• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why wasn't Laurie Fisher considered?

"Rennie is understood to have sounded out the Brumbies’ forwards coach, Laurie Fisher, to take over those duties with the Wallabies, but he again struck problems when he learned that, for family reasons, Fisher was not able to free himself up at this time.

The expectation is that Fisher may be available next year to join the Wallabies coaching staff as forwards coach, although not until after he has seen out another Super Rugby AU season with the Brumbies in 2021."

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Play like a lock forward in contact. Hmmm. Matt Philip yes, Rob Simmons no. Maybe Matt is the No 6 we're looking for? Actually, FL-W seems to fill a lot of those criteria.

Definitely worth a try. Good player that. Good hands, physical, and gets round the park.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Play like a lock forward in contact. Hmmm. Matt Philip yes, Rob Simmons no. Maybe Matt is the No 6 we're looking for? Actually, FL-W seems to fill a lot of those criteria.

He is not even close to being mobile enough to play 6. Just stick him where he belongs, calling the lineout from the row.

I have no time for the Wallabies playing players out of position. It doesn't work.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
TK needs to just put some of his test performances into Super off the Kava in the offseason. The guys our best defensive 13, Just needs to get back to the TK who was playing skittles with SpringBok and Kiwis.

And if not his given great service to Aus and Brumbies..

Lolesio will make a big difference - Kuenzle was too deep against the Reds as he doesn't quite present the same running threat, so TK was constantly under pressure.

Played badly regardless, but that certainly didn't help.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
As I understand it, we have a very large coaching team.
Director of Rugby - Scott Johnson
Head Coach - Dave Rennie
Assistant Coach ( attack) Scott Wisemantel
Assistant Coach (defence) Matt Taylor
Assistant Coach (line outs) Geoff Parling
Assistant Coach (scrums) Petrus du Plessis

That's quite a big organisational structure.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
5 coaches for a 46 man squad? sounds about right.

I doubt Johnson will be doing much actual coaching.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Head Coach - Dave Rennie

Remember the Dean's years? 6 coaches in total:

Head Coach: Robbie Deans
Assistant Coach: David Nucifora
Defense Coach: Phil Blake
Forwards Coach: Jim Williams
Scrum Coach: Patricio Noriega
Kicking Coach: Braam van Straaten

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Wasn't van Straaten just doing a couple of kicking coaching sessions via Skype? Not really in the kitchen at all

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
He is not even close to being mobile enough to play 6. Just stick him where he belongs, calling the lineout from the row.

I have no time for the Wallabies playing players out of position. It doesn't work.

When Rassie insisted that PsdT moves to blindside everyone said he is too slow. But I take your point. There has been too much fiddling wiht people out of position out the lat few years,

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Head Coach - Dave Rennie

A Kiwi, a pom and a Saffa!

UNAUSTRALIAN MATE!

4991832-3x2-xlarge.jpg

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
In all seriousness I don't think Rennie and his coaching team are going to drastically alter the Wallabies fortunes compared to previous years. Has anyone considered that (after churning out coach after coach through the years) Cheika, Link and Deans all with winning percentages under 60, that perhaps the players are the issue here - rather than the coaches?

When Robbie Deans was coach, there were little quality front row options in Australia, he had no forward pack and a bunch of wayward teengagers in the backline, yet he still managed to keep the Wallabies at number 2 in the world for three years..

Everyone is acting like Rennie will be the messiah to bring the Wallabies back to glory days, yet everyone expected an up-turn in results with Link then Cheika after Deans was sacked in 2013. Yet Link and Cheika both ended with 50% winning records compared to Deans 58.7%, yet everyone refers to the 'Deans years' as if he was the worst thing that ever happened.

Most impressively, Deans finished with a 65% success rate against the some of strongest Springboks 23's on paper to ever grace the field.

Personally, I think Rennie would have to do extremely well to finish anywhere close to Dean's respectable 58.7%.

I think 55% win percentage would be excellent. Anything over that would have to be considered over-achieving.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In all seriousness I don't think Rennie and his coaching team are going to drastically alter the Wallabies fortunes compared to previous years. Has anyone considered that (after churning out coach after coach through the years) Cheika, Link and Deans all with winning percentages under 60, that perhaps the players are the issue here - rather than the coaches?

300px-My_Goodness_What_an_Idea.jpg

Could you Kiwis fuck off for three seconds and let us enjoy Rugby for the 3 days a year where we havn't had our souls ripped out our arses three times in a row by you fucknuts.