• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Rennie isn't bringing back Skelton is he?

Skelton and Arnold locking duo with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) on the bench would've been incredible.

Unconfirmed re: Skelton and Arnold.

Neither will be available for the Bledisloe as it falls outside the World Rugby window.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Genuine question, how hard is it to actually call and run a lineout in a professional team?

Happy to be challenged on it but i can't see it being THAT hard

It is a specific talent. Bit like 9 needs to be able to read ruck strategy, 10 needs to be able to read the game play, and 15 should be able to manage the back line.

Reading the line out is a talent and not every lock is good at it. At international level you really want the line out caller to already be experienced. Not just a lock you’ve made do with a few moments training once they squad is assembled.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, that's why -- as much as I can't believe I'm actually saying this -- we need to start Rob 'I do dumb shit' Simmons. He's the best lineout operator in Australia, and for the moment he has been playing good fotty.
He's also probably a good option for captain, sees out his 12 month stint then Rennie can choose his captain for the future having some time to get to really know the players before making that decision.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Genuine question, how hard is it to actually call and run a lineout in a professional team?

Happy to be challenged on it but i can't see it being THAT hard

The person normally tasked with running the lineout does so offensively and defensively. They study the opposition. They watch lots of tape. They get to know the Hookers and jumpers of all the teams they oppose. They study formations. They eye up the opposition as they walk towards the lineout and yell instructions. Some teams have defensive codes to quickly convey who forms up in defense.

It is a real craft. Not something you pick up in a couple of weeks before a test match.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah, that's why -- as much as I can't believe I'm actually saying this -- we need to start Rob 'I do dumb shit' Simmons. He's the best lineout operator in Australia, and for the moment he has been playing good fotty.
He's also probably a good option for captain, sees out his 12 month stint then Rennie can choose his captain for the future having some time to get to really know the players before making that decision.

But you cannot play him and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) together as far as I am concerned. Too similar.

One or the other. If you play Wright at 6 you do not need Simmons just so he can call the lineout.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah, I agree with this.

Samu was great in the lineout too.

Wright on the bench covering 6 and 7 and Samu is the backup 8.

+1

Hope to see that.

In which case LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Simmons will have to call the lineout with someone else at 4.

One other option is to play a tearaway off the bench like Mcreight as LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is able to cover 6.

So:

Philip, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Samu, Hooper, Wilson

Bench: Mcreight, Simmonds (eek)

That would be my preference. Mcreight is the kind of player who can come on and get that crucial turnover + he is quick and very good with ball in hand.

Simmonds has played a bit of 6 in Super Rugby before (eek eek eek). Just trying to be factual here.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If nationality was a problem he and Ruan would be considered foreign development players wouldnt they? And only be eligible for 2 year contracts, which hasn't been the case. Between the two of them they've had stints at the Brumbies, Reds and Rebels over 8 years.

He finished his schooling in Australia and has been living here essentially for 10 years. He may have played for a South African youth team though? Does that change his selection availability.

To my knowledge they are citizens and should be eligible. I think Ruan has come on in leaps and bounds. He played back row at school. He might well be knocking on the door at some point.

I don't know tbh, just throwing it out there. His accent is still think enough to cut oak so I just assumed he was borderline.

Mate. You should hear me after 21 years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To my knowledge they are citizens and should be eligible. I think Ruan has come on in leaps and bounds. He played back row at school. He might well be knocking on the door at some point.

I think they are both eligible now but citizenship doesn't come into the eligibility criteria.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

I'm fairly sure JP played outside center at Toowomba Grammar at least until he was 15 or 16, not sure when he converted to prop.

I don't think either will get an opportunity to crack the Wallabies, my mail says they are both off overseas now, and being 30 this year, they may not have too much left in the tank when they finally return home.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm fairly sure JP played outside center at Toowomba Grammar at least until he was 15 or 16, not sure when he converted to prop.

I don't think either will get an opportunity to crack the Wallabies, my mail says they are both off overseas now, and being 30 this year, they may not have too much left in the tank when they finally return home.

At 30 a good prop is just entering his prime and could have 5 or 6 years left.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
At 30 a good prop is just entering his prime and could have 5 or 6 years left.

Sure, but if it's a line ball call with a player 5+ years younger than them, they're never going to get a look in.

Harry Johnson-Holmes could be the 3rd choice on either side and he's 23.

I don't know that anyone would push for JP or Ruan Smith being significantly better than him.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yep Braveheart I agree.

Those two haven't yet had a look into the Wallabies setup and if they don't get back on Aussie shore until 32 or 33, it's an uphill battle to shift out the blokes who are already in front of them, you'd have a prime Tupou for example.

It would be a bit different if they went overseas now as the incumbent Wallabies front rowers, came back down the track and were given another shot.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Why is everyone so low on Simmons, I don't think Phillip has been particularly better?
And why can't you play Simmons and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) together?

Simmons is a 100 test Wallaby for all 'teh eXpErIeNcE' everyone goes on about for Hooper why doesn't Simmons get that same credit -- he's been playing bloody good rugby this year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why is everyone so low on Simmons, I don't think Phillip has been particularly better?

Simmons is a 100 test Wallaby for all 'teh eXpErIeNcE' everyone goes on about for Hooper why doesn't Simmons get that same credit -- he's been playing bloody good rugby this year.

Simmons has been solid. Philip has been a standout for his team each and every week.

Simmons gets some extra credit for the Tahs having the best lineout of the Aussie teams but it seems to me you haven't been watching many Rebels/Tahs games if you're thinking the form of Simmons and Philip were comparable.

Likewise, Simmons and Hooper being the same selection decision because they've both got similar test experience.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Locks are the engine house of go forward in the pack. Loosies have other roles and the front row doesn’t necessarily have the legs after 15 scrum re-sets.

Simmons is a line out guru and has a huge rep in the scrum. But his pick and drive is a pick and flop. He just doesn’t have the muscle mongrel to be a ruck buster. So that role goes to your number 4 (loose head lock). But LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is light for an international lock. He’s great but in general paddock work you would be better having him with, say, Skelton.

And the line out would fail.

Simmo is fabulous but he does not offer everything you want in an ideal 5.