• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, I agree the almost glut of young talented wingers playing well ought to push the likes of DHP, and Hodge out of the wing spots. Almost makes you wonder why we only had 1 genuine winger in our World Cup Squad...

B

Bobby Sands

Matt Taylor, the prodigal son - in his article talking defence and what winning rugby is, got me far too excited about rugby.

Thank god we got rid of that Cheika bloke - odious.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Matt Taylor, the prodigal son - in his article talking defence and what winning rugby is, got me far too excited about rugby.

Thank god we got rid of that Cheika bloke - odious.

Absolutely - there is plenty to be liking about the new coaching set up at the moment.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't think this is a good idea. McKellar is a good coach, but to anoint him now as Rennie's successor is madness. And it sets him up to fail like Larkham did.

Let the bloke develop his craft at Super level, and maybe actually win something. And then maybe even let him go overseas and learn more. The worst place to put him is on the Wallaby coaching staff IMO.

Would be a good quality forwards coach, though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Succession planning four years out is a ridiculous concept. It only makes sense if that person has to become the next coach (i.e. succession planning in a business when you know that a child of the current boss is going to take over).

McKellar is still a relatively inexperienced head coach. He would surely be better placed to be head coach of the Wallabies in four years time by being a head coach at a lower level prior to then than being an assistant at test level for four years.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Succession planning four years out is a ridiculous concept. It only makes sense if that person has to become the next coach (i.e. succession planning in a business when you know that a child of the current boss is going to take over).

McKellar is still a relatively inexperienced head coach. He would surely be better placed to be head coach of the Wallabies in four years time by being a head coach at a lower level prior to then than being an assistant at test level for four years.

Dunno, haven't NZ been doing it for a while.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
The guy is just starting to hit his straps at the Brumbies. Don’t we need our Super teams to be playing well and getting good results too? I’m a Reds fan and I’d be shitty at him being pinched from the Brumbies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Dunno, haven't NZ been doing it for a while.

You could argue that their results have gone backwards over time too. Steve Hansen also had a couple of years as an international head coach (Wales) before he became an All Blacks assistant coach.

Who knows how Ian Foster will go but it's now 9 years since he was last a head coach (at the Chiefs were he was from 2004-2011).

McKellar is in his third year as a Super Rugby head coach and that's the only head coaching he has done at a fully professional level.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
FFS leave him where he is and let him mature. Wonder why talks with Fisher broke down? He’d be my choice, at least for now.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The guy is just starting to hit his straps at the Brumbies. Don’t we need our Super teams to be playing well and getting good results too? I’m a Reds fan and I’d be shitty at him being pinched from the Brumbies.

And it’s not the first time Brumbies have been impacted like this.