• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
McKellar is still young for a coach, and it's not like he's going to stop being Australian if they don't snap him up so I don't see why there's any urgency in bringing him into the national setup at the expense of a super rugby side.

What is the ARU afraid of? That he'll finish up with the Brumbies then go overseas? Great! Imagine the Wallabies signing a head coach with international coaching experience. Wouldn't that be a treat?

I would imagine Dan is candidate to replace Rennie in years to come if sticks around

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This theory might be a bit of a stretch but whilst watching the recent Aussie games, I've found myself like most people very impressed with the young'uns. Harrison (after last night) & Bell for the 'Tahs. McReight, Wright, Wilson & the rest of the Reds, Lolesio, Longeran Jnr for the Brumbies. Interestingly no real ones for the Rebels, didn't get many of the great u20s last year. Anyway, all these great players from a pretty stellar youth side that was just beaten arguably undeservingly by a very talented French u20s at last years JRWC. The current French team in the Six Nations has cut away all the former talented but older, jaded and defeated players like Medard, Fofana, Picamoles, Lopez etc. These players are talented and still have years left but have been pretty repetitively spanked on the international stage. Galthié has cleaned house and pretty much replaced the team with the u20s team. This team knows success, they've beaten the best or been the very best and they play with that confidence.

I wonder if we shouldn't do the same, I know those french young players are pretty once in a generation, but our youth have been incredibly successful, have been beating the young all blacks and haven't lost 10 Bledisloes in a row. I hope that we're seeing the fruits of this success now with the Super sides and it's not just a blip.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Mark Ella cautions against relying on this years' young guns.
... Australian rugby needs to continually unearth and develop promising junior talent rather than relying on a single golden generation.
(The Australian)

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Mark Ella cautions against relying on this years' young guns.
... Australian rugby needs to continually unearth and develop promising junior talent rather than relying on a single golden generation.
(The Australian)
Of course they do, but this Golden generation will be peaking at the next World cup. Last years under 20s were pretty freakish and most of them are moving up to the next level seamlessly

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
This theory might be a bit of a stretch but whilst watching the recent Aussie games, I've found myself like most people very impressed with the young'uns. Harrison (after last night) & Bell for the 'Tahs. McReight, Wright, Wilson & the rest of the Reds, Lolesio, Longeran Jnr for the Brumbies. Interestingly no real ones for the Rebels, didn't get many of the great u20s last year. Anyway, all these great players from a pretty stellar youth side that was just beaten arguably undeservingly by a very talented French u20s at last years JRWC. The current French team in the Six Nations has cut away all the former talented but older, jaded and defeated players like Medard, Fofana, Picamoles, Lopez etc. These players are talented and still have years left but have been pretty repetitively spanked on the international stage. Galthié has cleaned house and pretty much replaced the team with the u20s team. This team knows success, they've beaten the best or been the very best and they play with that confidence.

I wonder if we shouldn't do the same, I know those french young players are pretty once in a generation, but our youth have been incredibly successful, have been beating the young all blacks and haven't lost 10 Bledisloes in a row. I hope that we're seeing the fruits of this success now with the Super sides and it's not just a blip.
Our best talents are Semisi Tupou and Hosea, unfortunately Tupou has done his ACL and Hosea expect to see in squads in the coming weeks. Has his first hit out for the season against Tahs A yesterday after injuries to start the season. We all need to remember Taniela Tupou, Uelese, Maddocks, etc. are only slightly older than last years crops. There is plenty of good talent 23 and under

1. Bell
2. Uelese
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valetini
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. Harrison
11. Nawaqanitawase
12. Lolesio
13. Paisami
14. Petaia
15. Maddocks

16. Mafi
17. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
18. ??????
19. Blyth/Hockings
20. Wright
21. Lonergan
22. Lucas
23. Wright/Tupou/Ralston????

All would only be max 30 in 2 World Cup times.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

It is a tempting idea. On the one hand they don't suffer the past experience of being spanked in the Bledisloe year-in, year-out. But on the other hand, if they get absolutely pummelled 2-3 times, it won't help developing confidence. Obviously it is a luxury the ABs generally have, with good back-up options in most positions, so they can bring a few good young ones through steadily. There are certainly some positions where we need to blood some young players, as the older ones holding the fort are not necessarily ideal. I'm thinking lock, 10, 12, 15. I too hope we see some of these players with immense potential stepping forward this year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Our best talents are Semisi Tupou and Hosea, unfortunately Tupou has done his ACL and Hosea expect to see in squads in the coming weeks. Has his first hit out for the season against Tahs A yesterday after injuries to start the season. We all need to remember Taniela Tupou, Uelese, Maddocks, etc. are only slightly older than last years crops. There is plenty of good talent 23 and under

1. Bell
2. Uelese
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valetini
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. Harrison
11. Nawaqanitawase
12. Lolesio
13. Paisami
14. Petaia
15. Maddocks

16. Mafi
17. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
18. ??????
19. Blyth/Hockings
20. Wright
21. Lonergan
22. Lucas
23. Wright/Tupou/Ralston????

All would only be max 30 in 2 World Cup times.

18. Tom Ross

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is currently playing THP.
Harry Hoopert is only 21 as well. I rate him highly as a LHP, certainly ahead of Bell based on scrummaging.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Could Kellaway be our answer to our other winger, good speed, good kicking game can sniff out a try I think his having a bit of a breakout season, surely better then Hodge on the wing.

Although being a Brumbies fan I like the look of Wright.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I would include Will Harrison at flyhalf rather than Noah Lolesio.
I reckon we just need to wait on making a call on those two till we have a larger sample size. Hard to be consistent when you’re a young flyhalf, especially if your pack is going forward some weeks and not others. The good news is that there will be some form of flyhalf competition even if it’s just for a reserve spot.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Could Kellaway be our answer to our other winger, good speed, good kicking game can sniff out a try I think his having a bit of a breakout season, surely better then Hodge on the wing.

Although being a Brumbies fan I like the look of Wright.

I would never in a million years imagined before start of this season that Kellaway could be wallaby winger option but on form for rebels this season he could be a bolter if keeps on Current trajectory - wright another possibility

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I reckon we just need to wait on making a call on those two till we have a larger sample size. Hard to be consistent when you’re a young flyhalf, especially if your pack is going forward some weeks and not others. The good news is that there will be some form of flyhalf competition even if it’s just for a reserve spot.
JOC (James O'Connor) to take over the reigns in the short term and those two to be in the squad/bench.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I would imagine Dan is candidate to replace Rennie in years to come if sticks around

I cant help thinking that Bernie would be much better placed at that time with a lot more relevant experience, I hope, and I would think should have if he is lucky, a CV that shits on Dan.

This thing of anointing early internally does not work for me.

We need coaching pathways from club to Pro. But let's be cautious when we are talking about the WBs.