• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Jack Bowen U16 NSW last year. Not a bad little player. Good boot. Mason Gordon played over the top of him in last years U16 National Championships. Both players competing for the U18 Aus flyhalf position.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I hope to see the following:

9. McDermott 10. Lolesio 12. Simone

When i say hope, i mean i hope they all kick on and play well enough to warrant selection.
Lolesio is doing well but not wallaby material yet - let’s keep it real - at best he goes on tour with wallabies as development player end of the year. I also think while Simone performing well not wallaby standard.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Lolesio is doing well but not wallaby material yet - let’s keep it real - at best he goes on tour with wallabies as development player end of the year. I also think while Simone performing well not wallaby standard.

Well, if no Lolesio it'll presumably be JOC (James O'Connor) which leaves us pretty short at 12. The options are: Stewart, Hunt, Meakes and Simone.

Simone takes that with Stewart next up.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
At the moment, from what I have seen (which is not all games) I would think O'Connor and To'omua at 10 and 12 seems most likely. But it is good to see some new blood throwing their hats in as well - competition is good!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some thoughts on the 10/12/13 spots in the Wallabies.

Funny thing, before the season commenced, there were quite a few fans talking up the chances on either Lucas or Harrison filling the Wallaby No 10 spot. But reality has set in and neither is a certain starter at Super level. Lolesio on the other hand has (surprisingly to me) taken to the Brumbies 10 spot with relish. What I like about him, is his inclination to run straight and hard at the defensive line and look to offload in the tackle which he did the great effect against the Chiefs. He must come into consideration if his form stays up, but I do think either JOC (James O'Connor) or MT will get the call for the first few tests at least.

JOC (James O'Connor) and MT are also very much in the mix for the 12 spot. How their chances will be affected if at all by continuing to play 10 for the Reds and Rebels is anybody's guess. Simone is the most creative of all the Aussie Super No 12s. He had an excellent year in 2019 and is going from strength to strength this year. He will step up to test level if selected.

Interesting that Jordie Petaia was the golden boy in waiting last year and widely held he would usurp TK at 13 for the Wallabies (which he effectively did with Cheika at the helm - but Cheika's ability to turn a blind eye to form and skill levels is stuff of legend). Now that he's out for a lengthy period again, magically his one or two game replacement at the Reds is all the rage among some for the Wallaby spot. As they tend to say down in Vic, stop pulling the pud. TK is still one of the best 13s in world rugby and ought to be a lay down misere for the spot.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, if no Lolesio it'll presumably be JOC (James O'Connor) which leaves us pretty short at 12. The options are: Stewart, Hunt, Meakes and Simone.

Simone takes that with Stewart next up.

To'omua? Especially as he is actually more a 12 than 10 - heck you actually remind me there are not too many options for 12...

None of those options you mentioned are wallaby grade imo but yes lack of options means that might not matter

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
I really like some of the young talent coming through but we really need to manage these guys and not throw them to the wolves too early. They still need to be playing with some old heads. I’d like to see starts for maybe Valetini and McDermott, with others like Lolesio and eventually Wilson slowly eased into the environment. JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua in at 10 and 12, and absolutely TK at 13.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Funny thing, before the season commenced, there were quite a few fans talking up the chances on either Lucas or Harrison filling the Wallaby No 10 spot. But reality has set in and neither is a certain starter at Super level. Lolesio on the other hand has (surprisingly to me) taken to the Brumbies 10 spot with relish. What I like about him, is his inclination to run straight and hard at the defensive line and look to offload in the tackle which he did the great effect against the Chiefs. He must come into consideration if his form stays up, but I do think either JOC (James O'Connor) or MT will get the call for the first few tests at least.

JOC (James O'Connor) and MT are also very much in the mix for the 12 spot. How their chances will be affected if at all by continuing to play 10 for the Reds and Rebels is anybody's guess. Simone is the most creative of all the Aussie Super No 12s. He had an excellent year in 2019 and is going from strength to strength this year. He will step up to test level if selected.

Interesting that Jordie Petaia was the golden boy in waiting last year and widely held he would usurp TK at 13 for the Wallabies (which he effectively did with Cheika at the helm - but Cheika's ability to turn a blind eye to form and skill levels is stuff of legend). Now that he's out for a lengthy period again, magically his one or two game replacement at the Reds is all the rage among some for the Wallaby spot. As they tend to say down in Vic, stop pulling the pud. TK is still one of the best 13s in world rugby and ought to be a lay down misere for the spot.

TK is one of the best 13s in world rugby?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

I agree with the selections in this post but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone actually call for Paisami to be the Wallaby 13 so much as just general praise. Both he and TK played very well on the weekend which can only be a good thing.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

Harrison is classify a starter. Overall I think he’s been okay in a side with the worst performing pack in Super Rugby. Lolesio has been good but I don’t think he’s been superb either, which is understandable given age and experience. We did see him on the back foot against the Highlanders and it wasn’t the best performance going around, hence why I think Harrison has been okay. Lucas in my eyes is a 15 so never really in the 10 discussion. All have performed fairly solidly with Lolesio taking the early season honors.

B

Bobby Sands

Jordy absolutely deserved that spot, and any other narrative is fiction. Easily our best in the quarter final. He played two sub-standard games this season and people want to suggest it was a false dawn. The Reds S&C team have a lot of questions to answer in my opinion by isolating from the main group and focusing on an individual weights program. It left him very undercooked heading into this season.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
At the moment, from what I have seen (which is not all games) I would think O'Connor and To'omua at 10 and 12 seems most likely. But it is good to see some new blood throwing their hats in as well - competition is good!

Not to be too negative, but the competition is really only between the brums and the reds. Out of the Tahs and Rebels only Naisa has put his hand up. Koro has shown some glimpes too which is impressive with limited chances.
Hooper has been okay. Worth a mention because it's Hooper (same with To'omua).

Everyone else doesn't deserve a mention.The other incumbents are playing themselves out of the wallabies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree with the selections in this post but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone actually call for Paisami to be the Wallaby 13 so much as just general praise. Both he and TK played very well on the weekend which can only be a good thing.

I do like the look of Paisami. A lot like Kata at the Brumbies, but both very inexperienced at the moment. If the call for Paisami to be a Wallaby isn't quite the current rage, then there have been a lot of posts suggesting he will, or has, replaced Petaia at 13 for the Reds. Given Petaia is rightly a contender for the Wallaby spot when fit, it is not such a large leap to infer that those posters also see him in the Wallaby 13 jersey.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Harrison is classify a starter. Overall I think he’s been okay in a side with the worst performing pack in Super Rugby. Lolesio has been good but I don’t think he’s been superb either, which is understandable given age and experience. We did see him on the back foot against the Highlanders and it wasn’t the best performance going around, hence why I think Harrison has been okay. Lucas in my eyes is a 15 so never really in the 10 discussion. All have performed fairly solidly with Lolesio taking the early season honors.

I am not picking Lolesio as a Wallaby just yet, but he certainly outplayed Cruden on the weekend. Of course, after being bashed for years by people with agendas about how a 9 or 10 is no good if they play behind a dominant pack, his game against the Chiefs must be seen as an outlier and unlikely to ever be replicated.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I do like the look of Paisami. A lot like Kata at the Brumbies, but both very inexperienced at the moment. If the call for Paisami to be a Wallaby isn't quite the current rage, then there have been a lot of posts suggesting he will, or has, replaced Petaia at 13 for the Reds. Given Petaia is rightly a contender for the Wallaby spot when fit, it is not such a large leap to infer that those posters also see him in the Wallaby 13 jersey.
'When fit' - the lad has a lot to prove on this front. Cant be a Wallaby 13 if you are always crocked.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not to be too negative, but the competition is really only between the brums and the reds. Out of the Tahs and Rebels only Naisa has put his hand up. Koro has shown some glimpes too which is impressive with limited chances.
Hooper has been okay. Worth a mention because it's Hooper (same with To'omua).

Everyone else doesn't deserve a mention.The other incumbents are playing themselves out of the wallabies.

Not sure what my post has to do with your point. I was simply talking about 10 and 12. Almost as if you felt the need to make a redundant point about how crap the Waratahs, and to a degree, the Rebels are. Which probably did not need making, being so bleeding obvious! :D