• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
D, I can't agree with your rating of Joe Powell. First, Nic White is still contracted overseas until later in the tear, so I'd be against using him until he is available permanently. Of the others, Powell had the most impressive Super season this year and was rated above both McDermott and Gordon by Michael Cheika and presumably Scott Johnson. Given the Brumbies look to have the strongest forward pack again next year, I expect Powell will again show his worth as an all round No 9. McDermott is a big chance of getting in there too, though.

I fail to see what you Canberrans see in Powell which makes him so good.. I’d argue his own coaching staff don’t even see him as a long term starter at that level if they’ve gone out and chased after Nic White.

I think the only reason Powell was rated above McDermott for the Wallabies this year, was purely an experience factor, McDermott was far too raw and Powell had at least had previous exposure to the Wallabies training camps. Didn’t help McDermott that he was injured for the back end of the season as well.

I’m going to comfortably say that McDermott will leap frog Powell in the pecking order in 2020.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
I fail to see what you Canberrans see in Powell.. I’d argue his own coaching staff don’t even see him as a long term starter at that level if they’ve gone out and chased after Nic White.

I think the only reason Powell was rated above McDermott for the Wallabies this year, was purely an experience factor, McDermott was far too raw and Powell had at least had previous exposure to the Wallabies training camps. Didn’t help McDermott that he was injured for the back end of the season as well.

I’m going to comfortably say that McDermott will leap frog Powell in the pecking order in 2020.

Powell is the half back answer to Hanigan. Will gently disappear and move to Europe or go back to being a chippy. Won’t be in the Brumbies 23 by mid season

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I like Powell's work.
Quick to the breakdown and clears the ball off the ground well.
Good defender.
Runs support lines that help out the ball carriers.
I'm a bit fuzzy on his kicking skills so won't comment.
Now if he'd just cut some of that infuriating hair away from his face and eyes I'd be even more of a fan.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Joe's box kicking is at least as good as any other No 9 in the country. He gets a lot of height and is very accurate when wanting to find the touch line. He actually has quite a long boot on him also when just kicking for territory.

What makes him a favourite with me, is his quick service to his backline and the ability to find the best runner; his defense is top notch both front on and in cover. He really has an all round game for a No 9 and is consistent.

It galls me to say it but I think many fans of other teams just can't see beyond his curly blond locks. McDermott had much the same problem at the Reds before Thorn made him get a hair cut, and now he's widely recognised, myself included, as the up and coming No 9 currently playing Super Rugby in the country. I thin k it has something to do with a reverse Sampson effect.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
Joe's box kicking is at least as good as any other No 9 in the country. He gets a lot of height and is very accurate when wanting to find the touch line. He actually has quite a long boot on him also when just kicking for territory.

What makes him a favourite with me, is his quick service to his backline and the ability to find the best runner; his defense is top notch both front on and in cover. He really has an all round game for a No 9 and is consistent.

It galls me to say it but I think many fans of other teams just can't see beyond his curly blond locks. McDermott had much the same problem at the Reds before Thorn made him get a hair cut, and now he's widely recognised, myself included, as the up and coming No 9 currently playing Super Rugby in the country. I think it has something to do with a reverse Sampson effect.

Powell will be 3rd rank, White, when he arrives and Lonergan ahead. He may end up in Melb, hard to see him on NSW radar. They have a number of options.I thought the Force 9 was very interesting Someone on here gave him a push a week ago.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It galls me to say it but I think many fans of other teams just can't see beyond his curly blond locks..

I can confidently say my assessment of the preferred halfback has nothing to haircuts if I’m advocating for Tate ‘get a haircut’ McDermott, and everything to do about ability and potential, they could have a rats tail for all I care.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

It galls me to say it but I think many fans of other teams just can't see beyond his curly blond locks. McDermott had much the same problem at the Reds before Thorn made him get a hair cut, and now he's widely recognised, myself included, as the up and coming No 9 currently playing Super Rugby in the country. I thin k it has something to do with a reverse Sampson effect.

I think it's his quirky running style that puts people off. Powell is by far the most well-rounded half-back in Aus rugby, he is solid at everything but a master at none.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Honest question, why wasn’t Powell starting for the Vikings in the NRC GF if he is apparently the wallaby heir? Why would the Brumbies recruit a player to replace him to as the starting half?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Honest question, why wasn’t Powell starting for the Vikings in the NRC GF if he is apparently the wallaby heir? Why would the Brumbies recruit a player to replace him to as the starting half?

1. Because it wouldn’t be right to demote Lonergan who has been with the Vikings all season and playing well..........

2. Depth......... it’s why they’ve also signed Fines, and would sign Genia, McDermott and Gordon too if it was possible.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
1. Because it wouldn’t be right to demote Lonergan who has been with the Vikings all season and playing well....

2. Depth... it’s why they’ve also signed Fines, and would sign Genia, McDermott and Gordon too if it was possible.

1), Powell has been available since 10 Sep, yet he has sat on the bench some games and played 0 min?

2) No I don’t think they would sign all those players for a position like halfback, salary do caps exist. And reduced game times is likely to push one down the pecking order for higher honours. Powell needs to be playing to push his wallaby chances, unless white gets injured that going to be limited to 5mins a game. No doubt the Brumbies conducted the same analysis, and Powell has considered that outcome as wel.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No, Powell has been back for a few weeks, but him being on the bench is less about his abilities and more about Lonergan who is an excellent halfback, and has been a mainstay for the team the last few years.........

Anyways, that’s a lot of speculation about what the Brumbies halfback pecking order will be by the time White comes back in 2021......... a lot can happen by that time.

Until then of course Powell will be squarely in the conversation for the Wallabies next year - he was the third choice squad member off the back of being the best performing Australian halfback for the latter half of the Super season, and not for the first time in the last few years..........

Who are the other options?

McDermott? Gordon? The former is the possibility, whereas the latter had a very poor year.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I imagine White would be #1, but will to keep proving himself to stay there. I think we have dismissed Powell too soon and he should be under solid consideration.

Tate and others like him have a shot as it is not a clear field, but they are not in front of Powell in my books. Not yet anyway.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Powell will be 3rd rank, White, when he arrives and Lonergan ahead. He may end up in Melb, hard to see him on NSW radar. They have a number of options.I thought the Force 9 was very interesting Someone on here gave him a push a week ago.

White cannot be ranked No 1 until he arrives and plays in 2021.

I cannot see Ryan overtaking Joe in any circumstances. IMO he only started in some NRC games because Nic Scvrivener wanted a goal kicker on to take penalty goal shots. I think, in the context of the NRC, that was the wrong way to go.

Isaac Fines is the No 9 who played for the Force and he has been signed by the Brumbies for next year. He will most likely be the challenger to Joe if there is one in 2020.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I can confidently say my assessment of the preferred halfback has nothing to haircuts if I’m advocating for Tate ‘get a haircut’ McDermott, and everything to do about ability and potential, they could have a rats tail for all I care.

Glad to hear it. I don't think you are necessarily typical of other negative posters towards Joe, though. There have been posts alluding to his hair, one not far above in this thread.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I have mentioned elsewhere that I think Nic Scrivener wanted a goal kicker to start. Wrong option imo.

Nic White was brought back to Aus by Cheika and RA. He had signed for the Wallabies some time ago and had then to find a Super Rugby side to sign with. I can imagine the pressure RA would have been exerting. I have no qualms at all with Nic turning out for the Brumbies, but who knows what will happen team/squad-wise by the end of next year. Joe might be wanting to take a contract overseas for a couple of years for development purposes and the opportunity to earn more. It is not a foregone conclusion that he and Nic would be competing for a spot in 2021.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
1), Powell has been available since 10 Sep, yet he has sat on the bench some games and played 0 min?

2) No I don’t think they would sign all those players for a position like halfback, salary do caps exist. And reduced game times is likely to push one down the pecking order for higher honours. Powell needs to be playing to push his wallaby chances, unless white gets injured that going to be limited to 5mins a game. No doubt the Brumbies conducted the same analysis, and Powell has considered that outcome as wel.

Adam, you do realise that White won't be here next year don't you - I've posted that little tidbit of info at least 4 or 5 times over the past couple of weeks. Joe will be the starting No 9 next year for the Brumbies. It will be up to Fines (possible) or Lonergan (unlikely) to displace him. No-one knows what Joe's plans are for 2021 and beyond. Right now, Powell is the No 1 No 9 in the Brumbies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have never been a fan of Itoje. But last night he gave a master class in lock play. Great energy, skill and the pace of a backrower. By comparison, both Whitelock and Retallick looked like left overs from a bye-gone era. I wonder if he is indicative the future for locks. The necessary lineout and scrumming skills of a lock combined with the ability to play an up tempo game in the fashion of a back rower. Maybe the old lock version typified by John Eales is no longer relevant to the way the game is evolving.

Of our current locks, I'd include all of Coleman, Arnold, Simmons, and probably Rodda as Eales-type players. Proper lineout practitioners, good at scrum time and mostly good at passive defense (by which I mean waiting for the ball runner to come to them), but largely mostly quite poor runners of the ball and not providing any real threat at the breakdown. Itoje does it all, including being very active in rush defense and always a threat over the ball at the breakdown. I would say, Peter Stef du Toit is another who can do most things.

Do we have anyone who could play the type of game on display by Itoje. I don't think so. Maybe Mat Philip would be closest, and Holloway also has some of those characteristics when playing in the second row. Unfortunately, when I look at the talent coming through in Hockings, Blyth and Swain, I think they all look more like Eales than Itoje.

Maybe it's time for a rethink by our coaches on the type of player we want our locks to be.

EDIT : It occurs to me that maybe the reason I have been impressed with Fergus Lee-Warner at the Force is because he is more of the Itoje type of player than an Eales type.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I have mentioned elsewhere that I think Nic Scrivener wanted a goal kicker to start. Wrong option imo.

Nic White was brought back to Aus by Cheika and RA. He had signed for the Wallabies some time ago and had then to find a Super Rugby side to sign with. I can imagine the pressure RA would have been exerting. I have no qualms at all with Nic turning out for the Brumbies, but who knows what will happen team/squad-wise by the end of next year. Joe might be wanting to take a contract overseas for a couple of years for development purposes and the opportunity to earn more. It is not a foregone conclusion that he and Nic would be competing for a spot in 2021.

Seems an odd decision to leave Powell out of the starting XV if he is that much better though.
I don’t dislike the guy, it just pricks my interest when his name keeps getting thrown around by some members on here as the starting Wallaby halfback, I don’t see a test quality half back in him. And I don’t think wallaby 9 position is his to lose, it’s wide open, if anything I think he could struggle to hold the starting position at the Brumbies, let alone the wallabies.

Happy for more competition in the spot though.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I have never been a fan of Itoje. But last night he gave a master class in lock play. Great energy, skill and the pace of a backrower. By comparison, both Whitelock and Retallick looked like left overs from a bye-gone era. I wonder if he is indicative the future for locks. The necessary lineout and scrumming skills of a lock combined with the ability to play an up tempo game in the fashion of a back rower. Maybe the old lock version typified by John Eales is no longer relevant to the way the game is evolving.

Of our current locks, I'd include all of Coleman, Arnold, Simmons, and probably Rodda as Eales-type players. Proper lineout practitioners, good at scrum time and mostly good at passive defense (by which I mean waiting for the ball runner to come to them), but largely mostly quite poor runners of the ball and not providing any real threat at the breakdown. Itoje does it all, including being very active in rush defense and always a threat over the ball at the breakdown. I would say, Peter Stef du Toit is another who can do most things.

Do we have anyone who could play the type of game on display by Itoje. I don't think so. Maybe Mat Philip would be closest, and Holloway also has some of those characteristics when playing in the second row. Unfortunately, when I look at the talent coming through in Hockings, Blyth and Swain, I think they all look more like Eales than Itoje.

Maybe it's time for a rethink by our coaches on the type of player we want our locks to be.

EDIT : It occurs to me that maybe the reason I have been impressed with Fergus Lee-Warner at the Force is because he is more of the Itoje type of player than an Eales type.

Some good points but I think a large element is the fact that Itoje is just a freaky athlete. Agree Matt Philip looks to be the closest we have, I thought he was unlucky as he was having a pretty good season before the Rebels pack disintegrated and basically all of the players bar Naisarani were overlooked for selection.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Some good points but I think a large element is the fact that Itoje is just a freaky athlete. Agree Matt Philip looks to be the closest we have, I thought he was unlucky as he was having a pretty good season before the Rebels pack disintegrated and basically all of the players bar Naisarani were overlooked for selection.

Yeah I would love to be able to emulate Itoje but I don't think we can, he's just such an incredible athlete. In saying that, we've seen him be negated before and ineffective. I think the stars aligned last night and I think that if the Wallabies were offered Retallick or Itoje, I'd take Retallick.