I do think Isi is over rated, if you go with Samu or you reach and trust in Wilson is a tough decision.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Brumbies look to be doing a bit of rotation ahead of the last round and the finals, I’m not reading anything into it. Except for maybe TK who has been left out 2 weeks running.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some interesting, though unsubstantiated, comments coming out of some Reds fans on the Reds 2020 thread about JOC (James O'Connor), his behaviours and influences on the team dynamic. If there's anything behind those comments, I think JOC (James O'Connor) will be lucky to wear the Gold let alone be considered for Captain. Or is this just a push by a few who don't like him?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some interesting, though unsubstantiated, comments coming out of some Reds fans on the Reds 2020 thread about JOC (James O'Connor), his behaviours and influences on the team dynamic. If there's anything behind those comments, I think JOC (James O'Connor) will be lucky to wear the Gold let alone be considered for Captain. Or is this just a push by a few who don't like him?
Not even worth mentioning. There is a far greater likelihood of it been one person talking smack on an Internet forum about a guy he’s probably never met in his life.

If it was even remotely true, Thorn would have him out the door in a second

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Like it or not incumbency does carry some weight at the start of an international season, this season even more so as we will be only be playing the All Blacks and in the first test we will have had 2 and a half weeks preparation and they will have had 2 and half months. I would add that in the pro era incumbents includes all the blokes in the 23. Even though it's a new coach that is going to be his starting point. And don't worry about the PONI list, that is by no means the Wallabies squad, it's a fairly fluid list.

This is the last Wallabies team to play:

1. Scott Sio
2. Tolu Latu
3. Allan Ala'alatoa
4. Izack Rodda
5. Rory Arnold
6. David Pocock
7. Michael Hooper (c)
8. Isi Naisarani
9. Will Genia
10. Christian Lealiifano
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Samu Kerevi
13. Jordan Petaia
14. Reece Hodge
15. Kurtley Beale
16. Jordan Uelese
17. James Slipper
18. Taniela Tupou
19. Adam Coleman
20. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
21. Nic White
22. Matt To’omua
23. James O’Connor

For game 1, fill in the blanks.

Ok I like this game:

2. Fainga'a
4. Simmons
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Wilson
9. White
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
12. To'omua
15. Banks
19. Phillip
20. Ummmm Wright or Samu
(21. Mcdermottt)
(22. TK)
(23. DHP)

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Given how much COVID has had an impact on Rennie and co meeting/interacting with the player group, I can see Rennie having Hooper as a stop gap Skipper while he (Rennie) gets to know the player group a bit better.

Then bring in all of your potential choices for Captain into the leadership group this year and see who you want next year.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Valentini isn't even starting for the Brumbies!

I think the only good options for 6 would be Wright, Samu, maybe Dempsey (but I'm unconvinced still) & Hanigan (he's legittt finally come good). I'd love to have LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in that let but he's needed in lock.

I do think Isi is over rated, if you go with Samu or you reach and trust in Wilson is a tough decision.

You could have said the same about Tate, his being rested.

B

Bobby Sands

I think Hooper will be captain and starter, but it’s hardly inconceivable that a new coach coming into a team with an abysmal prior record is going to make significant changes. Hooper is great, but he isn’t untouchable.

But unfortunately he is, because he was signed to the dumbest contract of all time - which made us play Dave at 8, and Liam Gill career was completely lost to Australian rugby.

It has taken an entirely new development cycle to bring in a more healthy debate around our 7.

Dave, Gill, Wright, McReight.

But somehow Hooper just gets the spot with no contest, and Cheika corruptly signs Australia's rugby fate by putting him on that ridiculous deal.

Reactions: dru

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
But unfortunately he is, because he was signed to the dumbest contract of all time - which made us play Dave at 8, and Liam Gill career was completely lost to Australian rugby.

It has taken an entirely new development cycle to bring in a more healthy debate around our 7

Bobby, you are taking some liberties with the history books. Gill is only six months younger than Hooper and three Wallabies coaches have prefered Hooper over Gill. Hooper also signed that deal in 2018 after two JEM and two years after Gill bailed.

Liam Gill was/is (not seen enough of him playing in France to comment) a great player but unfortunately his career coinsided with some pretty special players. Would love to have him around in the mix now but totally understand why he isnt.