• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Froggy, the front row really needs to be looked at with a very critical analytical examination.

Scott Sio's scrum performance last night should be examined. It looked like a couple of penalties that went against him were dubious to say the least, and many posters are saying the same. Sio's problems up until now have been related to pulling the opposition THP down as he moves his bind to under the body and has his elbow pointing to the ground. I don't think there was one instance of that happening last night. It was the opposite where the Reds front row, Tupou and BPA, were first to be popped out of the scrum. Those were wins to Sio and FF (Folau Fainga'a), but the penalties went to the Reds. In general play, Sio and Slipper play different games. Sio looks to dominate in contact while Slipper is a little more nuanced. Scott had a very strong game in open play in his 50 - 60 minutes, while Slipper had a tiring Tupou to cope with at scrum time towards the end. I would persist with Sio to start for the Wallabies with James on the bench.

OTOH, Taniela Tupou had a very quiet game for him. Definitely a couple of scrums where he looked to be displaced by Sio, and there apparently is some thought that he doesn't always stay straight when pushing. The last scrum of the night was instructive, I thought. Tupou was angled in at about 45 degrees before the ball was even fed, so it looks like there might be some fire behind the smoke. We certainly don't want one of our most valuable and dangerous Wallabies being whistled out of the game in test matches if there is anything suspect about his scrummaging. We won't be able to rely on an impartial referee's apparent lack of knowledge about scrums to gain ascendency.

Alan Ala'alatoa last night was the busiest front rower on the ground. Don't think he had any issues at scrum time at all, and he constantly made ground through the tackle. In fact, he was the pick of the THPs on display in the final. Defense wise, he was significantly superior to Tupou who missed a couple of critical tackles in the lead up to Brumbies tries. Either AAA or Tupou, if his technique is clear, will more often than not finish on top of the opposition in upcoming tests. I would prefer Tupou to start, but not if he's got question marks. Time for some close analysis of his scrumming technique I think.

With the hookers, I think FF (Folau Fainga'a) has established himself as the front runner. I am still questioning Uelese's suitability. It has looked to me during the SRAu competition that he has some deficiencies in defense. Seems to fall off a lot of tackles and that could be a weak point of his.

How good was Darcy Swain too???

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reg, maybe ask the same question this time next year. But I am very happy to see the development in Blyth during SRAu. Unfortunate to miss the cut for the Wallabies squad. Better than two locks who were included.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The last couple of weeks have clarified a few things in my mind. I'll start with the front row, add posts on other positions later. FF (Folau Fainga'a) is the best 2 we have onshore, and has to get the gig. If they bring Latu back, he's better IF he's fit, but that's a big if. Uelese is our obvious back-up, but it just depends on whether we can get enough duct tape and tie-wire to hold him together. BPA is a good player, but I dread the thought of losing a test in the last five minutes due to a shit line-out throw.
For mine Slipper must start at loose head. He is just as good around the park as Sio, but a much better scrummager. Sio off the bench.
While I'm a big AAA fan (and this isn't just one of those backhand compliments, I genuinely think he's a class player) Thor has made himself impossible to leave out. AAA off the bench.

Agreed. I hope to see starting:
Slipper
Fainga
Thor

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’ve always rated McCaffrey highly. Based on a couple of his performances over the last couple of weeks I can’t help but wonder if he had been able to grab the 6 jersey earlier, would we have a clear leader in the race for the Wallaby 6 jersey.

J

JeepsTragic

I thought Sio played his best game this year last night but Slips gets the #1 every day, smartest man on the field.

I thought JP was the best lose head on the field by some margin. His scrummaging is first rate and he did some god things around the field. I dont understand why he has consistently been overlooked for even the extended squad.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
nationality maybe?

If nationality was a problem he and Ruan would be considered foreign development players wouldnt they? And only be eligible for 2 year contracts, which hasn't been the case. Between the two of them they've had stints at the Brumbies, Reds and Rebels over 8 years.

He finished his schooling in Australia and has been living here essentially for 10 years. He may have played for a South African youth team though? Does that change his selection availability.

Reactions: Tex

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I don't know tbh, just throwing it out there. His accent is still think enough to cut oak so I just assumed he was borderline.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Here's my Big Powerful Backline for best chance to nab back Bledisloe. Dual play-making roles ensure both Lolesio and O'Conner can operate at first-receiver. Similar to how All Black's backline operates with Mo'unga and Barrett at 10,15.

9. McDermott
10. Noah Lolesio
11. Tom Wright
12. Samu Kerevi
13. Jordan Petaia
14. Filipo Daugunu
15. James O'Conner

Explosive bench:

22. Irae Simone (replaces Kerevi, Petaia shifts to wing for last 15 minutes).
23. Marika Koroibete

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
McDermott's biggest issue at Wallabies level is going to be his inability to box kick. He's probably our best player in pretty much every other facet of halfback play but a lack of a box kick is a real issue at test level.

I think White will be the starting halfback.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Moving on to the rest of the forward pack. Assuming no overseas players for the moment, I am clear LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philip are our two best performing locks and should be starting. If we bring back an overseas lock, imo it depends who that is. If it's Arnold, Philip goes to the bench, however if it's Skelton I move LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to the bench, as I think we then need Philip for the line-out. Assuming no overseas players, I have Simmons on the bench for safety.
In the back row, while McReight has enormous potential, I definitely want Hooper at 7. I would have had Isi at 8, but given that's not an option my choice would be Samu. Wilson has a great work rate, but from what I saw on the weekend he's not a starter yet. 6 is really tough. I would love to have Valetini there, but I just think he drifts in and out of a match too often. I would select Wright, who lacks that explosiveness but has a very sound all-round game and is also a good line-out option. The choice for bench backrow is between Wilson and Valetini, and I am going to opt for the extra power of Valetini.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
To those criticizing BPA's throwing there wasn't too much wrong with his throws, maybe a touch lower than you'd like but seriously nothing wrong with BPA's throws -- the Brumbies were just very very good on the defensive lineout, they were probably watching Reds lineouts constantly the last two weeks. Plus the Reds were really down to only one genuine jumper in Wright with Blyth, and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) having come off at the end; while Willson and McReight have been used in drips and drabs they aren't good enough to be a first option against the well oiled Brumbies lineout machine.

And yes JP is the possibly the best scrimmaging LHP in Australia by some margin, he's as good as anyone in World Rugby -- around the park he falls behind but you put him and 'Nella in a scrum and they aren't likely to go backwards.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To those criticizing BPA's throwing there wasn't too much wrong with his throws, maybe a touch lower than you'd like but seriously nothing wrong with BPA's throws

It's very hard to really tell exactly how much BPA was to blame because we don't know the timing cues as to who was throwing things off.

The lineout was a debacle from the start. I'm not sure replacements really made things worse.

Whatever the case, it's not going to help BPA's cause trying to get a spot in the Wallabies 23. The lineout woes weren't limited to the final.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Moving on to the rest of the forward pack. Assuming no overseas players for the moment, I am clear LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philip are our two best performing locks and should be starting. If we bring back an overseas lock, imo it depends who that is. If it's Arnold, Philip goes to the bench, however if it's Skelton I move LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to the bench, as I think we then need Philip for the line-out. Assuming no overseas players, I have Simmons on the bench for safety.
In the back row, while McReight has enormous potential, I definitely want Hooper at 7. I would have had Isi at 8, but given that's not an option my choice would be Samu. Wilson has a great work rate, but from what I saw on the weekend he's not a starter yet. 6 is really tough. I would love to have Valetini there, but I just think he drifts in and out of a match too often. I would select Wright, who lacks that explosiveness but has a very sound all-round game and is also a good line-out option. The choice for bench backrow is between Wilson and Valetini, and I am going to opt for the extra power of Valetini.
6. Wright 7. Hooper 8. Samu is just too light imo. I thought Wilson was good on Saturday, I reckon he starts with Samu at 6.