• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Look, I'm loving what JOC (James O'Connor) is doing at the Reds including at 10, but honest. If JOC (James O'Connor) is 10 there is either a very weird performance gestalt leap happening, or it is a sad state of affairs in Aus.

You have to take one of the new guys with him/To'omua, surely.

We're playing Ireland, as well as the usual suspects. Whoever they pick ought to be good at a territory kicking game at the very least. Not that I know who that should be. Hopefully someone stakes a big claim.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, I'd say judging on current Super Rugby form O'Connor is probably the front runner for the flyhalf spot. He looked a little shaky against the Lions but settled into it well, and against the Jags he was one of the best on ground.

Obviously To'omua is in the running, but I don't think he'll have the form to back it.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Look, I'm loving what JOC (James O'Connor) is doing at the Reds including at 10, but honest. If JOC (James O'Connor) is 10 there is either a very weird performance gestalt leap happening, or it is a sad state of affairs in Aus.

You have to take one of the new guys with him/To'omua, surely.
I agree for the most part, not ideal if JOC (James O'Connor)/To'omua are at 10 but I’m finding it hard to see Lolesio or Harrison starting, at least immediately (very happy to be proven wrong on this, however). Outside them who else is there? The ‘Nard back on a Giteau ticket? That’s not something I really want to consider.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I actually think Stewart has looked good in first receiver for the Reds.

I think Harrison has shown he's not ready, I'd still be hopeful to see Lolesio show he's capable. Plus Lucas is also an option.

What about Quade, he's eligible. LOL

B

Bobby Sands

I actually think Stewart has looked good in first receiver for the Reds.

I think Harrison has shown he's not ready, I'd still be hopeful to see Lolesio show he's capable. Plus Lucas is also an option.

What about Quade, he's eligible. LOL

I reckon Rennie will chat with Quade for sure.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
You'd think that the midfield would be a combo of MT, JOC (James O'Connor) and TK at this stage, with MT and JOC (James O'Connor) swapping between 10 and 12.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Couple people mentioned JOC (James O'Connor) at 13 as he is the incumbent. With no Kerevi at 12, and considering in attack JOC (James O'Connor) played 12 anyway, I think it's safe to say that the only person who would play JOC (James O'Connor) regularly at 13 is Cheika...

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I don't know that To'omua is actually too likely to find himself in the XV let alone the 23. Sure he's a good player, but Rennie has sounded as if he'll be picking on Super Rugby form and if the Rebels persist with To'omua at 10, I don't know how much form he will find. To'omua is actually one of my favorite players but every interview from Rennie I've seen he's indicated there really won't be 'incumbents'. Especially considering our past performance that's not an unreasonable position to take.

The other player who might find themselves left out in the cold is Beale, he's yet to look like making much noise for the Waratahs. I think once you start actually looking at constructing a team on form things get really interesting, at this stage it'd be largely the Brumbies and Reds (despite the Reds being 0-3), they are the only teams with any real form, even the Rebels last week kinda muddled through getting the win, but they looked awful doing it.

On O'Connor at 13, I actually think it was a good idea, once you assume you are playing Kerevi at 12, and he was probably our best player if not at least our best back, she he'd be first guy down on the team sheet. But that's the type of player O'Connor is (now) you could play him anywhere in the backline (maybe not fullback?) and he'll give you quality.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I reckon it should be carte blanche when someone has immigrated with their parents before the age of 18......

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Louwrens eligibility uncertain. RA are currently working with World Rugby on clarification.

Pretty sure he was in Japan for a few month, not sure how that wouldn't have been living there. That'd remove any residence argument, given he's born in South Africa I don't see too much scope World Rugby have to say he's an Aussie. But regardless, we ought to be looking at Powell, Gordon and McDermott ahead of Louwrens IMO.
If they overlook our crop of halfbacks who have been snubbed once already they'll just leave and go overseas. This is the real problem we have with picking our sides, we take what's new and shiny rather than rewarding loyalty and consistency.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Pretty sure he was in Japan for a few month, not sure how that wouldn't have been living there. That'd remove any residence argument, given he's born in South Africa I don't see too much scope World Rugby have to say he's an Aussie. But regardless, we ought to be looking at Powell, Gordon and McDermott ahead of Louwrens IMO.
If they overlook our crop of halfbacks who have been snubbed once already they'll just leave and go overseas. This is the real problem we have with picking our sides, we take what's new and shiny rather than rewarding loyalty and consistency.

There are 2 different paths to residency qualification:
  • 3 years consecutive residency(changes to 5 years consecutive at the end of this year).
OR
  • 10 years cumulative residency.

Louwrens came over at 16 and is 28 now, but he has spent some time in SA and Japan, so he may not be there yet, but I don't think he spent longer then 2 years back in SA, so he'd have to be pretty bloody close on that count. Not sure if his ban complicates things.