• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I agree that the Hooper contract was stupid but i think its unrealistic to suggest that he has been undeserving of his selections at 7 over the years, moving Pocock to accommodate him at 7 was just a matter of trying to get 2 world class players on the field at the same time

Gill could have stayed and fought for his position and most definitely have earned more Wallaby caps, but he took the money on offer and ran (as he is entitled to do)

He could have come back this year and probably would have walked straight into the wallaby squad, but again he turned it down

He might be disenfranchised with Australian rugby but at least a decent portion of that is his own doing

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I agree that the Hooper contract was stupid but i think its unrealistic to suggest that he has been undeserving of his selections at 7 over the years, moving Pocock to accommodate him at 7 was just a matter of trying to get 2 world class players on the field at the same time

Gill could have stayed and fought for his position and most definitely have earned more Wallaby caps, but he took the money on offer and ran (as he is entitled to do)

He could have come back this year and probably would have walked straight into the wallaby squad, but again he turned it down

He might be disenfranchised with Australian rugby but at least a decent portion of that is his own doing
His ship.has sailed. He might of made the wider squad but would be behind Hooper, Wright and probably McRieght. He's better off to stay put and make some money

B

Bobby Sands

That deal was made in 2018, Gill was long gone. Btw where is Gill playing (or where was he playing before COVID)? I haven’t heard much of him.

Gill's career was effectively railroaded by Hooper's selection early on and then he never got a look in.

Reactions: dru
B

Bobby Sands

Bobby, you are taking some liberties with the history books. Gill is only six months younger than Hooper and three Wallabies coaches have prefered Hooper over Gill. Hooper also signed that deal in 2018 after two JEM and two years after Gill bailed.

Liam Gill was/is (not seen enough of him playing in France to comment) a great player but unfortunately his career coinsided with some pretty special players. Would love to have him around in the mix now but totally understand why he isnt.

Do you think that contract helped Australian rugby?

I can't wait to see the back of Hooper, his terrible captaincy, NSW coaches, and ridiculous central contracts that select the team 5 years ahead of time.

It's so god damn ridiculous that anyone would defend that contract or policy of contracting. It is incredibly harmful to rugby in this country. The sheer size of contract meant he would always been selected, when it was abundantly clear Dave was the better 7.

Cheika swung that deal, probably to keep his skipper on side, and it is inherently corrupt. Anyone who think Hooper wasn't complicit in the direction that Cheika took the Wallabies should send me a PM because I have a bridge to sell you.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Bobby I think you should recognise much of what your claiming as fact or abundantly clear is actually subjective to personal opinions, it’s ok to be passionate, but these aren’t factual statements and people still hold different opinions on those topics. I.e. you will never agree..

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
I'm always puzzled by this common belief that players choose between two priorities; Wallaby glory and cash. If I had been good enough to play for Australia, you wouldn't even have seen my taillights disappear over the horizon. How many young people get to do what they love, while living all over the world? Between Europe, Japan, South Africa and now the Americas, there are enough opportunities that I could understand players not wanting to come home even if more money was on offer. Some people prioritise adventure and I'd be shocked if there weren't rugby players who are motivated by it.

B

Bobby Sands

Yes but that wasn’t Cheika, it was Deans. Then Link, then Cheika. And those same coaches also had Pocock to choose as well.

Do you honestly believe Hooper was better (even for one game) than Dave?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He definitely was at the World Cup. Dave shouldnt have been in the team. He was past it.

Poey was unrivalled at getting over the ball but some of the other facets in his game wernt amazing. He wasnt particularly fast and his link play was often poor.

Liam Gill was the most overrated bloke ever. Id take both Wright and McReight over him.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

How'd this come down to that comment? Also let's remember Pocock was injured for a couple of seasons and also went overseas for another. Both players were clearly worth shoehorning into a backrow due to the lack of quality at 6 and 8.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Unintended. Liam Gill imho is one of the greatest opens ever produced in Aus. You can argue that he sat behind Hooper and Pocock (I can't agree but at least understand the view) but to call him overrated is nonsense.
I don’t actually have a strong opinion on the matter. The point was that 3 successive Wallabies coaches had the same one.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Unintended. Liam Gill imho is one of the greatest opens ever produced in Aus. You can argue that he sat behind Hooper and Pocock (I can't agree but at least understand the view) but to call him overrated is nonsense.
And this is why i think this he was overrated. He clearly isn't the best open side Australia has ever produced considering how many absolute legends we've had at open side who could actually nail down the starting 7 jersey for the Wallabies.

Besides - an internet forum seems like the appropriate place to discuss our opinions on players. So no, i won't leave my 'BS' out just because you disagree.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
And this is why i think this he was overrated. He clearly isn't the best open side Australia has ever produced considering how many absolute legends we've had at open side who could actually nail down the starting 7 jersey for the Wallabies.

Besides - an internet forum seems like the appropriate place to discuss our opinions on players. So no, i won't leave my 'BS' out just because you disagree.

Happy for your opinion, just not horse shit. "the most over rated player ever". Utter bollocks by any estimation.